Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, or?

My old 2002 325xi has broken through the 200k miles threshold and it's becoming a pain to maintain, time to upgrade.

While I'm still considering a TGR car (wagon, diesel, manual, awd = 2015 VW SportWagon, or BMW 328d wagon if I can handle tip tronic), after driving my parent's 2013 Taco for a while I'm starting to like the idea of a truck.

Solid ground clearance, plenty of room (double or access cab), throw whatever in the back, throw a topper and a mattress in the back and camp, 2" hitch receiver for Thule 4-bike-hitch-rack, 4LO for those rare off-road events, towing capabilities for snow toys (sleds).

But, the Taco engine is a POS, IMHO. Considering its size and fuel consumption it has pathetic torque and towing capability.

So I've been considering the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

What's the consensus on Ram trucks? Quality? Reliability? Etc?
    What other trucks would ya'll rednecks recommend, somewhere between a Tacoma and a 1500.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/02...ath-first.html

and just remember with the crew cab style cab, you're carrying more weight than the likely vehicle that established the published tested mpg or towing rating

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/02...ath-first.html

and just remember with the crew cab style cab, you're carrying more weight than the likely vehicle that established the published tested mpg or towing rating
    Agreed & very aware. I don't want diesel purely for the gas savings (although in a wagon, 33 vs 50mpg IS worth the cost). Diesel = low end torque, great for towing up the hill. And if it gets slightly better gas mileage than the HEMI, even better.

Did you just get a sex change? A 328 Beemer is a pussy car

Edit: only a fool would be looking at American made cars
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

WestCoastPDR Guest
    When it comes to diesel engines. Id rather be cuming than stroking. However I have no experience in the new eco diesel from dudge

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums

Did you do a cost analysis of gas vs diesel fuel ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bought a 2014 Laramie last year. I love my fucking truck and it's been 9 months. Damn thing gets better gas mileage on the highway than my '08 Escape (RIP). Extra clearance makes it great for shitty sites.

I would suggest buying one.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

At least in Utah, diesel is almost the same price as premium, diesels hold their value much better, and have vastly superior longevity. I lust after that eco-diesel, I hope to get one on the used market in a couple years. I read an article about the new grand cherokee that uses the same engine (and has nearly the same mpg estimates), on a flat x country trip they were averaging over 40/gal! The truck won't do that well, but I'm starting to hear that you can beak 30 with it with conscientious driving habits.

Sent from a rotary phone.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

If you can wait, the new Chevy Colorado with the 2.8L turbo-diesel may be of interest? Will be in dealerships this fall (not sure if the diesels will be ready then?). Your stated towing demands aren't that great, so shouldn't be an issue. I never cared for the Colorado, but that engine makes me interested.

Truck wise, Dodge is the lowest in quality on my list, especially in fit/finsih and ride quality. Just about anything is a better product in my opinion.

Done cost-benefit analysis of gas vs. diesel. Going just by fuel savings, diesel is not enough of a benefit, that's obvious. Going by longevity, low maintenance, torque/towing needs, AND fuel savings, diesel is a clear winner.

Good to know about Dodge/American-made being lowest in quality. That was my fear. Don't have huge towing needs, two sleds in the winter, trailer with motorcycles in the summer.

I have seen the previews of the new Colorado, with a 2.8L diesel it could possibly push 32-33mpg on the highway, with good enough torque to tow two sleds uphill. That one is a ways out though. By then, maybe the Taco will have a Diesel option?

My SIL just got the 2015 F-350 Lariat w/6.7. It's a MFing nice monster truck and she's getting 16.3mpg in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Finstock View Post

In your dreams!

Better try for VM MOTORI.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    Going by ... low maintenance ...diesel is a clear winner.

Don't have huge towing needs, two sleds in the winter, trailer with motorcycles in the summer.
    Diesel maintenance is more expensive than for a gas motor, not less.

For your towing needs, anything will work -- Tacoma, 1/2-ton gas pickup or SUV, Subaru...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Once again in grand TGR fashion getting advice from those who don't own or drive a vehicle is rampant. You are correct that the taco motor sucks for what you get. Full size truck mileage with little car towing and payload capacity plus not much room. Honestly, the Taco is turning into the smart car of trucks. It looks like it should get great gas mileage but in the end it doenst. Why compromise.
    Unfortunately the chevy diesel is coming out later for 2016. I have witnessed and driven the eco diesel. My honest assessment is that if you are using the truck like an SUV or car, it will blow you away with its mileage and ride. Dodge has stepped up the game. However, the payload is pretty low for 1/2 ton. That being said for 90% of 1/2 ton truck buyers its pretty darn nice especially in the upper trim levels. The added maintenance is not that high for the little diesel vs a full bore powerstroke or something, plus the engine has been around for years in Europe. I say if you can swing it, its a great package.

