Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

juneau vs haines

First post of the forum here.

I have decided that this winter I'm finally going heliskiing and have read a whole mess of posts/threads on the forum. One thing I wonder about is how Juneau compare to Haines weather and terrain wise. I couldn't find much info about it. Can anyone give me some pointers?

I have more time then money and would like to just hang out and wait for it, then fly. Not buy a 7 day package and hope for the best. What would be the best options then? I sent an email to AK heli, but haven't heard back from them.

Edit: And seriously, why are my username like that, not what I signed up with.
    Last edited by LiveLarger; 07-17-2014 at 04:55 AM. Reason: annoyed

I think flying into ANC is cheaper and you have a lot more options from which to surf seats.

I don't think you'll be unhappy either way. Similar weather systems, but Haines has slightly more clear days than Juneau. It is also colder on average, so when the temps are bordering on rain, it would be better to be in Haines. I know the folks that run the heli operation in Juneau and think they do a first-rate job and access some sweet terrain that makes me envious. My wallet just can't bring me there. Same may be true for the operation in Haines, but I know less-to-nothing about them. It's also pretty cheap flying between Haines and Juneau ($80-$100 for a 30-min. flight each way), or you can take a 4.5-hour ferry for $40 each way.

As for terrain, you could have an endless debate. Certainly there are more possibilities in Haines, but my money says the commercial heli-ski operations in both places have a handful of prized spots that they go back to time and again. I'd call them both up and chat with them and see what they tout. If you've got a group of similarly skilled skiers/riders that can command the entire helicopter, you should have more options.

Is this dschane the father to the twins and Elias? Bridger's mom here.

I have flown twice with APD out of Juneau and both times have been freaking sick. I have no experience in Haines but would love to make it there someday in the near future to fly.

If you do fly with APD, Chris eckle is a top notch guide. I have always felt super safe with him. He really knows his shit.

I'd get in touch with the different options and go with the one that fits your needs/gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. Honestly don't think either option will disappoint. I mean, it is Alaska after all. After being a Juneau resident for 3 years and skiing lots of inbounds/out of bounds terrain, I'm still blown away when the heli comes up over the lip of the glacier. Boom, hundreds of miles of huge snow covered mountains and glaciers. Pretty much your own skiing playground for the taking. It seriously blows my mind every. Single. Time.

Let us know what you end up doing. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Also, it's tourist season here in AK (cruise ships) so a lot of the guides/owners are working guiding other tours so be patient when it takes them a while to get back to you.

Here's a clip I put together of the group of ladies I got to shred with this past season.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/a3QUqdmgfRc
    [\youtube]

edit to add that on no fly days Eaglecrest has some super sick inbounds and outside the gate terrain. And soooo much to skin to, and I think APD will take you in with a guide.
    Last edited by scarlet begonias; 07-17-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Haines will have *slightly* better weather, however on no fly days you are sitting around out the road doing nothing. Juneau has the best ski area in Alaska, as well as a lot fun things to do in Juneau. The Juneau crew is also excellent and I can't recommend them enough. Terrain is wilder in Juneau, and there's only one op.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Thanks a lot for great info!
    How about lodging? Anything recommended at both places? Preferably something that isn't too expensive.

And if I have a budget for seven days in the heli, how many days would I realistically need to be there? Or put it the other way, if I stay for two weeks, is it likely I get to fly for seven days?

Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by scarlet begonias View Post
    Is this dschane the father to the twins and Elias? Bridger's mom here.
    Yes, same person, and sweet video. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlet begonias View Post
    edit to add that on no fly days Eaglecrest has some super sick inbounds and outside the gate terrain. And soooo much to skin to, and I think APD will take you in with a guide.
    That's the clear advantage to heading to Juneau. If there are no fly days, you can ride at Eaglecrest and/or hike around it.

Quote Originally Posted by 100000105201649 View Post
    How about lodging? Anything recommended at both places? Preferably something that isn't too expensive.

And if I have a budget for seven days in the heli, how many days would I realistically need to be there? Or put it the other way, if I stay for two weeks, is it likely I get to fly for seven days?
    Impossible to say. Southeast Alaska sits in a temperate rain forest. In the winter, you could catch a cold snap of 10 bluebird days where the snowpack is excellent every day. Or, you could catch miserable 40 degree rain. Or, more likely, you'd get a mix of something in between.

If I had the budget for 7 days of heli skiing and 2 weeks of vacation time, I'd fly to Juneau and if the weather is sweet, I'd sample AK Powder Descent's goods and let the weather guide the next choices (still good, go to Haines; if it turns sour and no one is flying, check out Eaglecrest or climb for turns). If you arrive in mediocre conditions, reverse that. However you slice it, you have to fly in and out of Juneau. No large jets fly to Haines, so you either ride a prop plane or ferry there.

As for lodging, the Juneau Hostel is cheap and downtown (not sure if it's open in the winter and they have a 5-day max stay). After that, I'd check out VRBO options or the Silverbow Inn (above the bagel shop). The other downtown option is the Baranof Hotel (probably too spendy, but I think the winter rates are under $100). If you like late nights, check out the Alaskan Hotel (next to the bar of the same name). If you want cheap over location, the motels by the airport are probably fine. But you'll enjoy your visit more if you're downtown. I've only pitched a tent in Haines, so I don't have anything to offer there.

