Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    KQ is hot
    Was there ever any doubt?

Opinion: It’s not the heat. It’s the existential dread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...nxiety-coping/

BELLINGHAM, Wash. — Walking the aisles of the grocery store on Friday, you could feel an edge in the air. One cart carried a stockpile of reusable ice packs; in another, an inflatable inner tube. Under different circumstances, these purchases might be mistaken as part of a routine midsummer haul. Not this summer.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” a grocery bagger told a woman hauling ice blocks onto the conveyor. “I don’t have air conditioning — maybe I’ll just show up here by the freezers.”
    Then, as forecast, the heat hit. A record-setting wave stifled the Pacific Northwest this week, sending temperatures in Seattle to 108 degrees on Monday. Portland, Ore., hit an all-time high of 112 degrees on Sunday, only to be topped by Monday’s 115. Where I am in Whatcom County, Wash., minutes from the Canadian border, roads have literally buckled under the heat. The average June high in these parts is 69 degrees.

The physical danger is real in a region where air conditioning is rare, and the stagnating heat is impossible to ignore, but all this record-breaking has fed another sensation just as oppressive: a lingering existential dread about the future.

All week, a sinking feeling has accompanied each day’s heat; there’s a distinct psychological pain that accompanies the thought that the unbearable present is only a preview of the extreme climate to come. It was 116 degrees in British Columbia on Sunday. And it was 73 degrees on snow-covered Mt. Rainier, above 10,000 feet. In one city in Pakistan, a different system pushed temperatures to levels “hotter than the human body can handle.”
    It’s not hard to imagine what comes next. And that’s what makes it so horrifying.

The phenomenon of climate anxiety has sharpened for many over the past few years. In a poll from October, 55 percent of respondents said they were “somewhat or extremely anxious about the impact of climate change on their own mental health.” People who had been insulated from the disastrous effects of warming — thanks to geography, or privilege, or both — are newly confronting this uncomfortable reality in their daily lives.

I include myself in this group. When I moved to Montana in 2017, I felt the toll of wildfire season — the acrid, choking campfire smell, the stultifying beige filter that drains color from the land and steals your breath. Since then, my lifelong anticipation of summer has been shot through with unease. I feel powerless and irritable and anxious. And as bad as 2017 was, last September’s fires and smoke were orders of magnitude worse.

We can, however, find effective ways to cope. Britt Wray, a postdoctoral fellow at Stanford University and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, writes about climate anxiety and grief in her newsletter, “Gen Dread.” She explains that the field of mental health is now scrambling to develop tools for people struggling to coexist with this existential threat. One strategy, Wray says, is finding ways of embracing and accepting that distress, rather than pushing it away.

It feels unfair to come out from pandemic lockdowns and confront yet another crisis that requires reserves of resilience. But Wray argues that squaring up to your anxiety and dread around climate change “gives you resources to draw from and ultimately makes intense moments like this heat wave easier to bear.”

“If we can acknowledge our feelings and bear the fact that we’re faced with extremely difficult truths about the planet, we can use that to gather strength,” she said. “This is not easy. You need to know you’re not alone but also know that you’re not going to find a silver-bullet solution.”

One of the most important things we ought to be doing, according to Wray, is talking about the climate crisis honestly in our everyday lives, with our friends, family and colleagues. “We can’t just do it when it’s 114 degrees in our neighborhood. We need to weave it into our social fabric,” she said. It won’t be comfortable, but it will reflect the urgency of the moment we’re all living through. And this small piece of common ground is critical if we hope to address this emergency.

