shark attack morons!

anyone see the video of the fishermen in Manhattan beach who hooked the great white laughing as the shark attacked the swimmer? My God is that distributing. As someone who once made that swim, and others like it under piers in CA, those clowns should be fucking shot.

holy shit.

http://youtu.be/ESzXLQhMMlo

The report I saw said they were chumming as well.

The director of the Manhattan Beach Pier's aquarium today knocked down reports that anglers had chummed the water with shark bait just before a fisherman hooked a 10-foot-long great white shark, which then chomped and spat out a swimmer.

Officials said nothing illegal was done, and Aquarium Co-Director Eric Martin told the Los Angeles Times that he was there and saw no chumming Saturday morning.

The swimmer, Steven Robles, told reporters he suspected that chum had enticed the juvenile shark into an area crowded with swimmers, and said such an act was stupid. Robles is part of a group of open-ocean swimmers who regularly swim between piers in the South Bay.

Several newspapers and TV stations reported that witnesses accused the anglers of throwing chum -- bloody fish parts -- into the water, and using chum as bait on the line that temporarily hooked the shark.

But the fisherman involved denied he was chumming and said he only used a small sardine as bait, according to the CBS Los Angeles stations CBS2 and KCAL9. He or she were reportedly confronted by surfers who came out of the water after the bizarre incident.

The fisherman's version of events appears to be backed up by law enforcement, who shut down all fishing from the Manhattan Beach pier until at least July 8, but said the fisherman had done nothing illegal, according to KCAL9/CBS2.

"For what we fish for, there is no need to chum," the unidentified fisherman told KCAL9/CBS2. "The fish are already there.

"They're not attracted to blood. The fish we're fishing for have nothing to do with it."

I thought the swimmers were the chum???

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    What a bunch of fucking monkeys. "Oh look, someone's getting attacked by a shark... hahaha."

If you're searching for Shangri La in the Lou, you're directionally challenged!
    Calmer than you dude

Fisherman spend lots of money. Shut them down, and a whole segment of the economy goes to shit.

I say pull the plug. Force fish harvesting to non-competing areas without tons of recreation. The oceans are over fished anyways...
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Yeah, cause it's the guys on the dock that contribute to overfishing.

That said, what a bunch of assclowns laughing at someone getting attacked by a shark.

I have no desire to surf in California, despite how rare this chance encounter is. Just seems like a lot of White Sharks in those waters.

I still call it The Jake.

spook Guest
    yeah, plus the worse the fisheries get the further sharks are going to go to get fed. humans = tofu for sharks

Ok, so obviously laughing at someone in serious danger like that is completely dick, no argument there. But who are these swimmers who think it's a good idea to swim around these piers within casting distance of the fishermen? People are always fishing off these things, there are always lines in the water and it will always be a hazard.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    Ok, so obviously laughing at someone in serious danger like that is completely dick, no argument there. But who are these swimmers who think it's a good idea to swim around these piers within casting distance of the fishermen? People are always fishing off these things, there are always lines in the water and it will always be a hazard.
    I'll bet no one even had a beacon, shovel, or probe.

Assholes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    humans = tofu for sharks
    I bet we're tastier than that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

But who are these swimmers who think it's a good idea to swim around these piers within casting distance of the fishermen? People are always fishing off these things, there are always lines in the water and it will always be a hazard.
    On the East Coast we also have to deal with tampon applicators, used syringes, and Wonder bread wrappers. Plus August is jellyfish season.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

But who are these swimmers who think it's a good idea to swim around these piers within casting distance of the fishermen? People are always fishing off these things, there are always lines in the water and it will always be a hazard.
    They're pretty far out and unless someone tried to snag them, I don't think it would be much of a hazard just swimming into a line.

I was windsurfing in the BVI's on a very windy day. I was a couple of miles off Tortola trying to point above this big sloop motoring into the wind. It didn't look like I'd make it above him, so I bared off into a broad reach and went ripping behind him. I heard the line on my sail before I saw it and it took me a second to figure out what it was, just as a big ass treble hook ripped a huge hole in my sail.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I bet we're tastier than that.
    Not really. They usually spit human out and move on.

But who are these swimmers who think it's a good idea to swim around these piers within casting distance of the fishermen?
    I can't really tell from the video how far from the pier the swimmers are, but are they really within casting distance? They seems a ways off to me. I would think swimmers would try to give piers a fairly wide berth. However, when you are distance swimming piers are the obvious reference point to sight against and judge distance swum.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Not really. They usually spit human out and move on.
    yeah, but tofu.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I can't really tell from the video how far from the pier the swimmers are, but are they really within casting distance? They seems a ways off to me. I would think swimmers would try to give piers a fairly wide berth. However, when you are distance swimming piers are the obvious reference point to sight against and judge distance swum.
    I would think so too, but toward the end you can tell that a few of those swimmers are pretty damn close to where they are filming from. However I would guess that when the shark came into contact with the swimmer, they were much further out as a 10ft shark is sure to be peeling line off the reel pretty fast.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Apparently the fishermen were supposed to cut the line as soon as they hooked the shark. They claim thought it would be dangerous to do that near swimmers, but obviously a hooked shark is a lot more pissed off than one that has been cut free. Fishermen don't like to lose expensive gear. I've cut trolling lines with the fin on my sailboard and my wife has done the same with the centerboard on her sailboat--we try to give the fishing boats a wide berth, even though we have the right of way, but what do they expect when they have lines out a long way off the stern of their boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    They're pretty far out and unless someone tried to snag them, I don't think it would be much of a hazard just swimming into a line.

I was windsurfing in the BVI's on a very windy day. I was a couple of miles off Tortola trying to point above this big sloop motoring into the wind. It didn't look like I'd make it above him, so I bared off into a broad reach and went ripping behind him. I heard the line on my sail before I saw it and it took me a second to figure out what it was, just as a big ass treble hook ripped a huge hole in my sail.
    I bet that was a pucker moment!
    I still call it The Jake.