Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Geez, I lived at home through college and for a year or two after that. My parents were happy to have me and I was happy to be there. We had family dinners and hung out together whenever we weren't all busy but then my Dad was terminal and as I mentioned before my siblings had died so maybe I'm a one off. Got a car for Christmas my senior year of HS (used) and another for college graduation (new). Didn't buy my first car until 1996 and I still have it. Don't feel entitled, just fortunate (about some things).

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Geez, I lived at home through college and for a year or two after that. My parents were happy to have me and I was happy to be there. We had family dinners and hung out together whenever we weren't all busy but then my Dad was terminal and as I mentioned before my siblings had died so maybe I'm a one off. Got a car for Christmas my senior year of HS (used) and another for college graduation (new). Didn't buy my first car until 1996 and I still have it. Don't feel entitled, just fortunate (about some things).
    Agreed, there's a difference between entitled and having parents that may be finically stable enough to help out some. Not to say if they are they are then they're obligated to help out, that would be entitled.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I hope you thanked her for that?

Yer mom is pretty core, I was thinking if a kid is done H-school and not saving for or going to post sec ... I want some money .
    I don't think it quite worked out the way she intended. I ended up limiting my self for a while because of it. However, I did learn a bunch of things the hard way and in the end I guess it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by blu View Post
    nice to hear it worked out nicely for you. for many that i grew up with, it didn't work out so well. i had zero interest in going to college once i graduated hs as i just wanted to ski, so until i moved out the following fall, my mom charged me rent as i was supporting myself just fine at 18 and knew i'd never have college loans to deal with. mom did it right. for me anyway.
    I don't know how nicely it worked out. It was what it was. I would have traded college and move out for having my family alive today.

so Bill wrote a scathingly funny and tore the tiger mom a new ass and taint with this article…

"the miseducation of the Tiger Mom". Hilarious. go slow some of you….Bill moves REALLY fast with the ass ripping of the Lawyer couple (tiger mom and hubby).

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...nfeld-reviewed

PS, I don't read the new republic on purpose, just the google feed of 1000s.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I know you're new here, but round these parts when you wanna hype your ski town dirt job you just say "livin' the dream brah!"

There's an annuity selling forum by the way. At Alpinezone. PM Gregfromalpinezone for the deets.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I know you're new here
    That is funniest thing all day here -
    Jong Jong Blu eh?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    That is funniest thing all day here -
    Jong Jong Blu eh?
    I'm feeling benevolent I guess. I'll JONG more in the future I promise.

Or did Advres change his login again? I can't keep up.
    I still call it The Jake.

Sure, we can put Blu through the paces so his Jong ass gets lay of the land. You will be ok kid - just lay low on emoticons, they are a tell on bad grammar ing
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by blu View Post
    That's just one of the ways that I'm fortunate enough to make money. Real estate has been the bread winner. Annuities are another. Tune skis till I'm 59.5 and working stops. . Wanna touch me?

not being sarcastic when I say….hell yeah!
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I am just gonna work on Blu not becoming entitled little shit, posting like he has 11k of them already - maybe over with your new schooler brahs you r icon

Here you are straight up jong until you master mtw and join clownbiking circus show

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    $$$'s are bigger with that special degree. let's people know you got more than street smarts. tuning and selling other folks skis is no way to raise a fambly.
    beats luggage fetchin huh
    only the roj could rebrand himself after a brand of electronic ciggies
    yup
    e- fag r him
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A good response to the William Deresiewicz article by Joshua Rothman, in the New Yorker.

Rothman's article is titled "What College Can't Do". A short quote.

It would be comforting, in a way, if the Ivy League were a particularly soulless place. But is that really a plausible thing to say about a place like Yale, with its playing fields and courtyards, its libraries and theatres, and—most importantly—its population of energetic, intelligent, optimistic young people? I tend to draw the opposite conclusion from Deresiewicz’s data: the fact that you can feel soulless in such an intellectual paradise suggests that the problem is bigger than college.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

If Deresieiewicz was as smart as all that he would've gotten tenure at Yale. Since he isn't and he didn't, it's not too hard to imagine that he feels a bit hostile towards the place and others like it.

