Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    The best part of the Olympus is the touch screen AF focus... and it even works with bike gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The best part of the Olympus is the touch screen AF focus... and it even works with bike gloves.
    The fingerless gloves? I have had Olympus OMD cameras for 3.5 years and I almost never use the touch AF. But I do love the cameras.

Adrenalated,

I've got an a6000. I love it. I haven't read through the thread in detail but let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

I noticed a potential weakness of the a6300 this weekend. Hiking in cold and windy conditions I had trouble using the menu wheel on the back of the camera to adjust iso/exposure/shutter speed/aperture. Some of the other comparable cameras have individual dials for those controls where as trying to use the menu wheel with cold hands led me to push too hard trying to rotate and go into another menu option.

We'll see how big of a deal this really is, maybe a non issue since I normally shoot in either aperture or shutter priority and can use the dial on top to control those single functions.

Bumping this back up...

So where's the sweet spot for entry/mid-level gear right now? Looks like you can get an A6000 with the 16-50 used for around $375/$400 versus the A6300 with the 16-50 for closer to $750. Is the A6300 worth the added cost for the weathersealing and better AF? I'm looking for something to shoot skiing/hiking/general outdoors and travel, but was ideally hoping to keep it around $500. Are any of the used Fujis on the market now worth considering?

With a $500 budget, I think your best bet is the A6000 / 16-50 combo.... it might be one of the only options, TBH. It's a great camera and is definitely more capable than "entry/mid level". If you're going to up your budget, I would stick with the A6000 and then get a better lens like the 18-105 or 18-200. You could also look at the Canon M5 as well.

One thing to consider with that A6000 and 16-50 lens: the Power Zoom lens is NOT going to play nice with action shots. It doesn't have a zoom ring, but instead has a tiny little switch you slide back and forth to zoom in/out. It's not fast, and it won't do well for action sports photography unless you're planning to spot focus for everything. The big downside of Sony's lenses is that they're so damn expensive, and when you get into the nicer ones, they also get quite large (relatively speaking for a mirrorless camera).

FWIW, after all my back and forth up above, I ended up getting the Canon M5 plus their 11-22 and 18-150mm lenses. The AF isn't as good as my previous 80D, but it's damn close. The 11-22 is sharp as shit, and the 18-150 is very comparable to the EF-S 18-135mm lens that I used to use. The camera body is much smaller in person than I expected, and it'll be a welcome change to carry in my pack instead of the 80D / 18-135 combo.

Thanks smmokan. I do have some flexibility in the budget and am not opposed to buying used, but it quickly becomes a slippery slope the deeper into this I dive.

Thanks for pointing out the power zoom issue. What drew me to the a6xxx series in general was the size - seems like it would be perfect for what I'm looking for - but I didn't realize the kit lens was a power zoom. That almost sounds like a deal breaker and unfortunately it looks like the used market for the 18-105 would blow the budget (~$340 for the a6000 body + ~$500 for the 18-105). Edit: does look like there's an E mount 18-55 f3.5 without the power zoom that goes for <$200....could be an option.

I'll look into the M5 some more although I'm worried that might just be larger then what I'm looking for. Some of the Fujis (XT-10) seem to be inbetween the A6000 and M5 in terms of size, but I don't know much about them so I'll need to dig into that some more.

FWIW, the M5 isn't noticeably bigger than the A6000, especially once you have a lens on it. And compared to a DSLR, they're both tiny.

I really like the specs of the Fuji cameras, but for me I didn't like the ergonomics and menu setup- it was an issue of usability and comfort, which led me back to the M5. Plus, Fuji lenses are expensive as shit too.

Olympus em-5 ii is far and away the best camera I ever used. Beat eaven my old 5dmk2 and L lens setup. Mirrorless done right is amazing.