Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If you like 'em, rock on. But, 6 hours seems like a lot of cooking time for baby backs. I just do mine at 250 for 3.5 hrs uncovered the whole time time and they're great. Moist and good bark. Even for spare ribs I do the same thing but just add another hour. The one caveat I can think of is that I'm doing it on the E310 (propane) so the humidity is naturally higher than a traeger.
    Not sure the difference between wood pellets and propane smoking but the temp is always fluctuating with wood burning, it feeds the fire pellets when the temp drops.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...baby-back-ribs

3hrs works too, just looks like you keep it a 300 the whole time. If I’m in a time crunch I’ll use this.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...baby-back-ribs

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My outdoor grill is done for. Does anyone have a Blaze grill?

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

No, but I'm sure that's what you'll be doing when you're using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
    No, but I'm sure that's what you'll be doing when you're using it.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Check out the TEC too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I like the TEC grills and my brother has a couple of them. At BBQ guys, they only have 44 and 26. I am really looking for something in between. I'm putting in a big burner next to it as well. I also really want a rotisserie for chicken and pork.

Rotisserie work pretty great on my TEC though I rarely use it. I use the smoker for those kind of cooks.

So I finally said I surrender to the Big Green Egg and bought a Traeger 780. So far, some success, still trying to get the time and temperature in check.

Picking up a prime rib to smoke for the holidays. About a 15 pound one.
    Suggestions on coating, time and temps would be appreciated.

Working toward medium rare, and for those who want medium, will probably stick them in the convection oven for a few minutes.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    So I finally said I surrender to the Big Green Egg and bought a Traeger 780. So far, some success, still trying to get the time and temperature in check.

Picking up a prime rib to smoke for the holidays. About a 15 pound one.
    Suggestions on coating, time and temps would be appreciated.

Working toward medium rare, and for those who want medium, will probably stick them in the convection oven for a few minutes.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
    I have not done prime rib, but I do have a pellet smoker (Grilla).
    Key things:
    1. Good pellets. Traeger's are decent and there's a bunch of others out there, but this is the first key.
    2. Don't leave the pellets in once you're done - they pick up water like whoa and cleaning out the pellet auger is a gigantic pain.
    3. Put the meat in when you start up, NOT when it's up to temp. The best smoke comes as it's heating up, so make sure it's in there when you start it up.

My Montreal smoked meat. 2 weeks pickling, 8hrs on the Acorn (big green egg knockoff) at about 250F, 3 hours gentle steam later.
    It's probably my 6th attempt and best so far. I think I have it dialed. It's like angels waltzing on your tongue.
    Giving away most as presents to people. Give the gift of meat!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	montreal smoked meat.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	397706
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211221_092957974.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	397705
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I have not done prime rib, but I do have a pellet smoker (Grilla).
    Key things:
    1. Good pellets. Traeger's are decent and there's a bunch of others out there, but this is the first key.
    2. Don't leave the pellets in once you're done - they pick up water like whoa and cleaning out the pellet auger is a gigantic pain.
    3. Put the meat in when you start up, NOT when it's up to temp. The best smoke comes as it's heating up, so make sure it's in there when you start it up.
    Thanks. I've got a Bass Pro beside the house and they have a bunch of different pellet brands. A bunch of Cabela's on the shelf, and a small section of Traeger.

Figured out you have to start with low temps to get any smoke. Otherwise, only heat.

Good point on the moisture properties of the pellets. This thing has a dump hatch so I can put them in a 5 gallon bucket and seal.

Didn't think about the start up smoke.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Traeger website has a ton of ways to do it. I usually follow their guidance with the cook times and temps but do my own thing with spices and rubs etc.

The comments sometimes have good tips.

Digital meat thermometer is helpful too so you don’t have to open it up to check temp

https://www.traeger.com/recipes/slow-smoked-prime-rib

Never used Pecan pellets, I actually like the blended pellets for everything.

Comments seem more helpful sometimes than the steps.

FYI, avoid the Momma's Meatloaf promo.

Traeger 780. Prime rib was 16 pounds. Started at 2 hours on 175 for smoke. Cranked it up to 225 for 4 hours. Got it up to about 115. Cranked it to 250 to finish it, and let it get a little too done. 141 yields medium. Wanted medium rare. Flavor was good. Tender. No objections from the crowd and it went away somewhere. :-)

Threw a chicken on the WSM yesterday. No photos but it turned out awesome.

Dry brined the bird. Ran the WSM hot. Vents wide open, full basket of lit charcoal, no water pan, no wood chunks…

Might be my new favorite way to a cook a bird.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Awesome! How hot is “hot?”

warmer than “warm” I’d imagine
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Threw a chicken on the WSM yesterday. No photos but it turned out awesome.

Dry brined the bird. Ran the WSM hot. Vents wide open, full basket of lit charcoal, no water pan, no wood chunks…

Might be my new favorite way to a cook a bird.

Oh yeah, whole chickens on the smoker are dead easy and always perfect.
    Apple wood is the call for smoking birds IMO.

Did a 16 lb brisket for my memorial day BBQ. Came out pretty solid but had to hold it for too long. Still have probably 3 lbs in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Awesome! How hot is “hot?”
    That thing maxes out at like 375ish… so hot for a
    smoker…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

That sounds about right. 375 is good temp for my birds (chicken and turkey) w/o drying parts out. Our kids got super picky about poultry lately, which is a drag.

Grabbed this Weber Smokefire EX6 off of the classifieds last week for $450.

My Sam's Club $199 special was just small enough to be frustrating when it was time to move the meat around.

The Weber is pretty amazing. It easily got up to 600 degrees and was also able to hang at 225 when I threw a turkey breast on it on Sunday.

It's going to be a good summer.

She’s beautiful.

Bought a Camp Chef Woodwind pellet smoker recently. Sprung for the propane burner/griddle side attachment too. So far I've done bacon wrapped chicken tenderloins, salmon, ribs, burgers, steaks, and a pork shoulder and they've all come out pretty fkn awesome without really knowing what I'm doing. The side burner attachment has actually been awesome for reverse searing after taking burgers and steaks off the grill/smoker. Totally sold on the thing.

The ease of pellet smokers allows even chumps like me to turn out amazing meals on the regular. It's been one of my best ever purchases. I still smoke something at least once a week.

A recent pic of my butt:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4427.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	418310