Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Heh. Double wide. . They actually sound nice. I'd like mine with super thick roof with solar, and way overhanging eaves. Plus super thick walls. Definitely going to be wanting a house all on one floor.

I live in a well insulated home whose roof is shaded by 100 year old trees from the south and the west, and a 30 degree drop will have the A/C running nonstop. When it’s 100 degrees here I’ll set the thermostat at 76 during the day and then have it drop to 72 at around midnight.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Here in the Cascade foothills where it's been 90-95F for the last 4 days I manage the heat by opening the house at night with fans blowing out high windows and leaving ground level windows cracked open. When the lows are above 60F on consecutive nights, it's hard to get the house below 70F in the morning when I open the ground level windows and set fans blowing in at 5:30 through about 7:30 when I shut everything up.

Yesterday it was 78.5F at 8:00pm inside which is just barely tolerable, but it's 75F around 4:00pm.

I ordered a heat pump back in March since the old electric furnace is the 1983 original and weak. The install is supposed to happen by August 18.

At least this keeps ye auld carbon and hydro footprint small.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Electric furnace? That would be a ballsy move in San Diego county.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Electric furnace? That would be a ballsy move in San Diego county.
    Hippies built this house back in 1983. One part is aligned solar E/W, the other part is aligned magnetic N/S. It's at the base of the Cascade foothills, so generally temperate.
    There's a cathedral ceiling with a west facing floor to ceiling window and an upstairs hallway across from that window in which the sun shines directly down at the equinoxes.

There's a Trombe wall sunroom on the S. side of the house.

But electricity is relatively cheap in the PNW due to hydro and back in the 80s there was no gas in the street. Between all that and the low carbon footprint of electric here, it makes sense. Maybe not in CA until solar really ramps up.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Called bright & early at 7am and you guessed it - no availability until Monday. Talked to the tech and got some tips I will pass along. Texted renter gave him tips, again offered my portable units and said "btw I have mine set at 76 degrees."

Haven't heard from him yet - he's a cop and works the 3pm to 1am shift. If push comes to shove I have another house I could let him use but he and his wife have parents/extended family who live local so......

It's not like it isn't working and as I said the place has an open floor plan with mutiliple ceiling fans,

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    You should ask the service tech to explain that to him too.
    Yup. That's my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    What’s the rent? Can I keep a couple horse there?
    Wait, never mind, to damn hot there.
    $1500. There is a fenced area but you'd need to build a shelter. Also has a large 3-bay shop with an outside covered shed row. There are lots of trees on the property around the house just none that shade the house.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Heh. Double wide. . They actually sound nice. I'd like mine with super thick roof with solar, and way overhanging eaves. Plus super thick walls. Definitely going to be wanting a house all on one floor.
    Yeah it's a dbl wide (2096.0 sqft) - architecturally they aren't much to look at on the outside but the inside is nice and spacious with lots of built-ins, closets, big bedrooms and baths, kitchen island, gas fireplace, laundry, etc. It's a perfectly servicable house and probably nicer than many stick-built homes in the area. It's only 15 yrs old.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Yesterday it was 78.5F at 8:00pm inside which is just barely tolerable, but it's 75F around 4:00pm.
    It was still over 100 here at 5pm last night.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Yikes.

And your renter complaining it’s76 is bullshit. What a baby.

My AC unit in western WA can barely keep a 20 degree differential but it’s likely not built for eastern/central WA heat.

Once we get 95+ degrees it’s almost running constantly to keep my house at 75/76. I have no shade trees.

Doesn’t help my wife decided it’s homemade pizza for dinner today and will run our oven at 550 degrees for 2 hours during the hottest part of the day………and I’ll have to nag her to run the exhaust fan.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A/C is the primary reason Americans are getting soft.

Change my mind.

KQ, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here. 76 degrees inside when it's north of 100 outside sounds like it's working correctly to me. My little portable unit lists the max operating temperature at 95 degrees I believe. Currently it's 79 in my basement office. It's a little muggy and uncomfortable but who cares. It's in the upper 80's upstairs and I'm going to go make a g&t to enjoy while I cook dinner. A few weeks a year with a house that's a few degrees warmer than optimal doesn't sound like a big deal to me. I'm not sure that I'd pay for the tech to "fix it" unless something is actually broken.

Not that I'm particularly fond of cops in general, but one must realize he's working swing shift outside in the miserable, late day heat - not zooming in to a meeting. Guaranteed he's having trouble sleeping at the warmer temps. I'd be looking for a shower and a 65F bedroom to pass out in after a shift like that.

I give KQ props for being responsive and offering assistance when it's way more than likely that the heat is just extreme and everything is working as well as possible.

Yup, same here last night. High was 104.

MTB ride this AM - push off at 0700, temp was 55. At 0730 it was 68, removed outer layer. Back @ trailhead 0905, temp was 83.

Two more days then back to pleasant…

As far as HVAC, Our house is same size as your rental but two stories. Ten years old, with heat pump and lots of southern exposures. With all the blinds (plantation shutters) closed and no lights, laundry, indoor cooking, etc. after 1000, we can keep it at 77-78 during heat of day. With W2 warmer both during day and esp. at night, he’s got no room to bitch IMNSVHO.

It's soo damned hot that last night I lit the fire pit out back to sit by and cool down... seriously though.. Was going to cut the grass tomorrow morning early until after lunch I noticed that it's supposed to rain from 6am on all day. So out in to the furnace I went. Taking a water break before I finish the edging..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Fuck this. They've extended the heat advisory AGAIN!

It's hot here in Bozeman, but only for the afternoon. 8 pm markedly cooler. Outside of town overnight and in the canyon pleasant and cool overnight. 95/97 for the next couple days. Can't believe hot hot it is in e wa. Jesus.

Bring on fall. I hate the heat.

Just got voluntold to walk a mile in a parade in a mascot costume. Wish me luck!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Thermostat is 82 in the house, luckily my office feels cooler, as it is under a big tree and the ceiling fan is on high. Trying to hold off on the AC as long as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by larilinesign View Post
    Just got voluntold to walk a mile in a parade in a mascot costume. Wish me luck!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Grab some ice packs to stick in there!

Time to boof some ice cubes!

sounds like a perfect sitch for one of those ice vests.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Time to boof some ice cubes!
    Vodka ice cubes!

Tech went out to check the AC unit at the rental yesterday and verdict was...... nothing wrong with it. It was just damn hot out.

S'all good. Unit got a maintainence check-up and now the renter understands the limitations of cooling a house when it's 110 degrees out.

Was 75F inside when I got up this morning... does not bode well for the rest of today.

Tech went out to check the AC unit at the rental yesterday and verdict was...... nothing wrong with it. It was just damn hot out.

S'all good. Unit got a maintainence check-up and now the renter understands the limitations of cooling a house when it's 110 degrees out.
    Tell him to boof some ice cubes.

It's hotter than a whore house on nickel night

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Was 75F inside when I got up this morning... does not bode well for the rest of today.
    I went to make coffee and one of the kids had noped out on sleeping upstairs. It was 75 downstairs so I don’t blame him. Scared the shit out of my caffeine seeking ass. And it got smoky.