It’s still hot where I am. Fire season is now underway. I feel anxious as I set up the new air purifier in my home. But there is a small comfort knowing I’m not alone, just as there is a glimmer of opportunity in our collective alarm. Talking about our shared dread won’t bring down the temperature or vanish the smoke, but leaning into the grimness is grounding — because a dystopia feels only more dystopian when everyone’s trying to pretend things are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    I bet you like to report snowfall totals from the wind drift locations, eh?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Absolutely, and I steal candy from babies when the opportunity presents itself. Jesus, when did you turn into such a humorless prick?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Fkn hell, or fairly similar id imagine. No sign of relief. Still breaking records after a couple 49c days in the interior.
    Thought id pedal dowtown after i met up with a dood to buy a handlebar. Wasnt sure i could carry the black riser bar the 1/2 km to the pub after the sun hit it. Sheltered it from the sun, pass it off and rolled back home until the sun drops. Fuck that shit. Rolling cali mtb style now. Early lapz, siesta, dusk laps, sleep, repeat

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

BBC World News reported BC reached 121F yesterday.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

not to worry...

It was "only" 39c/102f here the last couple days. The 49c/121f was kamloops and elsewhere in the okanagan. I cant imagine, i was instantly drenched here. I think i remember a 104f day as a kid(we were F then) but 121 is quite the jump. Snowballs chance of that being remorely bareable

Clouding up here and along with it the humidity is rising. Fucking great. I've had enough of this handbasket. Let me out!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I was just at the craft brew, i had to go outside cuz the the over cranked AC was making me cold, while hanging outside buddy jake put on a sweater
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sorry, does not compute. Wuts a sweater?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Sumbuddy that sweats.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/y...g&action=click

fred was always wearing nice sweaters eh neighbor ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Sumbuddy that sweats.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/y...g&action=click

fred was always wearing nice sweaters eh neighbor ?
    There has to be a cosby joke in there somewhere

Did somebody say Crosby?

Name:  Image1625139497.198838.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  207.4 KB
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Woot! Cloudy and 76 degrees! But just to keep things on the uneven keel.... irrigation pump hose exploded this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    A Jumper.

KQ, how does your donkey do in the heat ?

I ask, because a long, long time ago I worked as a wrangler/farrier and I remember the mules dealt with heat way better than the horses did. No experience with donkeys though.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    KQ, how does your donkey do in the heat ?

I ask, because a long, long time ago I worked as a wrangler/farrier and I remember the mules dealt with heat way better than the horses did. No experience with donkeys though.

Donkey's are desert animals and are said to need less water than a camel plus they have a lot of common sense with a strong sense of self preservation (much more than horses) so they will seek shade when they need it. I have one old gal who didn't shed out quite as much as she should have yet so she got a little overheated day before yesterday but not too bad. I drapped a frozen towel over her neck to help cool her down. I also give them hay in a trough full of water to encourage drinking.

Name:  T.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  93.5 KB

It depends on how hairy her donkey is, Harry.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Donkey's are desert animals and are said to need less water than a camel plus they have a lot of common sense with a strong sense of self preservation (much more than horses) so they will seek shade when they need it. I have one old gal who didn't shed out quite as much as she should have yet so she got a little overheated day before yesterday but not too bad. I drapped a frozen towel over her neck to help cool her down. I also give them hay in a trough full of water to encourage drinking.

Name:  T.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  93.5 KB
    She looks embarassed. Does the towel match her hooves?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

As of yesterday's forecast, today was supposed to be 102, sunny. As of 5:30 this morning; "I woke last night to the sound of thunder. How far off, I sat and wondered".... Shit! Unpredicted thunder storms this morning. Lightning but no rain in my area but some rain in other areas around the county. Driving in to work, could see a plume of smoke to the SE from my office. Not. Good...

ETA: This is the breaking news on the fire. Hope they get this contained and fast.

https://www.kxly.com/level-1-evacuat...rt_type=banner

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    She looks embarassed. Does the towel match her hooves?
    That towel really ties those asses together.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That towel really ties those asses together.
    Inappropriate

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Inappropriate
    Typical TGR, I asked a legit question about KQ’s ass and look what happens to the thread.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

To be fair, KQ did post a picture of her hairy ass.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang