Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    As already mentioned, the payload on the ram 1500 diesel is meh, but that may not matter to you. Cummins Titan will be getting attention I'm sure. The payload and hp on the upcoming F150 small turbo gas model is impressive thanks to the hudge weight reduction.

After every thread on the internet like this one has the cliche comments about price of gas vs diesel and EPA mpg, diesel owners point out that clueless posters shouldn't overlook the sometimes dramatic resale advantage of diesel, and the real world diesel mpg when towing or hitting headwinds for xx hours at 75 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

After every thread on the internet like this one has the cliche comments about price of gas vs diesel and EPA mpg, diesel owners point out that clueless posters shouldn't overlook the sometimes dramatic resale advantage of diesel, and the real world diesel mpg when towing or hitting headwinds for xx hours at 75 mph.
    Yeah, but does the truck take off the treadmill?
    I still call it The Jake.

Hugh Conway Guest
    so, the TGR mid-life crisis vehicle is a bigass truck to tow sleds?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yes, it does.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

As already mentioned, the payload on the ram 1500 diesel is meh, but that may not matter to you. Cummins Titan will be getting attention I'm sure. The payload and hp on the upcoming F150 small turbo gas model is impressive thanks to the hudge weight reduction.

I think the point of the article was more that in real world driving you're not saving much money. If you get other benefits then that tips the scales. that's been my point with Hybrids all along - if you're buying it because it's better for the environment then you are mistaken. If you want a soccer mom vehicle that will save you $10-20/week in fuel then FKNA - buy a Prius.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Once again in grand TGR fashion getting advice from those who don't own or drive a vehicle is rampant. You are correct that the taco motor sucks for what you get. Full size truck mileage with little car towing and payload capacity plus not much room. Honestly, the Taco is turning into the smart car of trucks. It looks like it should get great gas mileage but in the end it doenst. Why compromise.
    Unfortunately the chevy diesel is coming out later for 2016. I have witnessed and driven the eco diesel. My honest assessment is that if you are using the truck like an SUV or car, it will blow you away with its mileage and ride. Dodge has stepped up the game. However, the payload is pretty low for 1/2 ton. That being said for 90% of 1/2 ton truck buyers its pretty darn nice especially in the upper trim levels. The added maintenance is not that high for the little diesel vs a full bore powerstroke or something, plus the engine has been around for years in Europe. I say if you can swing it, its a great package.
    Great feedback, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    One guy says he doesn't like Ram and that's the gospel truth? Jesus christ, I've got a magical unicorn to sell you, it grants wishes, gives amazing blowjobs, and always swallows.

The 8-speed tranny in the Ram is far superior to the 6-speed auto in the Chevy, although I like the size of the Colorado better, your needs may vary. Every series of trucks has its quirks and issues, There were several years (I believe around 2006) where Tundras had frames cracking in half, the 6.0 Powerstroke was a pile of shit, in a lot of ways the 12-valve Cummings engine was better than the 24v, and Duramax had several very bad years with injector issues. At this point, despite the lovers of all things Toyota, they aren't inherently better than American trucks.

Uh, kind of the anti-thesis to what the OP is looking for. Besides, nothing says "look at my small dick" like a jacked up 1-ton that never sees a trailer that weighs over 3000 lbs.
    Dear Sir. Please PM info on said unicorn. Willing to pay over asking price to secure deal. Western Union funds will be transferred instantly. Kind regards.

... but thanks for the other feedback ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Third-life crisis, hopefully.

Fuck, ya'll, recommend me another TGR dreamwagon vehicle, then, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Zipper merge performance is the key parameter nowadays.

And comparisons to a Raptor.

If you live in the mountains, a diesel can result in huge fuel savings due to its great low end torque. When it comes to mpg, I can guarantee that ecodiesel behemoth of a truck can smoke many econo cars going up hill.

As far as the engine goes, it's a Fiat sourced motor that's been around for years and is quite proven. However, being a Dodge, expect the truck to fall apart around the engine. I'd still be interested in one, though. Would rather have the diesel Colorado, but that's obviously too far off for many.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Currently driving a 2011 F150 4x4 Supercrew with the ecoboost V-6, 56k miles. The amount of torque on that thing is silly. Passing on a 6% grade at 80 mph going up to Truckee is effortless, the 6 speed tranny is pretty good and when the turbos spool, it flies. Haven't towed much, but I have loaded it down with 1,000 lbs of cargo in the bed a couple times. Not a big deal whatsoever other than the steering getting light (oops). Beats the 5.0 V8 in a zero to 100 drag race as well. MPG ranges from 16-24 depending on conditions.

