Anthem X Advanced 29'er new forks? Pike???

I picked up a Giant Anthem X advanced 29'er the end of last year. It has been a pretty good bike, nice and light and pretty snappy. I don't know if I LOVE it yet. I know it was designed with a 100mm fork, but I keep wanting more travel up front. Maybe realistically I should've bought a trance or a stumpjumper FSR 29 with longer travel to start with. My questions is whether the frame geometry of the Anthem x will tolerate an upgrade to a longer travel fork - I would love to get a PIKE! without changing the ride characteristics too much, or whether I should consider selling it at the end of the season, or next season and look for a trance or stumpy FSR 29?

thanks
    BB

What model fork did your Anthem come with? Is it a Rock Shox? If so, you might be able to swap out it's cartridge and quickly and cheaply (it's about a $45 - $50 part I think) convert your existing fork to a 120mm.

I've had friends with Anthems do this to the stock 100mm RS Revelation that they came with...simple part swap, and blammo 120mm fork.

And I recently did this with a Rock Shox SID. It was 100mm, then I ordered up the 120mm cartridge and converted it. Big fan of it for how I ride this way.

Not every Rock Shox fork can do this though...you'll need to call Rock Shox with the serial number of your fork and they'll tell if it will work or not.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

I tried 120mm on my anthem X and it just made the bike feel even longer.

IN our tight eastern singletrack the Geo of the anthem just does not mesh well with me I could not see a 120-140 fork making it better. If your trails are wide open and chunky I think a 120-140 fork could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    What model fork did your Anthem come with? Is it a Rock Shox? If so, you might be able to swap out it's cartridge and quickly and cheaply (it's about a $45 - $50 part I think) convert your existing fork to a 120mm.

I've had friends with Anthems do this to the stock 100mm RS Revelation that they came with...simple part swap, and blammo 120mm fork.

And I recently did this with a Rock Shox SID. It was 100mm, then I ordered up the 120mm cartridge and converted it. Big fan of it for how I ride this way.
    I just rebuild my 100mm sid (2012 dual air model) and there was a 10mm spacer in there which I'd heard about somewhere. So I guess I could have made it 110mm.

It is the anthem x advanced 2. Rockshox Reba rl

Google would suggest that older Reba's can go 120. This bike is a current model 2014. It would be awesome if I could

I will call rockshox when I get my bike back from a rubber upgrade

If it's single air you can buy a new air shaft/piston to change travel. If it's dual you might be able to get an extra 10mm like I mentioned. The reba is a pretty decent fork and you can put in a newer/better compression damper if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    If it's single air you can buy a new air shaft/piston to change travel. If it's dual you might be able to get an extra 10mm like I mentioned. The reba is a pretty decent fork and you can put in a newer/better compression damper if you want.
    Thanks for the info! I will call rockshox to find out what I need. I would be pleased w a 120

I thought Rock Shox was smart and you can just rebuilt the fork and add and remove spacer to go up or down from 100mm. Iz zis no?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Is this what I'm looking for but the 29" one?

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/item/RS3659?track=true

Depends on the fork. For my rebuild I was also using a newer manual for a single air because it had nicer pictures, and they listed the different air shafts you needed for specific travel amounts. I think you can go with a longer air shaft and add spacers to reduce travel, but if you only have a 100mm spring with no spacers on it there's no way to get anything more out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    Thanks for the info! I will call rockshox to find out what I need. I would be pleased w a 120
    The service manual or parts list on the sram site should have all you need. Should be here somewhere:

https://www.sram.com/service/rockshox/7,103

page 10:
    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....ice_manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Depends on the fork. For my rebuild I was also using a newer manual for a single air because it had nicer pictures, and they listed the different air shafts you needed for specific travel amounts. I think you can go with a longer air shaft and add spacers to reduce travel, but if you only have a 100mm spring with no spacers on it there's no way to get anything more out of it.

The service manual or parts list on the sram site should have all you need. Should be here somewhere:

https://www.sram.com/service/rockshox/7,103

page 10:
    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....ice_manual.pdf
    That just made my weekend

No problem, not everyone on here in missoula is an annoying jackass.

Also, you probably have to change the amount of oil in the damper but I don't know for sure. Seems like you would have to add whatever 20mm of oil works out to to keep the level at the same place relative to the compression valve. It's probably in that manual or the oil chart.

To answer your original question, I slapped a 120 on the front of my Anthem 29er as soon as I got it (the Fox that it came with was not adjustable) and for the riding I do (mostly wide open and rocky stuff here in norther NM, w/ occasional forays into CO high country), it's perfect. Can't imagine going back to 100mm.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    To answer your original question, I slapped a 120 on the front of my Anthem 29er as soon as I got it (the Fox that it came with was not adjustable) and for the riding I do (mostly wide open and rocky stuff here in norther NM, w/ occasional forays into CO high country), it's perfect. Can't imagine going back to 100mm.
    - Joe
    Love hearing this!! I think this will amplify my bike a lot.

One day maybe in a in 2 seasons I can upgrade to the stumpy fsr I desire. But 6-9k isn't a little price tag!!

So it's not a spacer thing anymore?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hey Bird Blaster, Bad Dancer on here rides an Anthem 29er with a 120mm Manitou Tower Pro on it. He absolutely rips on that thing (more out of ignorance and blessed athletic ability). It's a 71 degree head angle stock and even with the added 25mm ass to mouth (dammit, fuckin auto correct LOL! that should say "axle to crown") on the manitou (20mm more travel + another 5mm just because it is) it puts it at about 70.

It's no big deal and i'm sure you'd get used to it pretty quick.

You in whistler? Drop by Fanatykco and pay for the half day rental on a SJ or SJ EVO 29 to see what long travel feels like before spending the cash.

IMO, the Pike, as great as it is, is a costly fork to change the travel on. And frankly, if you were going to go to a new Pike, i'd spend the couple dollars more on the new fox 36 where the travel changes are much simpler it would appear.
    Last edited by Johnny Sizzler; 08-01-2014 at 05:29 PM.

^^That has to be one of the better "auto-correct" I have seen in a while. Thanks for lolz.

Anyway my GF has the 2013 version with the dual air Reba. Those just required a spacer to change the travel. The new solo air require a cartridge change as many others have mentioned. We have not changed the travel on hers but that thing does pretty well for XC and light trail-to-AM riding. For her style of riding which is more XC oriented it works great. From what little time I have had on it, that bike rips and loves going fast. Though the rear hub sucks... the low engagement (probably around 20 to 30 deg between clicks and something I am not accustomed to) made techie stuff a little more thought provoking. I actually had to utilize some body english. My bikes have either hadley or i9 which means either 3 or 5 deg between engagement points. Overall I like the bike. If I did not already own a 29 HT I would want one.