Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Take my opinion with a grain of salt - two years later I've gotten a good amount of shots that I like, but I'm still a noob. Photography does not come naturally to me whatsoever. A skilled photog could likely match or surpass some of my best work using an iPhone.

The camera comes with me on nearly every tour, but it's probably 50/50 on whether I take it out. If I was carrying a full size DSLR, I think I'd be more discerning on whether or not to bring the camera. With the mirrorless I don't hem and haw, just throw it in the pack.

If you get a deal on Sony I think a mirrorless setup is a no brainer. The Sony stuff seems to be the most well-liked system in the game right now (certainly the most popular). In my crew there's 3 Sonys, no other Fujis besides mine, and zero DSLRs. We're just a bunch of non-pro millenials though so WTF do we know?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Bump

So two years later, what is the verdict on this? Is mirrorless the way to go for someone getting into the game? My cheaper PaS shit the bed last year and I'm going nuts not having a real camera around. To be straight up I'm only looking at Sony cameras because I can get a decent % off.
    If you need a pocketable PnS to tide you over, I have a Canon S90 avail for $75 + ship.

I got into m4/3 with an Olympus E-M10, I now have (2) E-M10's an E-M1 MKII, (10) m4/3 lenses and (5) adapted lenses. I have no regrets. When I mountain bike ride I always carry (2) bodies and (2-4) lenses. M4/3 lenses and bodies are also almost always cheaper than the larger sensors.

I picked up a Sony a6300 about a month ago. I've just been using the 16-50 kit lens but getting good photos. Going to try it out for action this weekend on a MTB trip. I had read some reviews that the controls sucked and weren't intuitive, but since I don't have anything to compare it to, it hasn't been that bad.

Autofocus seems really fast and accurate, my one complaint is that start up time is sometimes slow.

Cold no good

Batteries are too small for use in the cold....goodluck....wait for the a9 batteries to propogate outward....

Talk Me Out of a Mirrorless Setup

I'm in the process of switching over right now to Fuji and have owned the Sony a7 in addition to some mirrors; canon 6d, Sony slt, and some canon crop bodies over the years. I honestly can't see a reason not to switch to mirrorless if you're not vested in a system.

If crop I have a preference for Fuji at the moment. Full frame is Sony a7 stuff.

You can find a used Fuji x t10 or x t1 if you need weather sealing for peanuts right now. That's what I'd do.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by justcuz; 08-21-2017 at 08:39 AM.

I'm trying and trying to talk myself into the Sony A6500 for full-time use, but their lens lineup sucks right now and they haven't released a new APS-C lens in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm trying and trying to talk myself into the Sony A6500 for full-time use, but their lens lineup sucks right now and they haven't released a new APS-C lens in a few years.
    Fuji is full of good apsc lenses, I'll give em that.

Lens options is probably the biggest reason I went X-T20 over the A6300. The 18-55 2.8-4 "kit" lens kicks ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

How come people talk down about the mirrorless in re: action/sport photography still?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    How come people talk down about the mirrorless in re: action/sport photography still?
    Compared to where the focus systems were just 5 or 7 years ago there's no reason a good mirrorless wouldn't be fine a lot of the time. My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Lens options is probably the biggest reason I went X-T20 over the A6300. The 18-55 2.8-4 "kit" lens kicks ass.
    Yeah, but I need more range for a main lens... something like the Canon 18-135 STM that doesn't cost a fortune. That's the biggest gap for me.

Yeah, the Fuji 18-135 is just a *bit* more than the Canon version for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Talk Me Out of a Mirrorless Setup

Yeah....I get a decent deal on Fuji and that lens is still $650 new. And I doubt it's any better than a canon. That's honestly a hang up. That and the super wide offering is expensive too.

I now have the Sony A7Rii and the A6300 and will never go back to a DSLR. Been extremely happy with both. Here's some shots I took at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb with the A6000 and the 70-200 f4. Just note that the photos are heavily cropped. This was my first time really using the camera and we were at the fastest section of the course where cars were hitting around 140-150 mph if I remember correctly:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/757016...57655260491632

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    Yeah....I get a decent deal on Fuji and that lens is still $650 new. And I doubt it's any better than a canon. That's honestly a hang up. That and the super wide offering is expensive too.

Depends on what you want, I suppose. The Fuji supposedly IS is supposedly awesome (5 stops) and the build quality is better than the Canon, with weather sealing. No idea whether one or the other has better IQ. IS on my 18-55 is definitely better than Canon's 18-55 IS STM that I also have.

But in the good light that Steve mostly shoots in, IS doesn't matter all that much.

Bought an A6000 last week. My first real camera and enjoying it so far.

For those that have a Sony A6xxx series camera, the "Lowepro Dashpoint 30" bag is a good fit with the kit lense. The similar "Osprey Ultralight L" bag is too big.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Anyone using the Sony 18-105 or 18-200 that can give some first-hand thoughts?

Anyone using the Sony 18-105 or 18-200 that can give some first-hand thoughts?
    I'm leaning towards the 18-105. I like that it doesn't move/retract when zoomed, seems like that'd be a plus in dusty or wet environs. I was going to rent one from borrowlenses this weekend but its booked.

So yeah, I'm interested in first hand accounts as well.

EDIT: I rented one from Lensrentals, should come Friday. This being my first interchangeable lens camera, and this being the first time I will have changed the lens, I may not have great insight on what to look for, but if you have specific things you want me to check out let me know.
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 08-29-2017 at 03:17 PM.

I'm mostly curious how the PZ functions... I'm not a huge fan of the sliding lever on the 16-50 that I have.

Sounds like you're leaning Sony, but you're welcome to take my XT-1 for a spin. I have:

-18-55mm F2.8-4 Kit Lens
    -14mm F2.8
    -55-200 F3.5-4.8

Cool, I appreciate the offer. I've got the A6000 right now and am messing around with the 16-50mm lens on some simple shots, and I like what I see so far.

I also like the Canon M5 - it uses the same sensor as the 80D, which I have and really like. I also dig the lens options (and prices) with the 18-150 and 11-22. I'm just not sure about the EVF blacking out between shots- might be a deal breaker.
    Last edited by smmokan; 08-30-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Well, after talking to a good buddy (and pretty damn good photog), I decided to go an entirely different direction... I just bought an Olympus M4/3 E-M10 Mark II, along with the 14-42 EZ lens and the 14-150mm. The 14-42 EZ will be the perfect light setup when I go for longer rides/hikes, and the 14-150 is an awesome do-it-all lens for my trips in general. WAY smaller than my 80D setup!

Oh interesting turn of events!

I'll be interested to hear your reviews

Well, after talking to a good buddy (and pretty damn good photog), I decided to go an entirely different direction... I just bought an Olympus M4/3 E-M10 Mark II, along with the 14-42 EZ lens and the 14-150mm. The 14-42 EZ will be the perfect light setup when I go for longer rides/hikes, and the 14-150 is an awesome do-it-all lens for my trips in general. WAY smaller than my 80D setup!
    I'm curious what pushed you that direction over the Sony's?