1000000 - Sent you a PM

To say that the weather in Haines is only "slightly" better than Juneau is fully selling Haines short. Maybe the weather is similiar on the Coast, but the Northerly clearing flow from the Yukon can absolutely not be denied. Especially 33 miles up the road where we fly out of. We can poke out towards the border and find blue holes ALL THE TIME. I'm biased, and work for Alaska Heliskiing, but this weather pattern can be confirmed by many folks on here. Haines is an absolutely incredible corner of the world.
    Drive slow, homie.

^^this. AKH at 33 mile will get you out when others are down, and looks like management has improved. Take the two weeks, let them know what you want to do and you'll get out plenty.
    My group, for a variety of reasons, moved to Seaba, but fly from 18 mile
    to be that much closer to where it clears.
    The town is not as busy as Juneau, but charming and fun if you poke around.
    If you know you'll be down for weather for the first leg or last leg you can easily make changes to get to Eaglecrest and at least get some turns in. Like most though, I think you'll see the benefit of hanging out for a few last minute runs
    with the heli rather than guaranteed runs at a small but fun local area in Juneau.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by 100000105201649 View Post

As for places to stay in JNU, I would ask APD for their recommendations. Lots and lots of options. I'd say the Alaskan, or Juneau Hostel for the cheap. Silverbow for slightly more is nice, being down town is nice because not only is it fun, but its in betwen the airport and the ski area.

As far as fly days go, in two weeks in say march I would say you are either going to get two weeks of sun or two weeks of rain, its a total crapshoot, although for some reason folk fest weekend (in April) always seems to be sunny.

interesting opinions here. I have been spending some time as a tourist in both places recently. Juneau is a city with no real benefits of a city. Lodging sucks the town is spread out. You can not just walk out and take a hike on the beach when you are downtown or the airport either. So that leaves a few dive bars that would get pretty old after two weks. Eaglecrest is a gem although I have not skied there. They are not open everyday so it is a somewhat limited option. The weather is better in Haines. Funny to get the heli guide spin. I didn't see many tracks up towards the border last season. The blue hole was maybe a little too blue. Anyway I think the way all the cool people do it is rent the RV in Whitehorse.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    You can not just walk out and take a hike on the beach when you are downtown or the airport either.
    Wait what? I mean the beaches are better out the road but.... And they are great dive bars! Not the reluctant, but pretty good

Juneau is a city with no real benefits of a city.
    In my view, that is true of every city in Alaska (though, obviously, the expectations of such are unreasonable for most places).

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong at either destination if your goal is commercial heli skiing. I have not, however, ever hired a commercial outfit and suspect the experience is pretty much the same everywhere, which is to say, in good conditions, you'll have great runs. The views from the top and remoteness of this place are mind blowing and humbling. But, there's no way to avoid the fact that whenever you set aside specific dates to travel 4K miles to have all that, there are no guarantees.

If you have any specific questions about Juneau, I'm happy to (try to) answer them.

I didn't see many tracks up towards the border last season. The blue hole was maybe a little too blue. Anyway I think the way all the cool people do it is rent the RV in Whitehorse.
    I'm stumped. Maybe you were looking in Canada? The border makes a weird move there on the Jarvis. Extended blue hole for sure, we were all over those zones, with exception to a few suspect slopes with last years persistent problems.

Another option - Bring your crew and do a few full heli-days, then a few heli-tours to keep the costs down. Some great single drop options.
    Drive slow, homie.

Anybody else think Juneau is the best city in Alaska? I mean have you seen Fairbanks?

I thought Wassila was the best city in AK. (Can't insert finger mustache on mobile)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Juneau is pretty, but Sitka and Homer are too. I guess it depends on what you mean by 'city' because Eagle and Valdez have their moments. But yeah, Fairbanks is near the hind tit...but summers are nice there.

So the winters in Fairbanks are a deal breaker for you but you think Eagle is nice? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_lepowski View Post
    So the winters in Fairbanks are a deal breaker for you but you think Eagle is nice? Really?
    Wel, Eagle is a lot prettier than FBK. I lived in FBK for 12 years (break that deal) and my point was that FBK has nicer summers than Juneau but isn't as pretty as JNU...or Eagle, or a lot of places in AK. It is prettier than Barrow.

Don't be so defensive.

Wait Eagle? Are you calling that a city?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Wait Eagle? Are you calling that a city?
    Jesus. Read post #17.

Wait, are you calling Juneau a city?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Wait, are you calling Juneau a city?
    yes, yes I am

Thanks guys for all input. I really appreciate it. I haven't booked anything yet, but seems like I'll be going for Haines. Weather is a big factor and flying in from Europe, I don't really care if it's a bit longer. It's a long flight no matter how I look at it!

Save some bucks and check out Atlin BC... Canadian dollar could help you out a bit. More consistently cold temps too.

Talking

Don't confuse town weather with ski terrain weather. In both locations the heliski ops often fly out of a base other than town. Rain in to 8,000 feet in Juneau (rare but possible) ALWAYS means rain to 8,000 feet in Haines. Both locations will get about 1200 inches of snow in their ski terrain

APD in Juneau will fly out of their base 30mi north of Juneau when the weather is better there, and with a much larger permit area than Haines the options are almost limitless. If you are just one person I wouldn't commit to either place yet. Call up the week before you come and see who has a seat for you ...

If you have a group (like someone else recommended) then you'll have a better time and can pick and choose your days and terrain more easily. In that case I would go with APD since they are the only op in town with no competition for lines and since you came to ski then Eaglecrest on down days can't be beat!