Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    House was actually 70 this morning! Woo hoo!

Barn cats were all spunky it was so cool but no need to worry - supposed to 106 next Tuesday and in the 90s for the foreseeable future.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

47F last night, 61F in the house this morning, high today forecast to be 77F

and yeah, forecast is for a few days of 90 Sunday and Monday, dipping into 70s thereafter, then back to low to mid 80s.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

60s and blowing like hell out of the east. Going to be a cool 24 hrs and then back to summer.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    That’s a fucking nightmare. I mean, is that thing meant to inspire terror in children? It’s like a dime store flash but for the discount he’s a fucking total psycho. Like he sees you at the Whole Foods and tries to be friendly, but it’s just always really uncomfortable. Then you find out he works at the only good butcher shop in town. Every time you want a tenderloin roast, there he is, looking at you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    So the parade was aight.

Trip report:

So @OregonDead and I roll up to our parade group. In addition to ourselves, we had 2 people carrying the banners, 2 guys driving a 14-wheel big rig truck, 2 ladies cruising around on a tricycle-couch hybrid, and 1 guy rippin around on a unicycle (he has a second job as a world-renouned unicycle stuntman, so he was fkn sick at it).

9:30 rolls around and I could feel the temperature steadily rising. I hop in the back of the big rig to put the mascot suit on. It is make of thick wool, and stuffed with lots of cotton for the superhero muscles. There are many layers to it, so it's pretty damn hot, to say the least. It takes about 15 minutes to put on, and no sooner than I get the cape clipped, they ask me to put the head on and come outside to take photos.

That was my fatal error, to spend 9:45-10:15 bouncing around the hot parking lot getting lots of promotional photos. Those suits are really only designed to be worn in 10 minute increments. Kinda like being in a sauna. I was just so hyped and in character and having so much fun!

Next thing I know, we're rolling out on the parade route, which is about 1 mile in the full sun. Temperatures are still climbing, and I'm starting to feel a bit woozy, but pushing through it. I've skied some of the craziest descents in the world, so I ain't afraid of a little sun!

The first 3/4 of the parade route goes really well. Leaping, rolling, waving, high fiving, fist pumping, break dancing, hugging kiddos, and chasing the unicycler around in circles. You know, mascot stuff. Oregondead told me it was the best appearance by the character he's ever seen

And then, I hear someone from the crowd say, "Are you alright in there?! Its so hot!!" Suddenly I wasn't superhero mascot guy. I was a scared little girl who'd lost track of time. I looked around for my handler Oregondead, but I couldn't see anything in that damn head.

I did a breathing exercise to calm down and began hero marching and waving and fist-bumping. I couldn't handle the leaping anymore and could barely get my hand above my shoulders.

Relaaaax relaaaax. I was like a Buddhist monk in there and pushed through till the end of the route.

Finally it was over and I climbed into the back of the big rig and tried to chew my way out of the suit. It takes another person to get the thing off, so I was on my back, flopping around for a while trying to get to the zipper. The driver noticed the commotion of me slamming against the sides of the truck and finally came by and freed me.

Lord have mercy, I stripped down to my undies and was bright red and soaked in sweat by the time Oregondead got to me. Cracked a little smile and asked, "Did the kids love it?"

It was 91°, and I'd spent a consecutive 90 minutes in the suit with the head on. Came home and fell asleep for 4 hours.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larilinesign; 08-13-2022 at 03:32 PM.

Heat index was 119 here today in Cedar Rapids. That is like 65% humidity at 96 degrees or another way to say it is dewpoint of 79 degrees at 96. You step outside and are soaked with sweat instantly. Meantime a comfortable 76 degrees with 47% humidity in my house.

Photo from NWS Quad Cities.

https://www.facebook.com/10006487743...ZSBuptoo5p4pl/

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    LSL, I thought you were in CA
    Some parts get cold (fails to climb above 70). Also there's been rain in various parts recently. All the way north, and south in Death Valley. Cold and rainy? Where's my sun and seasonal drought?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    House was actually 70 this morning! Woo hoo!

Barn cats were all spunky it was so cool but no need to worry - supposed to 106 next Tuesday and in the 90s for the foreseeable future.
    I was just out your way Thursday and Friday to visit my dad. Sounds like we hit the weather just right.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

47 deg F this AM as I type. House is cold. 95 by Tuesday.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Was 44* at 0615 this AM. And since I opened all the windows last night the house was a pleasant 56*
    High of 97 predicted today, hotter tomorrow. MTB ride in an hour, then siesta for the PM.

Cooling to high 80s by Wednesday

52F here last night, currently 64F in the house with 88F forecast for today, 58F forecast tonight, 90F forecast tomorrow before cooling into the 70s by Wednesday.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Just say no to Seattle area cooling. I love this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I was just out your way Thursday and Friday to visit my dad. Sounds like we hit the weather just right.
    Yes you did. Where is your Dad?

Our long range forecast is not pretty. Mid 90s to low 100s day after day after day after day........
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Hot and spicy last night!

Absolutely incredible T&L storm yesterday. Luckily it came with torrential downpours to help mitigate fires but there were still a few standing wheat and natural cover fires. At one point there was so much lightening it was like a strobe light. Just non-stop flashing and the flashes were so bright that they turned night in to day.

Too many strikes for the tracker to keep up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	081022storm.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	423551

that's nuts. saw it on the radar at one point.... kinda cool to be there I bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Fucking hot and humid in La Jolla, CA. Thankful for the ocean this week.

Yup, my dogs are so stoked for AC. We like it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    that's nuts. saw it on the radar at one point.... kinda cool to be there I bet.
    Not really cool. I stayed up until most of it had moved off making sure I didn't end up with a fire.

Not really cool. I stayed up until most of it had moved off making sure I didn't end up with a fire.
    type 2 fun.

Holy hell, I saw some of the damage caused by the hail with the storms. Lucky if you don't have any damage.

Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I luv me sum cool dry weather.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Holy hell, I saw some of the damage caused by the hail with the storms. Lucky if you don't have any damage.
    Wallowa got walloped!

Name:  W1.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  31.6 KBName:  w2.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  27.2 KBName:  w4.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  29.3 KBName:  w6.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  41.2 KBName:  w7.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  33.8 KBName:  w8.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  25.8 KBName:  w5.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  29.0 KB

Yikes!

Passive is better than solar powered active. I've seen and lived in a number of hippie houses that were very easy to heat and cool in VT. It seems the trend is away from that and toward high-tech solutions that use solar and batteries. How about adding modern solar and batteries for the few watts needed to regulate a passive house?

It's bread-baking day, and it has been a bitch getting things below 70F at night in the house... so I suspect I may need to engage the A/C today for a little while.