No mechanical issues to date either. It's been a solid performer.
    While I never thought I'd go back to a gasser, I bought one of these, too--a 2012 F150 Supercrew with the Ecoboost. I upgraded the shocks to stiffer ones, added 2" in the front, 10 ply A/T tires, a Westin deerstroyer on the front because I can't go six months without crushing a deer. Helwig helpers on the leaves are the only addition I would definitely recommend if you're doing any heavy towing.

95% of my driving is simply driving--sometimes highway, sometimes back country gravel but this thing drives like a Porsche. Super fast and very quiet. I average 17.5 mpg overall and often get 21 on the highway.

Regarding towing, I towed a fully loaded Uhaul trailer from Tahoe to Idaho at 80mph and got 14.5mpg with no issues. I've towed a 16' dual axle stock trailer with sheep in it several times and had no issues at all, albeit 12mpg at 70mph.

I would highly recommend this truck unless you truly need a diesel, i.e. regular HD towing. My last three trucks were Powerstrokes and I have to say that I miss the power on occasion but overall, I am much happier with this little thing.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Yup, unless I do both. I gave up on an R8 or GTR, and went sled and pickup.

Might even go full sledneck and get the bigass enclosed trailer.

Well, ideally, you put a sled deck on top of your AWD, manual, diesel, German-made sport wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I've towed a 16' dual axle stock trailer with sheep in it several times and had no issues at all, albeit 12mpg at 70mph.
    This reminded me of the time my dad brought home a ram in the back of his Camaro. Hadn't thought about that in years. It looked just like this one, only dark green and rusty with sheep shit in the back:

So I recommend a Camero.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    95% of my driving is simply driving--sometimes highway, sometimes back country gravel but this thing drives like a Porsche. Super fast and very quiet. I average 17.5 mpg overall and often get 21 on the highway.
    I get identical MPG on my 2007 Denali w/ a 6.2l V8. I know that's not on the OP's list, but as a lifelong GM driver (5.3L Vortec, 6.6L Duramax and now the 6.2L Vortec) I have gotten long life and reliability out of all of these. The 5.3L got me to 255,000 miles on it and I sold it since the SUV was falling apart around it. Check out the new gas engines, they are good, and have what you want.

Having said that, I covet an EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee...
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

[QUOTE=frorider;4282634

After every thread on the internet like this one has the cliche comments about price of gas vs diesel and EPA mpg, diesel owners point out that clueless posters shouldn't overlook the sometimes dramatic resale advantage of diesel, and the real world diesel mpg when towing or hitting headwinds for xx hours at 75 mph.[/QUOTE]

"sometimes dramatic" would be up there with military intelligence or almost being pregnant but lets not forget the diesel owner paid more for the vehicle to begin with
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Zipper merge performance is the key parameter nowadays.

And comparisons to a Raptor.
    Do not try to jump the Dodge.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Isn't Ford releasing a 700 pound lighter F150 with a 2.7L V6 that does 325 HP and 375 lb-ft of torque next year? Sounds pretty damn cool.

I know it's marketing from Ford, but I thought this video was pretty cool. No matter what you go with, the truck market is pretty awesome right now.
    Last edited by Dickeymotto; 07-30-2014 at 10:57 AM.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    Isn't Ford releasing a 700 pound lighter F150 with a 2.7L V6 that does 325 HP and 375 lb-ft of torque next year? Sounds pretty damn cool.
    ]
    Yep, I mentioned this above. Speculation is around 28 mpg hiway. Some feel that the ford 6 spd auto will be seen as a negative vs GM and Ram. :shrug: the sorta interesting thing to me is the new ford block material, which in theory will handle longterm mileage despite turbo boost stresses.

I just want to add 2 things.

the ford 150 is doing this by reducing weight and material type in body panels and forms. structural, and non. think of it as an RV toilet vs a house toilet.

and secondly, you can tune a diesel truck to get 40mpg or better and still maintain towing capacity through programing and induction.

The problem is the EPA, your not going to pass EG test with out restoring it to factory once a year.

and C. has anyone looked at the EPA standards and regulations?

please explain to me how 18mpg is better than 40mpg.

It is a scam, and if you know anything about it you know how to work around it. the only post here that makes sense was about not buying an american car.

this fuckin country.

that and buy a prius, i laughed
    Falling feels like flying........for a little while.

I was just made aware that the dealer-installable TRD superchargers are still being sold, boosting the Tacoma engine to some respectable HP and torque numbers; at the cost of further reducing the MPG into full sized truck territory.

In terms of size and looks, the Tacoma is the ideal truck, IMHO.

Still keeping options wide open, won't be buying until early Q2 2015.

