Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Holy hell, I saw some of the damage caused by the hail with the storms. Lucky if you don't have any damage.
    Go get some roofer

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Passive is better than solar powered active. I've seen and lived in a number of hippie houses that were very easy to heat and cool in VT. It seems the trend is away from that and toward high-tech solutions that use solar and batteries. How about adding modern solar and batteries for the few watts needed to regulate a passive house?
    Our house works pretty well passively, opening windows at night and closing up during the day, until the daytime high exceeds 90F. 80F in the house at 9:00pm is more than I can take.

It's an old hippie house build in the early 80s with one arm aligned solar east west and the other arm aligned magnetic north/south. So the two parts meet at an angle. The upstairs hall in the solar aligned part has the sun shining exactly down it at the equinoxes.

The original grid dependent electric furnace is pretty shot, so we're installing a heat pump next week. I'm hoping that we can use it sparingly when it gets too hot.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Heat wave finally let go of its grip for good today, currently 74 degrees with a 46 degree dew point, wind from the NW. A perfect day in the Shire.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Heat wave finally let go of its grip for good today, currently 74 degrees with a 46 degree dew point, wind from the NW. A perfect day in the Shire.
    Same here.. Looking like only 80s through the weekend.. and the grass has finally slowed down to the mow every two weeks rate.

Those hail damage photos remind me of living in Texas and Oklahoma. Seeing shit like that seems to have eked farther and farther north since the 90s.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Same here.. Looking like only 80s through the weekend.. and the grass has finally slowed down to the mow every two weeks rate.

Those hail damage photos remind me of living in Texas and Oklahoma. Seeing shit like that seems to have eked farther and farther north since the 90s.
    I was working at a tech company in the DFW area back in the 90s. We hired a guy from California, and he and his wife came out on their house hunting trip and got caught in a storm with softball size hail on the drive in from the airport. Wrecked the rental car they were driving and blew out the windshield. Luckily they made it to an overpass to hide under without any bodily injuries, but the wife insisted on going directly back to the airport and California the next day.

Sounds like the wife had her shit together. Texass deserves softball size hail for being such morans.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Sounds like the wife had her shit together. Texass deserves softball size hail for being such morans.
    Very intelligent post. I wish I were as smart as you.

There are a few progressive pockets in Texas. Austin is like the Santa Fe of Texas. It truly is a hellscape weather wise though.. No beaches, no snow, but a few nice manmade lakes. Fantastic music scene. SRV and ZZ Top got their notoriety gigging there.

105 today - just another hot day in EWA. Consitently running 15° above average.

Anyone catch this:

Map shows 'extreme heat belt' projected to cover a quarter of the US in 30 years, where temperatures would breach 125 degrees Fahrenheit

The US counties where First Street Foundation expects temperatures to exceed 125 degrees Fahrenheit at least one day in 2053.

The heat waves scorching the US this summer may just be the beginning of an extreme heat belt forming across the country.

"If people think this was hot — this is going to be one of the better summers of the rest of their lives," Matthew Eby, CEO of the climate-risk research nonprofit First Street Foundation, told Insider.

The foundation published a "Hazardous Heat" report on Monday, using a peer-reviewed model to assess six years of US government satellite data and predict future risk of extreme heat by property. Its conclusions align with scientists' warnings that extreme heat will become more common, more extreme, and longer-lasting in the coming decades.

That's about one-third of the current population, covering one-quarter of the US land area, as shown in the map below.

Next year, the report projects that 8 million Americans face the prospect of sweltering in at least 125 degrees Fahrenheit for at least one day. By 2053, that would rise to 107 million Americans — 13 times more people in just 30 years, according to the report.

Counties where at least one day is expected to breach 125 degrees Fahrenheit in 2023 (left) and 2053 (right).

The majority of that extreme heat is expected in the center of the country, from the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast up through Chicago — an area that First Street Foundation is calling the "extreme heat belt." Significant portions of the southwest and southeast are also likely to have more than one day above 125 degrees Fahrenheit in 2053, according to the report.

At such high temperatures, the National Weather Service warns that risk of heat stroke is high. Infrastructure often fails at such high temperatures, too. Roads buckle, train tracks bend and can cause derailing, and airport tarmacs can melt and prevent takeoff. Sometimes the power even goes out.

Days that breach 125 degrees Fahrenheit aren't the only ones to worry about. Even temperatures above 100 degrees can be dangerous. In another map, below, the report projects more days above 100 degrees across the southern half of the country.

