Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    AK- roast looks awesome. Nice work!

Did some bacon wrapped, Jalapeño popper stuffed smoked chicken breast. Used this recipe:https://heygrillhey.com/bacon-wrappe...uffed-chicken/. Also did a few without the bacon and stuffing because of picky eaters.

Turned out awesome. Highly recommend it.

Holy shit that looks delicious. The recipe has that pic of the inside too.

Wrapping a dead animal around another dead animal and smoking it, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Well I received some devastating news yesterday.

Apparently the pellets for my smoker upset my wife’s stomach. I called bullshit but over the last year she has complained of stomach issues after every Traeger meal. Some quick research shows they use soybean oil in the pellets. The electric smoker I used to use didn’t cause the issue and she never complained.

Anyone else hear anything like this? I think the Food is delicious and obviously I have no issues with it.

She’s a good wife, I’d hate to have to get rid of her over something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Well I received some devastating news yesterday.

Apparently the pellets for my smoker upset my wife’s stomach. I called bullshit but over the last year she has complained of stomach issues after every Traeger meal. Some quick research shows they use soybean oil in the pellets. The electric smoker I used to use didn’t cause the issue and she never complained.

Anyone else hear anything like this? I think the Food is delicious and obviously I have no issues with it.

She’s a good wife, I’d hate to have to get rid of her over something like this.

Tell her she's now vegan and you'll take the bullet for her by eating her portion whenever the Traeger is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Tell her she's now vegan and you'll take the bullet for her by eating her portion whenever the Traeger is involved.
    That’s what I was thinking.

More smoked meat for me!!!

“Make yer own dam self something to eat woman!!,I’m meating!!”

Bummer! That's interesting. Are you using Traeger branded pellets? Other brands maybe without soybean oil? I use ones I get at the rest supply store pretty cheap.I think the come from canuckistan. Never looked at or researched the ingredients.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Yea. Traeger pellets. From what I read and Traeger has a video on how they make them. The oil isn’t really an ingredient, just used in the processing as a lubricant I believe which adds small amounts to the pellets.

Oh well. I’ll search for something and see what happens.

May go back to an electric smoker with real wood chips. Sucks because I just gave mine away 2 months ago.

Smokers, grills, and BBQs. What are you cooking?

Yea. Traeger pellets. From what I read and Traeger has a video on how they make them. The oil isn’t really an ingredient, just used in the processing as a lubricant I believe which adds small amounts to the pellets.

Oh well. I’ll search for something and see what happens.

May go back to an electric smoker with real wood chips. Sucks because I just gave mine away 2 months ago.

Bunch of different pellet brands out there. I’ve been using Lumberjack for a while since I can get bags for $10

https://bbqlumberjack.com

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Bunch of different pellet brands out there. I’ve been using Lumberjack for a while since I can get bags for $10

https://bbqlumberjack.com
    Yea I saw those. Have to find a dealer near me and give them a try.

I’d have to call and ask if they use any oils.

Fucking wind. I was maintaining 250 with my pork butt on the Weber Spirit 310 for at least three hours, even went to the Burlington area to get a flu shot and drop some stuff off for thing #2 and at GoodWill for two hours during that, it did just fine. I just had to have it on a little hotter to keep temp. It blew out while I was eating lunch. It's in the oven now instead of risking further insult on the grill. I sure hope it doesn't taste like mercaptan but I won't know that for a lot longer. Fuck. This was the week where pork prices were up a few dollars too so I really hope it isn't trash. I guess I need some kind of wind shelter. A tiki bar would be nice.

Wind died down. Back outside. My wife needed the oven for a lasagna.

Still got always to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201018_215938762.MP.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	343949
    I see hydraulic turtles.

You have a long butt.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Wind died down. Back outside. My wife needed the oven for a lasagna.
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Still got always to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201018_215938762.MP.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	343949

Having a late Canadian Thanksgiving (wife's Canadian) so did my first turkey. Came out fantastic and the gravy from the drippings was awesome. Did some bacon wrapped carrots and green beans as well on the smoker. Carrots were good but the beans were amazing. All recipes from Hey Grill Hey and highly recommended.

Dang. Looks delicious. How’s the turkey on the Traeger? What flavor pellets?

Thinking of smoking one for Thanksgiving

Dang. Looks delicious. How’s the turkey on the Traeger? What flavor pellets?

Thinking of smoking one for Thanksgiving

I just used the Traeger blend pellets from Costco, but I think those cause problems for your wife, right? I think any would work. The turkey had a nice, mild smoky flavor and stayed pretty moist. I forgot to refill the water pan for a couple hours and think it would have been a bit better if I had kept it filled for the whole smoke. Takes about 30 minutes per pound, so took right around 7:30 for the 15# turkey. I'm a dark meat guy and it was some of the best I've had. I usually fry my turkeys, wanted to try the smoker and will definitely do it again.

I just used the Traeger blend pellets from Costco, but I think those cause problems for your wife, right? I think any would work. The turkey had a nice, mild smoky flavor and stayed pretty moist. I forgot to refill the water pan for a couple hours and think it would have been a bit better if I had kept it filled for the whole smoke. Takes about 30 minutes per pound, so took right around 7:30 for the 15# turkey. I'm a dark meat guy and it was some of the best I've had. I usually fry my turkeys, wanted to try the smoker and will definitely do it again.
    Yea. I think it was the Mesquite pellets that got her stomach, they are pretty strong. I may go back to the blend and give it a try.
    Looks like you butterflied the turkey, I didn’t even think about that but makes sense. Nice work.

How does the Traeger smoker do when it is cold outside? Tomorrow we are supposed to have some snow in the morning. My plan is to smoke salmon. Will the traeger work well under 30-35 degrees?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Smokers, grills, and BBQs. What are you cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    How does the Traeger smoker do when it is cold outside? Tomorrow we are supposed to have some snow in the morning. My plan is to smoke salmon. Will the traeger work well under 30-35 degrees?
    Should be fine, will just use more pellets to maintain temp.

They have blankets you can buy or you can DIY something to insulate like an old blanket or something.

Just can take a little longer as the temps cycle, especially with a cooler (salmon) smoke.

With Turkey day cancelled... I kept the order of the local fresh free range bird. Broke it down and cooked half of it one the WSM with no wood/smoke - just charcoal and as hot as it will go (my little 14” holds 325-350 with a full basket and vents wide).

Definitely will repeat this with the other half bird in a few weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Tried something new yesterday, tri tip smoked like a brisket. Had read about it, but found a decent price at Costco, so decided to go for it. Hit a crazy stall where the temp didn't move for 3hrs. Finally wrapped it and it started going up. Was supposed to take 9hrs, but ended up being taking 12hrs!

In the end, it was worth it. Super moist and tender like brisket with a meaty, steak like flavor. My family went nuts for it. It's earned a spot in the rotation.

Tried something new yesterday, tri tip smoked like a brisket. Had read about it, but found a decent price at Costco, so decided to go for it. Hit a crazy stall where the temp didn't move for 3hrs. Finally wrapped it and it started going up. Was supposed to take 9hrs, but ended up being taking 12hrs!

In the end, it was worth it. Super moist and tender like brisket with a meaty, steak like flavor. My family went nuts for it. It's earned a spot in the rotation.
    Mmmm

Nice smoke ring on that.

Need to fire my smoker up soon.

Huh. You would think Tritip wouldn’t have enough fat in it to stay in the smoker for 12hrs without turning to sand. Will have to try this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Phatty, curious what temp your smoker was and what you went to on the internal? I smoked a tri-tip that looked similar in size at 250 (I think) and it only took like 4 hours, but I can't remember the internal temp I went for.