High school graduation party last night across the street. Lots of S Class Benz's 7 series bimmer, Audi SUVs and escalades. Shit the shittiest cars there were a couple new jeeps. my kids gonna drive some POS that s/he worked for. If she's a good kid I might kick in a % of it but not much. One of em knelt down behind their car (my yard) to piss before driving home. I let it slide this time....

Sent from my XT1080 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    not being sarcastic when I say….hell yeah!
    You... want to touch him? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    so Bill wrote a scathingly funny and tore the tiger mom a new ass and taint with this article…

"the miseducation of the Tiger Mom". Hilarious. go slow some of you….Bill moves REALLY fast with the ass ripping of the Lawyer couple (tiger mom and hubby).

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...nfeld-reviewed

PS, I don't read the new republic on purpose, just the google feed of 1000s.
    That was actually a rather entertaining read on a Saturday Morning.

Not sure if there is an entire generation of entitled youth across the board buy it sure seems like there is more and more entitlement emerging or at least what appears to myself as entitlement in traffic and the workplace. I find myself wondering if these folks who I consider to be "entitled" actually had to fight their way down the birth canal to be born into this world or were they maybe the "victim" of a ceserean section.

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    Not sure if there is an entire generation of entitled youth across the board buy it sure seems like there is more and more entitlement emerging or at least what appears to myself as entitlement in traffic and the workplace. I find myself wondering if these folks who I consider to be "entitled" actually had to fight their way down the birth canal to be born into this world or were they maybe the "victim" of a ceserean section.
    I think there are two different trends to discuss here. One is that today's young people, in general can not feel more entitled than their baby boomer parents. The me generation just can't be beat here unless you feel that being raised by a baby boomer is worse than being one. The median 25 year old has had a markedly more difficult time getting through college and entering the workforce than her parents. If getting shit handed to you produces feelings of entitlement, there should be less of it now.

On the other hand, heritable wealth is on the rise over that time period and class mobility is down. So there may be a greater share of dickbags with trust funds and beemers out there.

Any time you find yourself using the phrase "today's youth" and then saying something nasty about them, just remind yourself you are officially an "old fuck" and proving DD correct.

It amazes me that EVERY generation can be so fucking stupid as to imagine that their complaints about the younger generation are somehow unique or more correct than the criticisms leveled by the previous generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    It amazes me that EVERY generation can be so fucking stupid as to imagine that their complaints about the younger generation are somehow unique or more correct than the criticisms leveled by the previous generation.
    Truth.

No link, but onetime I saw an article written in 1938 about how the youth of the day were a bunch of lazy dickwads. Fast forward a few years and those lazy ass kids stormed Iwo Jima and are now called "The Greatest Generation".
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

"That is why an undergraduate experience devoted exclusively to career preparation is four years largely wasted."

I have to disagree with this. American Universities are probably the least career orientated colleges in the world. "learning to think" is important, but for the average kid, learning to make a happy living is what counts. And when college costs are soaring, the idea that a graduate degree is almost a necessity after forking out for 4 yrs at Yale is a joke. The author seems to be part of the problem to me.

My kids are only 10, and I can already see they recognize money too much. Since I grew up as an expat, I had no choice but to attend the most expensive schools in the countries I lived in. But I do not recommend it to my friends who think since they can now afford more than they had, they should send their kids to those schools. The educations are really no better, and paying attention to your kids schooling at home is where the difference is made. A stable career and happy life for my kids is all I hope for.

I wish I could give my son more...but I can't. Life circumstances stripped me of the ability to do much to help him on his path.

Meanwhile, he's been making me proud with what he has been able to do with what little I've given him. I love him, and would lay down my life for him in a second. But this amazing freaking adult-like drive that he has been displaying...it is just astonishing.

I still would give anything I have for him, but am so damned amazed at his ability to blaze his own way. He is a special kind of person. He is a strong, amazing person. I am so fucking lucky. I realize this every damned day.
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    I wish I could give my son more...

It sounds to me like he has everything he needs and doesn't need if you give/had given your son more wouldn't he be in much greater danger of becoming an entitled little shit ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    a special kind of person.
    So refreshing to hear a parent talking about their kid like this.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........