Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    summer polar vortex moving in for the midwest. 25-30 degrees below average.

How the hell do you cope with the heat guys? I mean, have experienced the 100-110F heats couple of times in mid east and longer
    exposure to 90´ish F in some other places and damn...it just not only wears me out but puts me totally of the rocker. Like, basically I am a zombie.
    I acclimatize well to altitude and I basically thrive in colder temps...and I love sauna like most of scandis..but jeesus. The Heat.

Do you guys stop giving a shit and go on a rampage with scissors or do your bodies just adjust? Frigging weird to think that you
    just brush of 100F+ degrees and carry on doing your normal things like..living?
    Last edited by Meathelmet; 07-14-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Idiocy.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Move slower.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Well well... we set a new daily record. Topped out at 106 and now we're having dry lightening!
    Better than dry heaves. True story: the village of South Lincoln, VT had problems with one stretch of road bulging in the summer, so they put up these cute signs that looked just like their winter counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    How the hell do you cope with the heat guys? I mean, have experienced the 100-110F heats couple of times in mid east and longer
    exposure to 90´ish F in some other places and damn...it just not only wears me out but puts me totally of the rocker. Like, basically I am a zombie.
    I acclimatize well to altitude and I basically thrive in colder altitudes...and I love sauna like most of scandis..but jeesus. The Heat.

Do you guys stop giving a shit and go on a rampage with scissors or do your bodies just adjust? Frigging weird to think that you
    just brush of 100F+ degrees and carry on doing your normal things like..living?
    What Mazderati said - move slower and actually wear more clothing and a hat. Loose clothing is best. Yesterday I was out moving irrigation pipe and it took me forever because I had to take it really easy. Lots of water, lots of breaks and no running around. I don't think I've adjusted in the 6 years I've been here - I still miss the Seattle weather. My horses on the other hand have adjusted. The first year here one of my geldings stopped sweating - it was a nightmare. He would overheat and start hyperventilating. He would have to come in and be cold hosed three times a day plus have a mister set up in his pasture shelter which he would stand under for hours. He's fine now but that first year was dicey.

Cricky, at 11pm it was still 90 degrees and uber humid. I know because I was down at the barn saving my mare from a snake that had slithered into her paddock - nothing dangerous (a gopher snake) but the cats were after it and it was hissing and striking which got my mare wound out which in turn got my geldings wound up so there I was at 11pm dispatching a snake. The fun just never ends!

How the hell do you cope with the heat guys?
    This is the First World. Air conditioning, of course.

Looks horrible but evidently it's the right thing for them to wear:

Bedouins stay cool because their robes are so thick.

Summer Science: Clothes Keep You Cool, More Or Less

High of 108
    Yeah but that's a dry heat.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    This is the First World. Air conditioning, of course.
    Yup - AC in the tractor cab too (along with a killer sound system). Can't imagine how nasty it was to harvest wheat in an open cab - the heat and all that chaff flying everywhere sticking to you. Yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    Yeah but that's a dry heat.
    Small mercies.... small mercies.

How the hell do you cope with the heat guys?
    Drugs help. I'm a little surprised that I'm the first person to mention that. I guess people are getting old here.

Weed and ruffles to stat cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Drugs help. I'm a little surprised that I'm the first person to mention that. I guess people are getting old here.
    Elephant in the room, I mean I was over at epicski, and they talked about the young rude crowd here, and fuck- it's just a bunch of old pharts. Who whine about everything.
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

Yup - AC in the tractor cab too (along with a killer sound system). Can't imagine how nasty it was to harvest wheat in an open cab - the heat and all that chaff flying everywhere sticking to you. Yuk.
    My buddy who went to Whitman said he used to drive harvesters all night while tripping balls on acid in those air conditioned music friendly harvester cabs. He also said school was very difficult during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    My buddy who went to Whitman said he used to drive harvesters all night while tripping balls on acid in those air conditioned music friendly harvester cabs. He also said school was very difficult during the day.
    Not unlike driving a Cat I imagine.

Not unlike driving a Cat I imagine.
    or a groomer...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Crickey this heat is kicking my butt. Today they gave up giving us a definitive temp and said "somewhere between 101 and 108 and oh, BTW 40mph winds" Nice. Governor has declared a state of emergency for most of Eastern Washington

Crickey this heat is kicking my butt. Today they gave up giving us a definitive temp and said "somewhere between 101 and 108 and oh, BTW 40mph winds" Nice. Governor has declared a state of emergency for most of Eastern Washington
    It's not that bad, I've seen worse around here. Good news is the forecast high for Saturday is 81 in Wenatchee. Last night when we got home from Seattle it was 94 at 10 pm.

