Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    To bad we have to take so many creatures, large and small with us.
    I was just thinking about this yesterday. Normally I have a family of Swainson hawks that nest in some old Locus trees on my property. They come every year and raise chicks. This year due to the heat I fear their chicks died because since that horrible heat wave we had they have been gone.

A local wild bird rescue posted about all the baby hawks they rec'd during that time. Seems the babies get too hot in the nest and jump out either dying from the fall or perishing on the ground unless a human intervenes and brings them to a rehab center.

If I'd known there was a chance of that I would have gone to the area where the trees are and checked for them.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Mid 90s in Baltimore watching the O's beat the Nats. I was f'ing hot!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

so we've been pretty fortunate to have a mostly mild summer thus far but tomorrow...tomorrow it will be 98 degrees with 54% humidity. that is a heat index of 117 degrees. tomorrow will not be a good day.
    swing your fucking sword.

Fuck your goddamn “heat index”. It’s bad enough when they pull that fucking shit with that godamn windchill factor . It’s enough to call hot, “hot”. Any more than that and you’re just being a braggart.

The only good thing about the massive heat dome we had is that it is now, at least for me, the new metric against which all subsequent heat waves will be measured.

We have a "heat watch" for the next couple of days with a forecasted high of 103 to which I now say "pfffffffttt that ain't nothing. "
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Fuck your goddamn “heat index”. It’s bad enough when they pull that fucking shit with that bullshit windchill. It’s enough to call hot, “hot”. Any more than that and you’re just being a braggart.
    I dunno - went from CO to FL in early June. 90F down in the FL Keys was "really motherfuckin' hot" while 90F is just warm here. So I think it can be useful...

And SUF - FTS. That's *really* motherfuckin' hot.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    The only good thing about the massive heat dome we had is that it is now, at least for me, the new metric against which all subsequent heat waves will be measured.

We have a "heat watch" for the next couple of days with a forecasted high of 103 to which I now say "pfffffffttt that ain't nothing. "
    This is pretty much how I know that the human race is doomed. We can adjust rapidly to *anything*... which works really well, until it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This is pretty much how I know that the human race is doomed. We can adjust rapidly to *anything*... which works really well, until it doesn't.
    As a species, some will make it in their dome cities, but a lot of poor countries will be decimated. The animals are fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yes. We are doomed. Not very bright the human race. We have to have everything, can't just live in harmony with nature. Take EVs for example. I'm not convinced we aren't trading one environmental disaster for another. Why not invest in quality mass transit and telecommuting?

Whatever. Things are looking dire. Like any addict, it looks like we're going to have to hit rock bottom before something changes. Just look at this pandemic - it's a lost cause to try to fight those who want to politicize it or don't believe science. Seems letting the chips fall were they may is what needs to happen now because they will not see until it happens to them directly. In the meantime I'm just going to keep stabbing wool and crushing up catnip. At least I can make the kittehs happy.

<snip> Why not invest in quality mass transit
    COMMUNIST!!!

Yes. We are doomed. Not very bright the human race. We have to have everything, can't just live in harmony with nature. Take EVs for example. I'm not convinced we aren't trading one environmental disaster for another. Why not invest in quality mass transit and telecommuting?

Whatever. Things are looking dire. Like any addict, it looks like we're going to have to hit rock bottom before something changes. Just look at this pandemic - it's a lost cause to try to fight those who want to politicize it or don't believe science. Seems letting the chips fall were they may is what needs to happen now because they will not see until it happens to them directly. In the meantime I'm just going to keep stabbing wool and crushing up catnip. At least I can make the kittehs happy.
    Need some narcan for the planet.

Isn't that what covid is?

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

well at least the CWA/EWA weather forecast is looking good starting Sunday.

91° @ 9:24pm with 25% humidity (feels double that).

It is forecasted to be 82° at 8am tomorrow

Oh... and the smoke has rolled in. We've been real lucky up until today. About to cross over into the Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups category.
    Last edited by KQ; 07-30-2021 at 11:02 PM.

It hasn't rained here since mid June, there's been a total of 8 days of rain since the beginning of March. I cut down most of the wheat and all of the buckwheat a few weeks ago because they stopped growing. what's left of the wheat will be ready in a week or two, it's supposed to rain the end of next week, we'll see.

91° already.

Harvested my wheat week before last. Not much of a crop but it was something. At least the onions came out okay and didn't get fried like so many here in the valley. All that's left is the corn. Hoping the water master doesn't shut us off before it's done.

Rain in the forecast today/night.

'There was nothing we could save': Heatwave made mush of Walla Walla Sweet Onions

Hay is going to be really expensive this year too due to the drought. Milk prices are also on the rise due to cows overheating and producing less.

Heat wave, drought disrupt ag market, production

People are fighting over hay on FB marketplace and CL here, crazy prices for anything available. I'm afraid there's going to be a lot of horses being sold off or abandoned later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    People are fighting over hay on FB marketplace and CL here, crazy prices for anything available. I'm afraid there's going to be a lot of horses being sold off or abandoned later this year.
    What state are you in? I've heard that people as far away as Wyoming are buying EWA hay when they can find it. My usual supplier has none to sell me this year. I've got a line on 12 tons of grass hay from a friend I usually buy just Teff from. He's told me not to worry, he's got me covered but I probably won't be able to relax until it's stacked in my hay barn.

Montana. The haystacks in the fields around me are about a third of what they usually are.

Small squares are going for $15 ea. on the ground. On top of the drought, the hoppers are real bad this year too.

$ 250.00 a ton is the going rate right now and bidding wars are a thing. I was told that the horse sale in Billings last week usually features around 30 animals, last week it was 300.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    $ 250.00 a ton is the going rate right now and bidding wars are a thing. I was told that the horse sale in Billings last week usually features around 30 animals, last week it was 300.
    It's a knackers dream

Walla Walla sweet onions are supposed to like the heat but were turned to mush by June's record heat wave:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...nions-to-mush/

what's the big Ag-focused insurance company out west? might be time (or too late) to short that stock.