Circles represent days above 100 degrees Fahrenheit in 2023 (left) and 2053 (right). Darker colors indicate a greater number of days, while the sizes of the circles represent the number of properties impacted.

The extreme heat of the summer so far in 2020 lines up with many of the locations where First Street Foundation expects the most heat in years to come, Eby said.

For example, as the map below shows, the report projects more heat waves across the country, with significantly increased risk in northern areas including the Pacific Northwest, and other regions that aren't historically accustomed to extreme heat.

The county-by-county probability of a heat wave — three consecutive days above the 98th percentile for the local area — in 2023 (left) and 2053 (right).

The projections in this report are conservative, since it assumed a future scenario where humans drastically cut the greenhouse-gas emissions that are driving climate change and increasing global temperatures.

If the world doesn't cut emissions soon — particularly through a rapid transition away from fossil fuels to clean energy — the future of extreme heat could look even worse than the maps in this report.

"If anything, our undercuts or our underrepresentation of these heat impacts will be noticed in 30 years," Eby said.

Even if humans stop emitting greenhouse gases tomorrow, some heating is locked in by the gases we've already added to the atmosphere. To protect life, infrastructure, and property, Eby said, individuals and companies and governments have to prepare for more extreme heat in the future.

"Our hope is that this data can inform everyone from the individual, to commercial users to state, local and federal governments, which are all users of our data," he said.

Their data is publicly available on riskfactor.com, where you can check past data, as well as current and future risks for individual properties.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

125 in the DC area sounds absolutely dreadful. 90 there feels like a sauna

Got home from a hot and humid SoCal to 68° in Denver yesterday afternoon. Felt unreal.

The last two posts are why I live where I do.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    The last two posts are why I live where I do.

What kind of box on a porch is it?
    Just cardboard? Or have you upgraded to a wooden crate?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    105 today - just another hot day in EWA. Consitently running 15° above average.

Anyone catch this:

Map shows 'extreme heat belt' projected to cover a quarter of the US in 30 years, where temperatures would breach 125 degrees Fahrenheit

The US counties where First Street Foundation expects temperatures to exceed 125 degrees Fahrenheit at least one day in 2053.

The heat waves scorching the US this summer may just be the beginning of an extreme heat belt forming across the country.

"If people think this was hot — this is going to be one of the better summers of the rest of their lives," Matthew Eby, CEO of the climate-risk research nonprofit First Street Foundation, told Insider.

The foundation published a "Hazardous Heat" report on Monday, using a peer-reviewed model to assess six years of US government satellite data and predict future risk of extreme heat by property. Its conclusions align with scientists' warnings that extreme heat will become more common, more extreme, and longer-lasting in the coming decades.

That's about one-third of the current population, covering one-quarter of the US land area, as shown in the map below.

Next year, the report projects that 8 million Americans face the prospect of sweltering in at least 125 degrees Fahrenheit for at least one day. By 2053, that would rise to 107 million Americans — 13 times more people in just 30 years, according to the report.

Counties where at least one day is expected to breach 125 degrees Fahrenheit in 2023 (left) and 2053 (right).

The majority of that extreme heat is expected in the center of the country, from the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast up through Chicago — an area that First Street Foundation is calling the "extreme heat belt." Significant portions of the southwest and southeast are also likely to have more than one day above 125 degrees Fahrenheit in 2053, according to the report.

At such high temperatures, the National Weather Service warns that risk of heat stroke is high. Infrastructure often fails at such high temperatures, too. Roads buckle, train tracks bend and can cause derailing, and airport tarmacs can melt and prevent takeoff. Sometimes the power even goes out.

Days that breach 125 degrees Fahrenheit aren't the only ones to worry about. Even temperatures above 100 degrees can be dangerous. In another map, below, the report projects more days above 100 degrees across the southern half of the country.

Circles represent days above 100 degrees Fahrenheit in 2023 (left) and 2053 (right). Darker colors indicate a greater number of days, while the sizes of the circles represent the number of properties impacted.

The extreme heat of the summer so far in 2020 lines up with many of the locations where First Street Foundation expects the most heat in years to come, Eby said.

For example, as the map below shows, the report projects more heat waves across the country, with significantly increased risk in northern areas including the Pacific Northwest, and other regions that aren't historically accustomed to extreme heat.

The county-by-county probability of a heat wave — three consecutive days above the 98th percentile for the local area — in 2023 (left) and 2053 (right).

The projections in this report are conservative, since it assumed a future scenario where humans drastically cut the greenhouse-gas emissions that are driving climate change and increasing global temperatures.