Prius haters unite! Keep your blinders on.

Consumer reports listed the Prius V as having the lowest cost of ownership among similar vehicles. They are as reliable as fuck. They are better for the environment than similar non-hybrids according to our own EPA studies that looks at CO2 emissions taking into account the full life cycle of the car. The vast majority of CO2 is produced during a cars life cycle not during production. The batteries are recycled almost 100% anyway and don't use appreciably more precious metals than your standard alloy wheels nor are they mined at the supposed dirty Chinese mine. Lots of red herrings and bullshit that just keeps getting repeated. I used to think hybrids were a waste as well but when I shuffled my way through the bullshit I changed my mind, bought one, and have 40k on a trouble free ride that costs less to run than anything else around here and short of hauling a trailer or going off road it does what we need it to do.

We took our 4-Runner and Prius V on a shuttle bike trip this past week so we could ride some Ragbrai. Both vehicles hauled two bikes, a bike trailer, two adults and a child plus a cooler with no problems. One of them averaged 47 mpg and the other one 18 mpg and I was drafting the Prius in the 4-Runner.

Carry on.

Go buy your beloved trucks. I don't care and I am as intrigued by the improvements and engine options as everybody else here.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

...short of hauling a trailer or going off road it does what we need it to do...

Carry on.

Go buy your beloved trucks. I don't care and I am as intrigued by the improvements and engine options as everybody else here.
    Nice rant, but kind of a stupid place to put it considering the initial post was about a vehicle specifically to do the two things you say your beloved Prius can't do...

Consumer reports listed the Prius V as having the lowest cost of ownership among similar vehicles. They are as reliable as fuck. They are better for the environment than similar non-hybrids according to our own EPA studies that looks at CO2 emissions taking into account the full life cycle of the car. The vast majority of CO2 is produced during a cars life cycle not during production. The batteries are recycled almost 100% anyway and don't use appreciably more precious metals than your standard alloy wheels nor are they mined at the supposed dirty Chinese mine. Lots of red herrings and bullshit that just keeps getting repeated. I used to think hybrids were a waste as well but when I shuffled my way through the bullshit I changed my mind, bought one, and have 40k on a trouble free ride that costs less to run than anything else around here and short of hauling a trailer or going off road it does what we need it to do.

We took our 4-Runner and Prius V on a shuttle bike trip this past week so we could ride some Ragbrai. Both vehicles hauled two bikes, a bike trailer, two adults and a child plus a cooler with no problems. One of them averaged 47 mpg and the other one 18 mpg and I was drafting the Prius in the 4-Runner.

Carry on.

Couldn't afford a Prius when I bought my commuter (Jeep XJ is my fun vehicle. Complete gas hog), so I got a Nissan Versa, which was the cheapest, highest gas milage, non-hybrid out there. I average 40 combined and I find unless I'm hauling furniture/building supplies or playing around off road, I leave the Jeep in the garage. Plus I got the base model and there is no trunk access from the car and the seats do not go down, which is nice because I can just leave all my fly fishing gear in the back and even leave my windows down.

So I hear ya. Fuel efficient, not so fun to drive vehicles can still kick ass.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Carry on.

Because you can totally move a fridge or haul thousands of pounds of materials with a Prius.

Don't get me wrong, the Prius is a fantastic vehicle, but it is NOT a truck for which there is no replacement. I do not have a truck, as I've made do with an excellent towing capacity and trailers, BUT frankly I'm getting sick of not having a truck bed for my constant hauling needs. Most people do not need trucks, some like you and I make do without, but there are definitely people like OP who could really make good use out of one.

That being said, I still think the Ram EcoDiesel could be a great way to go. 28 mpg in a pickup truck? Yes, please! That absolutely smokes the mpg I get in my SUV, and even bests my Volvo wagon by about 4-5 mpg. It's not simply overall costs that I'm thinking about, as they may be similar, with diesel possibly even being a bit higher, BUT it's about convenience and less pain at the pumps. On my commute, I have to fill up 2 to 3 times. This Ram, or the new Grand Cherokee could easily make that trip on a single tank. How the hell is that NOT preferable to a gasser? My next vehicle will likely be the coveted, mythical Golf with AWD, Diesel, and manual tranny, but I gotta admit, this new Ram's not looking to shabby, and that's coming from a former Dodge owner and total hater. They used to suck bad. Hopefully they've improved a lot since the 90s. Nearly 30 mpg might be enough to convince me to give them another chance.

Here's a fun read about hyper-miling the new Ram:
    http://green.autoblog.com/2014/05/09...diesel-38-mpg/
    Houston to Detroit on a single tank!