Smithers to Cali Road Trip; Summer Skiing Beta required

Driving from Northern B.C. to California for the month of August. I'd like to hit some summer skiing spots along the way (Whistler, Mt. Hood etc.) Anyone have any suggestions or advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions or advice.
    ski in the winter when its actually snowing?

Smithers to Cali Road Trip; Summer Skiing Beta required

Driving from Northern B.C. to California for the month of August. I'd like to hit some summer skiing spots along the way (Whistler, Mt. Hood etc.) Anyone have any suggestions or advice.
    Well you've pretty much exhausted your options for lift accessed skiing right there. Baker, Rainier, Adams and Shasta could provide decent touring turns if you want to reaaalllly WORK for it and get some favorable weather. Unfortunately if you want to do that trip and still get much in the way of quality turns, whether lift-accessed or not, you really need to start it no later than mid June, start of July.

That being said I'm heading down to Hood this weekend to get my last lift accessed turns of the 13/14 Season... Gonna milk whatever's left for all it's worth!

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskis View Post
    Unfortunately if you want to do that trip and still get much in the way of quality turns, whether lift-accessed or not, you really need to start it no later than mid June, start of July.
    Not the best time for a ski road trip (August !?!) Heading down for a family function and I figured I'd bring the skis along and see what I can find.

Hey AP,
    You'll find skiing on Baker. I'm sure Lee can give you beta on Whistler summer options. PM Scotsman50 and PNWBrit for Ranier beta; Tap for Bachelor beta. You'll find turns on Hood, Shasta, and Lassen.

Good luck!
    Why be normal?!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Not the best time for a ski road trip (August !?!) Heading down for a family function and I figured I'd bring the skis along and see what I can find.
    If you get to hood post up how things are looking. I will be there in three weeks. Usually this time of year you have a 5-10 minute dirt walk to skinning.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    If you get to hood post up how things are looking. I will be there in three weeks. Usually this time of year you have a 5-10 minute dirt walk to skinning.
    Hood was fun. I forked out the dough for a lift ticket for Timberline. As you probably know you are limited to the public lane which is limiting but the snow was quite good and it was fun to get a bunch of laps in. Met some nice people. If you were to forego the lift ticket and start from the parking lot at Timberline Lodge, a 15 or so minute dirt walk would indeed be necessary before you hit snow. Didn't seem like a big deal though. I was a bit crunched for time so I did not do so myself but this looked to be a pretty good option.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post

Why be normal?!
    Exactly!!!

15 or so minute dirt walk would indeed be necessary before you hit snow.

but this looked to be a pretty good option.
    Thanks for update - will find some patches to piece together somewhere - always fun on that 5pm fresh corduroy any day up on palmer.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

I just got back from a week of climbing on the eastside from Tioga to Whitney, and there ain't shit to ski. The few patches are horrid and the glaciers and couloirs haven't been the exposed in many, many years, so rock fall is a serious issue.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Thank you for the updates,Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing!!

Just got back to Smithers from my trip. The ski portion of the affair only amounted to 1 day at Mt. Hood (very cool). Ended up spending 5 weeks by the side of a pool in Cali teaching my daughter to swim and drinking tasty beverages. Gotta give it to the yanks; insanely friendly folks. Everyone I met was so nice to me! From my point of view, the much maligned ugly American is but a myth. Love your country!!! Should any yanks be heading up to Alaska (via Smithers / hwy 37) this winter, please contact me and I will do my very best to show you the same hospitality and warmth I received in your fine country.

Glad yo had a good trip. What part of California did you make it to?

In all my travels I have found the vast majority of people or cool and accommodating, and friendly. Unfortunately it only takes a few asshole to give the impression that a whole country is full of them. Glade you didn't encounter too many/any, but we have a few here in California.

I would like to add that my first foray into BC (Van to Whistler) this year was full of friendly Canucks.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

San Fran briefly. Mostly Redlands. The pool / daughter / drinking part was in Redlands.

sheeit, we barely had winter skiing

San Fran briefly. Mostly Redlands. The pool / daughter / drinking part was in Redlands.
    Sorry to hear that, Redlands is not exactly the garden spot in the state.

iscariot

I liked Redlands. Granted, I mostly stayed in 1 of 2 backyards hanging out, drinking..... Did I mention that I did a lot of drinking. And the Mexican food...... Wow!!!! Just for interests sake, what kind of skiing is available to Redlands residents (closest hill' touring, snow quality etc.?)