Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Really does seem to be cooling down.

What a brutal couple of days.

A lot of thoughts about protecting against this for the future.

AC, attic insulation, windows... what's the best bang for the buck?
    Good insulating blinds and some curtains help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Really does seem to be cooling down.

What a brutal couple of days.

A lot of thoughts about protecting against this for the future.

AC, attic insulation, windows... what's the best bang for the buck?
    Dbl celled blinds.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Good insulating blinds and some curtains help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Have the blinds.

The attic is probably what needs doing first. Old insulation up there is basically worthless. Probably an attic fan too.

But it's tempting to be able to set the thermostat to cool... even if its just for these crazy few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

We use bamboo blinds on the outside of all our windows that see the sun. Makes a big difference with that bamboo taking the heat before it hits the house. Does nothing for the ambient air temp at 43C though.

It's hotter than a whore house on nickel night

Attic insul is biggest bang for buck. Over insulating is always worthwhile. If you ever have the walls open for a project, improve the insulation. It doesn’t wear out. It’s cheap comparatively to other building systems.

If your windows are old, then those may offer bigger energy improvements, but that is invariably spendy.

A/C is a net loss for $ & energy, but comfort is significant even in a moderately insulated space.

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, insulate the full shell of the house & keep the mechanical systems INSIDE the thermal envelope..ie no vented crawl space or vented attic. This works in all climates, but is especially noticeable in the ones with bigger thermal swings. Only downsides: not super cheap & not as easy to do in a remodel situation.

Attic fan not really worth much. I’d change the color of my roof shingles first & I like them dark.

4:30am and it's 80 degrees.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I was wrong with my sigma 2.
    It's quite unique
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Picture
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E44sqV5WYAAef0A.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	378260
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

There goes the Horstman glacier.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

We hit 116 in PDX yesterday. Vegas ATH is 117.

As I biked home from work yesterday my brake levers were almost too hot to touch. I passed numerous homeless people on the sidewalk that seemed to be suffering from heat exhaustion and maybe even heat stroke. It was heartbreaking. When I got home I emptied my freezer of ice cubes and took them with some cold water to a few homeless people in my neighborhood. Thank goodness the worst of this heatwave seems to be behind us.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

It only made it to 83 yesterday, a cool breeze came down the straight and kept things nice and cool, I didn't bother to turn on the ac. Things seem to be back to normal with temps in the mid 50's this morning.

https://www.windy.com/station/madis-...398,-122.899,8

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Picture
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E44sqV5WYAAef0A.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	378260
    Mega-outliers.

I got in an argument with someone in the comments section of Cliff Mass' blog who tried to tell me this heatwave didn't qualify as "anomalous." Sorry, dude, but I don't think you understand the definition of the word if you think this doesn't qualify.

Running about ten degrees below yesterday at my house so far. I hope it ends up a little more than ten degrees cooler for a max otherwise it's still going to be really hot.

Ran the fans all night but still 78F inside the house @ 5:00 am, 62F outside.
    Got inside down to 74F by 8:00 am. Still cool outside even with the sun up.

I'm getting about 5 hours of sleep for the last 4 days. I'm exhausted.
    We've resisted upgrading the HVAC here, but this is nuts, my inner treehugger is done. May also have to cave to an automatic transmission.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Hot at my sisters place. I am sure glad they have lots of water.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-06-29 082656.png
Views: 295
Size:  36.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    We hit 116 in PDX yesterday. Vegas ATH is 117.

As I biked home from work yesterday my brake levers were almost too hot to touch. I passed numerous homeless people on the sidewalk that seemed to be suffering from heat exhaustion and maybe even heat stroke. It was heartbreaking. When I got home I emptied my freezer of ice cubes and took them with some cold water to a few homeless people in my neighborhood. Thank goodness the worst of this heatwave seems to be behind us.

Thx for doing what you could to help.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I got in an argument with someone in the comments section of Cliff Mass' blog who tried to tell me this heatwave didn't qualify as "anomalous." Sorry, dude, but I don't think you understand the definition of the word if you think this doesn't qualify.
    Never read the comments. Danno can back me up on this.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

Running about ten degrees below yesterday at my house so far. I hope it ends up a little more than ten degrees cooler for a max otherwise it's still going to be really hot.
    Mass and his blog attract a special brand of kook.

Yeah, he does a good job when he sticks to weather, but he veers outside his lane a bit too often.

Some other records from Monday include SeaTac-108F, Olympia-109F, and Dallesport (right across from the Dalles, OR, on the Columbia River) tied the all-time state record of 118F.

Quillayute, less than a mile from the ocean and almost as north as you can get in the lower 48-110F. That one really blows my mind. There are reports that just a bit inland from there got to 118F, which would tie it for the hottest anywhere in WA ever. What the fuck! That is like Tofino being the hottest place in Canada ever.

Seattle now has a higher record maximum temperature than Miami, Atlanta, Washington DC, or Chicago.

Portland's record high exceeded that of Houston, Austin, or San Diego.

And record cooling. Portland cooled by 52F (116 to 64) and Salem by 56F (117 to 61) in a matter of hours. Seattle cooled by 46F. Quillayute by 48F.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Thx for doing what you could to help.
    Thanks. Felt a bit like shoving some bubble gum in a dam crack but it was the least I could do. Living in Portland means constantly seeing people lying face down on the sidewalk and it's hard not to become desensitized to it. Yesterday hit differently though.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Attic insul is biggest bang for buck. Over insulating is always worthwhile. If you ever have the walls open for a project, improve the insulation. It doesn’t wear out. It’s cheap comparatively to other building systems.

If your windows are old, then those may offer bigger energy improvements, but that is invariably spendy.

A/C is a net loss for $ & energy, but comfort is significant even in a moderately insulated space.

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, insulate the full shell of the house & keep the mechanical systems INSIDE the thermal envelope..ie no vented crawl space or vented attic. This works in all climates, but is especially noticeable in the ones with bigger thermal swings. Only downsides: not super cheap & not as easy to do in a remodel situation.

Attic fan not really worth much. I’d change the color of my roof shingles first & I like them dark.
    Attic insulation has been put off for far too long. Will do this fall.

Put on a new roof two years ago, picked a light colored shingle.

And probably AC when the rush dies down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Seattle now has a higher record maximum temperature than Miami, Atlanta, Washington DC, or Chicago.

Portland's record high exceeded that of Houston, Austin, or San Diego.
    Give it 4-6 weeks, I am certain San Diego will be smokin, like everywhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

It also blows my mind that Lytton, BC is now the hottest place ever in Canada and on the day it set the record, if someone really wanted to, they could have crossed the Fraser river, and hiked to skiing in the snow covered mountains above town.

How about Lytton, BC having the hottest temperature ever recorded in Canada? Lytton is at 50 degrees N latitude. A location 50 degrees of the Equator shouldn't be getting to 47.5 degrees C (118 F).

edit: altasnob beat me to it.