Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWMD: Former Employer Wants Help

Research organization. Recently departed. Offered to continue existing work as needed but former employer passed. Receive email today asking for help; presumably without pay. No particular interest in helping management, but one of the other parties is decent and my name is attached to the work. Departure did not involve any shitting on desks but exit was on terms other than great.

Don't respond? Tell them to CC payroll? Just do it? WWMD?

Do you know you did shoddy work and will be associated with it? Or will it just look bad on the company?

Id just ignore them if it wasn't going to be the death kneel for your career.
    Live Free or Die

Do it as a consultant, and make big bucks. Free? not a chance.

not without getting paid

if you do it for free and what can you gain? what leverage do you get

you must continue building power and clout

any kickbacks or trades available?

dont presume anything, ATTACK
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

name attached = engage them somewhat to learn details of their situation and what, exactly, it will take to "help" them.

While gathering information, you can assess, usually instantly, if compensation will be offered, they might even reply with an offer right away.

….many times not focusing on money, but results, will win you money from employers.
    Last edited by DasBlunt; 07-10-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I've been in this situation with technology where the departed has a unique knowledge of an application and I have called asking for help. They always helped. I'd ask if they just need a key or something more substantial. In the response list your billable services rate.

I did this at my last job. I left because they wouldn't pay me... So the follow up work got billed at $150/hr, $75 minimum per request - as in "if I get an email from you, it's costs $75 for me to read it". Ended up with just about all the money they didn't want to give me, plus a much better job somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Why would a former employer presume you'd do the work gratis? Unless you desperately need them for a reference or see yourself going back, I'd respond and decline. As long as you're working for them, you won't be working for someone else (and getting paid), or you'll be doing both have no time to waste here and/or spend elsewhere.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Why would a former employer presume you'd do the work gratis?
    Because like most humans now they are complete fucking assholes?

Tell 'em to get fucked.

Had a similar situation years ago. I was nice and gave a months notice. Prick of a boss thought he had someone hired during the first week and told me to clean out my desk that Friday. Tuesday he had the secretary call to ask me to come in and help out because the person never showed for the job. I quoted an hourly rate that was double what I was getting. He balked and I walked away feeling good. I know it sucked for the people still working there but after getting told to leave with a couple of hours notice after I gave plenty of notice to properly transfer all of my projects, I was in no mood to be gracious and help out.

You said there was a third-party who was decent. You might consider offering THEM help, if there's a way to do that and it's not too time-consuming. But helping the former employer, after they rejected your first offer to help, where you left on less than great terms, for free, sounds to me like the kind of thing that doesn't merit more than 20 minutes of your time.

Would I spend 15 minutes answering questions on the phone for free, yeah, sure. Would I actually roll up my sleeves and help for much longer than that for free? Only if the boss was one of my close friends. How much I charged to help would depend on the circumstances, how much I liked them, how much it would help me professionally, how much I had them over a barrel.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Why would a former employer presume you'd do the work gratis? Unless you desperately need them for a reference or see yourself going back, I'd respond and decline. As long as you're working for them, you won't be working for someone else (and getting paid), or you'll be doing both have no time to waste here and/or spend elsewhere.
    Former? How about present. Check out clientsfromhell.net which is a cool site for freelance graphic artists to vent with tales of stupidity and greed from the client side. It's stunning to know how many expect free work.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 07-11-2014 at 10:27 AM.

if it is a minor thing - like answering a quick question

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Do it as a consultant, and make big bucks. Free? not a chance.
    period.

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    period.

exactly. i get paid hourly to do the work i do. if i left and they needed my services in an ongoing fashion, i'd ask for double my prior hourly rate, billable in 1/2h increments. free? no way...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Would I spend 15 minutes answering questions on the phone for free, yeah, sure. Would I actually roll up my sleeves and help for much longer than that for free? Only if the boss was one of my close friends. How much I charged to help would depend on the circumstances, how much I liked them, how much it would help me professionally, how much I had them over a barrel.
    This. I have an acquaintance that kept me in business for several years. He kept me busy and always came to me first with work. He called and asked questions all the time and I had no problem chatting with him about anything. Now, it if involved me doing anything other than talking on the phone, he knows I would charge and that's the way the world works. I just quoted a good friend what some outside the industry may consider outlandish rates for a project, but I actually cut him a deal. Friends, aquiantances, ex-employers, etc. No one gets a free ride or your are actually making yourself less marketable.

And if you leaving wasn't on the greatest of terms and they still want you to help, that is a sign right there you are in high demand. Charge for it.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Don't respond? Tell them to CC payroll? Just do it? WWMD?
    quick e-mail, what is the scope of work & what are you paying ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

WTF does CC payroll mean? Put it on their credit cards?

I'm with dd on this one. What's the upside potential for something that will make you happy?

Shit, for all you know, they're asking for your help to put lipstick on the pig and sell it off for their own benefit or whatever someones (as in the dead majority owners) will dictates. Which means collecting shit will be out of the question later if it all goes to probate and you don't have a binding contract signed by someone authorized to sign a contract. Shutdowns can be brutal. You need to ask their intent and find something they'll give in return. What's their intent and benefit? Do some investigating, talk to everyone you can to find out if you're not being told something. If they are lying to your face, find a way to make it backfire to your benefit. For the chuckles, if no other reason. You're in the drivers seat. Report back with details. Sounds like there's a padded room story in it all.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    WTF does CC payroll mean? Put it on their credit cards?
    CC, the copy function on emails.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    CC, the copy function on emails.
    Carbon copy

That was my first thought but it seemed too obvious...nevermind.

That's ok I just want a carbon copy of the bya

well played, abraham.

so, maz, keep us posted, eh?