I am an idiot....Single Speed Trance 27.5

Since February I have been the happy owner of a Giant Trance Advanced 27.5. It's been the "fun bike", whereas I race a bunch on a hardtail single speed.

Recently, I was offered a spot in the Downieville Classic All-Mountain race (Saturday XC, Sunday "downhill", combined score wins) in the Single Speed category. I took em up on it and rather than race my hardtail SS there, I decided to convert my Trance to a Single Speed to have a bit more fun on a terrain that is way more enjoyable on a full suspension bike.

At first I didn't think I would be able to do it because since it was set up with XX1, the rear hub was set up with an XD Driver...which doesn't have any traditional cassette splines on it that you could slide a cog onto. So after putting the word out here that I was in need of a 10-speed freehub body for a DT Swiss hub, Kidwoo hooked me up with one that he happened to have and voila! Single speed Trance is born.

Luckily I already had in my possession a chain tensioner that is designed for FS use....the Yess ETR/D (http://www.yesspro.com/product/etrd-...ain-tensioner/). So we hooked that all up and seems good to go! The first pedal around the parking lot just made me giggle

25 lbs on the nose with WTB 2.3 Vigilante tires front and rear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yess up close.jpg 
Views:	2017 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	156879

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trance SS.jpg 
Views:	1086 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	156880
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

I predict greatly lower descent times compared to your hardtailing brethren.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I predict the death of Kidwoo's freehub

I took out a life insurance policy on it as soon as I handed it over.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Only 25 pounds? What size frame is that?

It's a medium
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I predict the death of Kidwoo's freehub
    This.

Good luck racing and keeping the rig in one piece!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I took out a life insurance policy on it as soon as I handed it over.
    Smart man you are.

stock since this is my next FS bike and I also race single speed

match them on the up and crush them on the down!! with your penchant for huge gears you should have no trouble hammering away on the down.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

match them on the up and crush them on the down!! with your penchant for huge gears you should have no trouble hammering away on the down.
    that is a nice thought, but I know my limits right now. There is no way in my current shape that I can match some of the fittest guys in the SS class in this race right now. This is more for fun.... I am certainly going to have more fun
    One Gear, Two Planks

How have you been liking that bike with the regular 1x11 on it? I demoed it a few months back and thought it was pretty sweet... but out of my price range.

Should be fun on the way down, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    How have you been liking that bike with the regular 1x11 on it? I demoed it a few months back and thought it was pretty sweet... but out of my price range.

Oh yeah I really like it alot. It's probably not the BEST descender out there, but IMO it is pretty damn good and as a whole package that can climb and do a lot of things well, I like it, and it suits the terrain that I ride the most.

The handlebars could be a little wider, and the dropper post could be removed and replaced with something that has more drop to it...but neither of these items are killing me, so I haven't brought myself around to making any changes just yet.

A REALLY FAST buddy of mine borrowed it a few months ago, put some lighter racier tires on, and WON a Pro XC race on it (Jared Kessler at the Ashland Spring Thaw XC in Elite Open Men -> http://obra.org/events/22431/results#race_512023) ....just a testament to how well a 140mm FS bike can pedal. The front shock is adjustable between 120 & 140mm travel, and he even kept it in 140mm mode for the whole race (just locked it out for the climbs).
    One Gear, Two Planks

Ya, seems like an awesome all rounder. I almost got one, but cant let go of 26" wheels just yet.

Yes! That thing is fucking ill!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post

why not get this?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...5/18764/76212/

First short test ride was pretty sweet. No chain skipping or popping under power on steep techy hillls. Super smooth and quiet. No chain slap...nothing. Quieter than my SS hardtail! Super fun
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Luckily I already had in my possession a chain tensioner that is designed for FS use....the Yess ETR/D (http://www.yesspro.com/product/etrd-...ain-tensioner/).
    I can't believe that even exists.

That setup ought to get a few puzzled looks. I can see it now, "Split kook, this is the start for the SS class...wait...WTF?"

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    Rode that too - it was nice. But don't really need a new bike right now, just trying stuff out for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I can't believe that even exists.

That setup ought to get a few puzzled looks. I can see it now, "Split kook, this is the start for the SS class...wait...WTF?"
    Exactly. I'm hoping that no one notices and i can sneak away. We start with the geared Expert classes so i will blend in well on the first day for the XC. These are not the droids you are looking for...

The second day for 50-60 minute "downhill" it won't matter as we start in intervals anyway.
    One Gear, Two Planks

Nice setup, Seamus Powell was '13 SS Nat'l champ with a 29er Anthem converted to SS and a few years ago someone else did the same.

Have often been tempted to SS my Salsa spearfish for kicks but never got around to it. There is an Enduro with a singlespeed class that I may do it for in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Nice setup, Seamus Powell was '13 SS Nat'l champ with a 29er Anthem converted to SS and a few years ago someone else did the same.

Have often been tempted to SS my Salsa spearfish for kicks but never got around to it. There is an Enduro with a singlespeed class that I may do it for in the fall.
    what enduro is that?

Central PA, Ravens I think. I'm presuming they have that class again as they did last year. Could be a "hardtail" class though

I can just see that cog sinking into insufficiently hardened aluminum of that cassette body from 3 bazillion ft.lbs of torque

Nice work man! Can't believe stubby got 2nd in SS XC. That little bastard gets faster every year.

haha....thanks man. I got destroyed in the XC (as I expected), and just had fun in the DH and did OK. Man that bike was a lot of fun. Haven't ridden it since though due to work travel and will putting the gears back on this week so I'll get that freehub body back up to you ASAP.
    One Gear, Two Planks

Cool. No hurry. I'll send you a mailing address and you can just get it to me that way if you're not headed up here any time soon.

And yeah, that bike needs gears for its normal life