I wish my Tacoma had 425lb/ft turbo diesel that did 28mpg and 700 miles between fill ups.... and 8spd trans.

That Ram is expensive though and way bigger than the Tacoma too. It's F150/Tundra size, so not a fair comparison in towing capacity, not that it sounds like you need that much anyway.

Did the Escape every make it back over the border Gary?
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 07-25-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    My SIL just got the 2015 F-350 Lariat w/6.7. It's a MFing nice monster truck and she's getting 16.3mpg in the city.
    Damn! What city is she in that has space to park that rig?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    Done cost-benefit analysis of gas vs. diesel. Going just by fuel savings, diesel is not enough of a benefit, that's obvious. Going by longevity, low maintenance, torque/towing needs, AND fuel savings, diesel is a clear winner.

Good to know about Dodge/American-made being lowest in quality. That was my fear. Don't have huge towing needs, two sleds in the winter, trailer with motorcycles in the summer.

I have seen the previews of the new Colorado, with a 2.8L diesel it could possibly push 32-33mpg on the highway, with good enough torque to tow two sleds uphill. That one is a ways out though. By then, maybe the Taco will have a Diesel option?
    One guy says he doesn't like Ram and that's the gospel truth? Jesus christ, I've got a magical unicorn to sell you, it grants wishes, gives amazing blowjobs, and always swallows.

The 8-speed tranny in the Ram is far superior to the 6-speed auto in the Chevy, although I like the size of the Colorado better, your needs may vary. Every series of trucks has its quirks and issues, There were several years (I believe around 2006) where Tundras had frames cracking in half, the 6.0 Powerstroke was a pile of shit, in a lot of ways the 12-valve Cummings engine was better than the 24v, and Duramax had several very bad years with injector issues. At this point, despite the lovers of all things Toyota, they aren't inherently better than American trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Uh, kind of the anti-thesis to what the OP is looking for. Besides, nothing says "look at my small dick" like a jacked up 1-ton that never sees a trailer that weighs over 3000 lbs.
    Last edited by Swine; 07-25-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: adrenalated was right, 6 speed
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

FWIW you do not need a diesel to adequately tow a pair of sleds. I drive an 04 Tundra V8, and it will haul a pair of sleds and a heavy old trailer up I-70 at 60mph up the steepest hills and 75mph on the rest with no problem (gas mileage does suffer). The main limiting factor is actually the 4-speed auto transmission, as it can only go so fast in 3rd and there isn't enough power in the overdrive 4th gear to pull the hills. Any newer truck has much better transmission options available. The new Colorado is almost the exact same physical size as my Tundra, and in the gasoline V6 has a good bit more horsepower than my Tundra and higher rated towing capacity, but less torque. It'd be at or near the top of my shopping list if I were looking for a brand new truck.

Also, the Colorado will be coming with a 6-speed auto, not a 5-speed as stated above. That said, I don't doubt that RAM's 8-speed is still superior.

Nissan's diesel truck should be coming out soon.

Currently driving a 2011 F150 4x4 Supercrew with the ecoboost V-6, 56k miles. The amount of torque on that thing is silly. Passing on a 6% grade at 80 mph going up to Truckee is effortless, the 6 speed tranny is pretty good and when the turbos spool, it flies. Haven't towed much, but I have loaded it down with 1,000 lbs of cargo in the bed a couple times. Not a big deal whatsoever other than the steering getting light (oops). Beats the 5.0 V8 in a zero to 100 drag race as well. MPG ranges from 16-24 depending on conditions.

No mechanical issues to date either. It's been a solid performer.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Having a diesel is worth the premium every time you crank it up in the morning and smell that unmistakable scent.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Unfortunately with EGR's and DEF fluid that is a bygone era. I'm serious, I like that smell, reminds me of growing up and driving tractors on the farm. I'm all for less particulates and CO, NO, and NO2 though, so it's a good thing.

If you get the diesel truck make sure to back in right next to your hotel and idle it for an hour to warm it up in the morning. Or just never shut if off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Having a diesel is worth the premium every time you crank it up in the morning and smell that unmistakable scent.
    I'm that way with marine engines - something about exhaust on the water.

Unless it's the houseboat generator that someone is firing up at 4 am to run the grinder on the john because the shitter's full.
    I still call it The Jake.