It was 49 degrees here this morning when we put the boat in. I think we tied a record low or something going back to 1930. Now have windows open and it is perfect...in mid July...in Iowa...enjoying what is probably the best weather on the planet. Thanks for sending it over here. Not me but this is from this morning's perfection.

Because it's hot and windy...?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    It's not that bad, I've seen worse around here. Good news is the forecast high for Saturday is 81 in Wenatchee. Last night when we got home from Seattle it was 94 at 10 pm.
    Not bad if you get to work inside but my job takes me outside during the hottest time of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Because it's hot and windy...?
    High fire danger. By making the declaration it allows impacted individuals to apply for federal funds if and when their homes/farms burn.

PORTLAND, Ore. – A handful of new wildfires, some started by lightning, grew dramatically Tuesday in central Washington, and several threatened homes even as firefighters made progress against a destructive Oregon blaze.

A brush fire that jumped containment lines Tuesday night temporarily closed a 20-mile stretch of Interstate 90 in the central part of the state, said Washington State Transportation Department officials. The highway reopened late Tuesday night.

State firefighting assistance has been ordered for the Stokes Road fire, burning in north-central Washington's Methow Valley. That lightning-caused fire has grown to 600 acres. Residents of seven homes were told to leave, fire spokesman Jacob McCann said.

Another fire 10 miles north of Leavenworth quickly raced across 200 to 500 acres in heavy timber, sending up a 20,000-foot column of smoke and spitting embers as far as a mile ahead of the main blaze, fire spokesman Daniel O'Connor said. Homes were threatened there too.

That fire, too, was caused by lightning, O'Connor said.

Washington's largest wildfire, the Mills Canyon blaze near the central Washington town of Entiat, was 40 percent contained Tuesday and holding steady about 35 square miles.

Kittitas Valley firefighters worked to protect farm homes in the Badger Pocket area near Ellensburg from a wildfire burning on the northern edges of the Army's rugged Yakima Training Center.

Winds forecast as high as 30 mph Wednesday could test the Washington firefighters on all fronts.

In southern Oregon, crews trying to save rural dwellings got help from a natural force they usually dread when winds turned around a spreading wildfire.

That kept the fire from breaking out of a 4-square-mile area near the ranching town of Sprague River where crews were trying to dig containment lines, fire spokeswoman Erica Hupp said Tuesday.

The fire claimed six houses when it broke out Sunday in the Moccasin Hill subdivision, and destroyed 14 other structures, such as barns and garages.

Hupp said it began expanding Monday afternoon, making a run that covered about half the length of a football field. It was in an area where bulldozers hadn't dug lines.

The flames were moving away from Moccasin Hill, Hupp said, but if the winds hadn't forced the fire back on itself, other homes in the area would have been threatened.

"It really did kind of help the firefighters," she said.

The fire, which has burned across nearly 4 square miles, or 2,500 acres, was 15 percent contained Tuesday. Hupp said many residents who had been evacuated were back at home.

Hupp said the cause hasn't been determined, but lightning has been ruled out. Elsewhere in Oregon, weekend lightning has been blamed for dozens of fires.

A stubborn wildfire in Northern California that authorities say was sparked by exhaust from a truck threatened dozens of additional homes on Tuesday.

The Bully Fire around the rural community of Igo in Shasta County was threatening more than 68 structures, said California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokeswoman Teresa Rea. Some of those homes were under mandatory evacuation orders, though she didn't know exactly how many.

The fire, which began Friday and has destroyed eight homes and 10 other structures, had burned through nearly 13 square miles, or 8,100 acres, of forest land. It was 20 percent contained.

A 27-year-old Sacramento man has been charged with recklessly causing the fire and with marijuana cultivation, both felonies. Authorities said he was delivering supplies to an illegal plot when the fire broke out.

In Idaho, residents of about 60 homes in a small central Idaho town remained under voluntary evacuation Tuesday as crews fought nearly 20 lightning-caused fires in the Boise National Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Being stoned in sweltering heat...I´ll pass.

Well, unless Mr.Lawrence was onto something.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Normally I would be right with you guys bitching but today it's a dry 76 here, so suck it.

56 and raining here.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Boner fucking city here in Minneapolis this week.
    Upper 40's at night.
    More importantly a dry, non-batwing 60's during the day.

Forecast says:

Tomorrow is forecast to be MUCH COOLER than today. High - 98.

LOL!! 98 is "much cooler". Ugh.

That riding arena I want to build may just turn into a swimming pool

Just sent guys up to Hells Canyon. They'll be happy to hear that it will only be 98 tomorrow.
    Living vicariously through myself.