If the world doesn't cut emissions soon — particularly through a rapid transition away from fossil fuels to clean energy — the future of extreme heat could look even worse than the maps in this report.

"If anything, our undercuts or our underrepresentation of these heat impacts will be noticed in 30 years," Eby said.

Even if humans stop emitting greenhouse gases tomorrow, some heating is locked in by the gases we've already added to the atmosphere. To protect life, infrastructure, and property, Eby said, individuals and companies and governments have to prepare for more extreme heat in the future.

"Our hope is that this data can inform everyone from the individual, to commercial users to state, local and federal governments, which are all users of our data," he said.

Their data is publicly available on riskfactor.com, where you can check past data, as well as current and future risks for individual properties.
    Is adding gulf moisture to that going to create the need to add F6 to the Fugita tornado scale?

Looks like it only barely squeaked below 70 last night at the official recording site at Sea-Tac. That's extremely rare here in Seattle where overnight lows tend to be in the 50s even during the hottest part of the year. It feels just plain muggy outside right now. Yuck.

[edit] Just saw this tweet from NWS Seattle:
    Low temperature in Seattle through 5 AM this morning has been 71 degrees F.

Number of days in Seattle's climate record with low temperatures at or above 70 degrees: 2.
    Last edited by The AD; 08-18-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Ahhh... local Wx reported 52F when I woke up this morning. 62F in the house. Should get through the rest of the summer sans A/C, Flying Spaghetti Monster willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    What kind of box on a porch is it?
    Just cardboard? Or have you upgraded to a wooden crate?
    See Schrodinger, troglodyte.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Looks like it only barely squeaked below 70 last night at the official recording site at Sea-Tac. That's extremely rare here in Seattle where overnight lows tend to be in the 50s even during the hottest part of the year. It feels just plain muggy outside right now. Yuck.

During my 5am commute this morning I had the AC on in the truck.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    During my 5am commute this morning I had the AC on in the truck.

Shit. Living somewhere that that is reality is a hard no for me. Of course that's gonna be everywhere on Earth soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

My Zoom yoga instructor (8 Limbs Yoga out of Seattle) was complaining about how hot it was for our 7am class. It was a chill 70 here in W2 and quite enjoyable but our high is suppose to be 105 again. AC is already running. Currently 86 degrees.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    My Zoom yoga instructor (8 Limbs Yoga out of Seattle) was complaining about how hot it was for our 7am class. It was a chill 70 here in W2 and quite enjoyable but our high is suppose to be 105 again. AC is already running. Currently 86 degrees.
    Are they the ones renting your spare place??

I would just like to let you all know that when I tell my neighbors "it's hotter than a whore house on nickel night," they all laugh. Got any more of these sayings?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Are they the ones renting your spare place??
    LOL! Yeah.. last Friday at around 4:30p they texted me to let me know the AC was out and the house was approaching 80 degrees. Great... it was Friday afternoon. I immediately called my service people - the ones I have a regular contract with for maintainence (also the same people I paid 12K last year to put in a new package unit in my house so I figure they should treat me like a good customer). They came right out (yes it was an "after hours call" with associated fees) and were able to fix it right up (fan went out and the motor burned out).

Dude didn't even say "thanks." I had to text him after the service let me know it was all good to ask him if he was cooling down. IMO I'm a pretty good landlord - I respond immediately regardless of the time of day or day of the week. They are a young couple and this is their first place away from their parents so they've never had the pleasure of knowing a shitty landlord. Not that I want an award or anything but a thanks would be nice once in a while. I suppose that is in the form of them always paying on time.

FYI - I've got two brand new portable Toshiba AC units that I could have given them to use until Monday. It wouldn't have cooled the entire place like the central air but it would have made it plently livable. He is aware I have the units for emergencies like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I would just like to let you all know that when I tell my neighbors "it's hotter than a whore house on nickel night," they all laugh. Got any more of these sayings?
    Dryer than a popcorn fart

No central air or heat here, about 1500 square feet, 3 BR, 2 baths, kitchen, living room. 5 window A/C units. Every summer one of them fails.... As the pandemic was ramping up and talks of supply shortages raged we decided to just grab two cheap window units to stash in the shed. They're still there. All 5 have been klunking along fine for the past 2 years. Not to last though it's in the fall when one will start to ice up at night telling me it's the beginning of the end.

I won't call KQ though.. I'll mount my own fucking window A/C unit.

I've been thinking about the projected 125 temps. Seems to me even with AC your house is still going to be in the 90s.

Maybe its time to start building homes with deep basements. Subterranean dwellings.