Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    College hoops is great in my book. The rules suck the life out of games in the last five minutes way too much, but other than that it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm 25, but I've been kicking around this place and PowderMag before it since I was 12 or 13. That probably makes me older than I am in jaded internet years.

Almost all professional athletes are impressive as hell, some sports just suck to watch, primarily, basketball. I would support an effort to drive all professional and amateur players into the sea so we can be rid of them I dislike it so much.
    Game with you there. Could not see actually wasting the time watching a basketball game instead of going for a bike ride.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanwillie View Post
    Sure football corners, safeties, and receivers run more sprints than soccer players over the course of the game, but they also get a short rest immediately following each play. Soccer players don't get those short breaks which I think makes a big difference over the course of a 45 min half. Yes football players get hit and are in constant contact which also takes a toll, I'm not sure how you'd factor that into the equation. For some positions I agree that football is more demanding than soccer.
    So we agree... yet:

You've made it abundantly clear that you have no idea what you're talking about regarding soccer.

I highly doubt you've played even semi-competitive soccer if you think the back line "mainly" stays on their side of the half. Outside backs make overlapping runs up the sideline all the time, have you even watched a full game? Playing "D", in your words, doesn't mean you work less. I'd say forward is the least taxing position actually. No the back line doesn't rack up the distance like a midfielder, but they definitely still run a lot and are almost constantly moving.
    Constantly moving, sure - but you and I both know that they're hardly running flat out the whole time. Stop blowing yourself. Also I never said soccer was easy, just making the same argument ice is, that they're all pretty much equally difficult physically just in different ways, and that some positions in those sports are easier than others. Basketball is an exception, since everyone has to move the full length of the court constantly, unless they're on the bench. Then again the game is only 48 minutes long.

Also calling the keeper a "goalie" isn't helping your cause of trying to sound like you know what you're talking about.
    Bitch please. Since I was drawing a comparison using both soccer (or do I need to call it football?) and hockey the word goalie pretty much conveys the position. I could have called the position "Torwart" or "guardián" as well you smug fuck.

He is a smug little prick isn't he? And a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Backup quarterback to a good QB has to be the best job.
    Punter. Place kicker is too much stress. Those poor bastards have so many games riding on their shoulders..."hey you missed that 42 yarder and we lost the game!" -Maybe you should have scored a touchdown!

When the first string QB goes down you have to go in...and get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    So we agree... yet:

Constantly moving, sure - but you and I both know that they're hardly running flat out the whole time. Stop blowing yourself. Also I never said soccer was easy, just making the same argument ice is, that they're all pretty much equally difficult physically just in different ways, and that some positions in those sports are easier than others. Basketball is an exception, since everyone has to move the full length of the court constantly, unless they're on the bench. Then again the game is only 48 minutes long.

Bitch please. Since I was drawing a comparison using both soccer (or do I need to call it football?) and hockey the word goalie pretty much conveys the position. I could have called the position "Torwart" or "guardián" as well you smug fuck.
    I enjoy soccer a lot, but the soccer butthurt snobs are brutal. Lighten the fuck up...it's just another game...NOT loved in the US. Get over it and yourselves.

NASCAR is the sport with the top athletes. Forbes says Dale Jr. hit $25.6mm, down from $30mm 5 years ago.

Top 10 are all over $10mm
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    NASCAR is the sport with the top athletes. Forbes says Dale Jr. hit $25.6mm, down from $30mm 5 years ago.

Top 10 are all over $10mm
    Wait ... NASCAR, athlete and sport all in the same sentence? Yah, no.

Sure, it's sporting and requires a level of talent. But athletes?

Just no.

Ball sports. Pffft. That shit is easy:

If it involves "getting open" or putting something in a goal or net it was probably invented to occupy prisoners or boys in boarding school in order to reduce buggery.

@bobcat: It's possible he was being a little tongue-in-cheek, no?

This guy would disagree

I still call it The Jake.

College hoops is great in my book. The rules suck the life out of games in the last five minutes way too much, but other than that it's good.
    Fair enough, I'll give a pass to most college sports really. Athletes are close to their prime and at the point where they can improve rapidly, but they aren't completely corrupted yet.

Yup - college hoops are worth watching. Go Zags!

At the World Cup Colombia gave a cameo appearance to a 43 year old keeper. The oldest player ever to appear at the WC: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wor...stitution.html

For those >40. A laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Nice avatar. If you play then much respect. That shit made me quit swimming competitively. In D1. Because I couldn't walk after practice and I couldn't sleep after a match due to bruising coupled with exhaustion.
    Yeah, water polo is brutal. Sort of like soccer with the added element of the other team trying to drown you.

Most here are Dentists, so you have to be older than 40. Being a Dentist is time consuming. By the time you are finished with skool, internship, trophy wife hunting and car shopping, you are nearly 41.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    Speaking of Seniors. Is anyone here close to collecting SS? I have a few more years to go but actually like my job. Some old head told me it's like throwing $$$ away if you don't grab the loot as soon as you can.
    Its actually a complicated question depending on if you have a spouse, how much she earns relative to you, your health (do you expect to live a long time or are you suffering from chronic illness). However the basic deal is this. Your benefits increase 8% a year from 62 to 65 when you would receive full benefits. You can't get a guaranteed 8% return with no risk anywhere else that I know of. Whomever advised you to take your benefits early must have been planning on dying soon. There are many calculators on line to help you sort it out.

I thought we had all agreed that tennis is the most taxing sport, the plane does take off, studfinders make great make-shift beacons, trading free rent in Tahoe for sexual favors can be dangerous, Ali could have beaten any other boxer in their prime, sticking wookies in the brown lounge creates a good ski town cougar PR buzz, and Penis Grease is an actual drink.

Yes but all the over 40's have forgotten.

boomers are over 50
    lets stay on track here

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    Its actually a complicated question depending on if you have a spouse, how much she earns relative to you, your health (do you expect to live a long time or are you suffering from chronic illness). However the basic deal is this. Your benefits increase 8% a year from 62 to 65 when you would receive full benefits. You can't get a guaranteed 8% return with no risk anywhere else that I know of. Whomever advised you to take your benefits early must have been planning on dying soon. There are many calculators on line to help you sort it out.
    Ok, that was way too measured of a response for this place.

Is this an Ameriprise Financial slow pitch?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    boomers are over 50
    lets stay on track here
    ah but there are still some that are 49. Five more months until the last of them turn 50 but yes.... OP did say <40. Interesting he should pick that number. I'm sure to someone of his tender years anyone over 29 is old.

My IQ is well above 40, thank you...I think...

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    You're off on one point - yes you do get 8% more, but you are neglecting the money you would get during the 62-65 period; the "8% return" would be less that.

Not that you should take SS advice from me, I'm not even enrolled in SS.