Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1080
  1. #1051
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,379
    ^^^this. You can also just chuck a couple of pellets into the firebox for testing purposes. Should start smoking within a couple minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  2. #1052
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,650
    For Seattle area mags, I have a 5yr old Traeger I'll be getting rid of soon (I upgraded a couple years ago and never use the old one). It's not working now, but I plan to fix it up in the next couple of weeks. Mags will get first dibs once I get it working again.

  3. #1053
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    186
    Riser, if you really want to keep it dirt bag simple and cheap, just use a Weber kettle for smoking. Only thing it won’t do is scale up for huge amounts - but I routinely do two pork butts at a time or 4 slabs ribs.

    for temps, anything thermoworks is the tits but you don’t even need the smoke that someone linked above. You can get their dot single cable thermo in the $20s and for air/smoke temps I just use the thermometer off my Weber gas grill and stick it in the vent holes in the lid

  4. #1054
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    See user name
    Posts
    313
    Game on
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0900.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	581.2 KB 
ID:	477103
    water is the driving force of all nature

  5. #1055
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    20,872
    Yep. Smoked the bird on the grill yesterday. It’s the only way.
    Start on the grill. Transfer to a pan with some water. Turn off the burner under the bird. Tray of wet hickory chips under the other burner.
    Wait for it. And enjoy
    . . .

  6. #1056
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,650
    My 20yo took charge of the bird yesterday and killed it. Used a recipe from TikTok (I guess it's good for something), a person named Max the Meat Guy. Moist and delicious.

    It's crazy how much talk there's been on social media dogging on turkey as a main dish for Thanksgiving. That just tells me that they have no idea how to cook it. Turkey can be amazing if cooked properly.

  7. #1057
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    2,227
    6th or 7th year in a row of frying the bird. Comes out great every time. Peanut oil is expensive AF, might have to switch to 5W30 next year.


  8. #1058
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    9,057
    Successfully smoked a turkey last night on my Green Mountain Grille.

    Question: I live at around 5k feet and have found that actual smoking times are usually 25% faster than a given recipe. It's not the smoker as this is my third smoker.

    Anyone else have a similar experience? I don't know if it's the altitude or high desert.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  9. #1059
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    17,774
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    It's crazy how much talk there's been on social media dogging on turkey as a main dish for Thanksgiving. That just tells me that they have no idea how to cook it. Turkey can be amazing if cooked properly.
    I post this every year and feel like it gets ignored every time. People cook poultry to death for no reason.


  10. #1060
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I post this every year and feel like it gets ignored every time. People cook poultry to death for no reason.

    Yes, it's crazy! A dry bird just means you have no clue what you are doing.

  11. #1061
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    5,741
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    For Seattle area mags, I have a 5yr old Traeger I'll be getting rid of soon (I upgraded a couple years ago and never use the old one). It's not working now, but I plan to fix it up in the next couple of weeks. Mags will get first dibs once I get it working again.
    Did you sell this thing?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  12. #1062
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Did you sell this thing?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No, still have it. Still haven't got it working again. I think it needs a new board, but I need to call Traeger.

  13. #1063
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,285
    Smoked turkey last year. Better than a not smoked turkey. Only 5 of us this year so I made baby back ribs. Way better than turkey.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  14. #1064
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    2,220
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1700959565.841750.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	477357
    Applewood smoked

  15. #1065
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    12,895
    Initial prep on the brisket using unconventional method
    Meat 18lb wagyu brisket.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4118.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	480364
    Trimming: I like to trim most of the fat off the top and bottom, then rub with salt, 6 chili pepper and garlic. When doing initial smoke (up to 170 degrees) I place a few pieces of fat on top for rendering. I make a wagyu tallow with the rest.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4119.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	480365.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4121.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	856.3 KB 
ID:	480366



    More to follow
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

  16. #1066
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,379
    tallow forthcoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  17. #1067
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    12,895
    Tallow in da house!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4122.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	754.4 KB 
ID:	480381

    My wife is going to use some of the tallow to make zwiebelschmalz.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4124.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	480.6 KB 
ID:	480404

    I'll let it sit at room temp for for a few hours and then pop it in to the smoker at 225 overnight. It should be done resting just when I wake up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4129.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	742.1 KB 
ID:	480480

    More to follow.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 12-23-2023 at 06:41 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

  18. #1068
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    12,895
    I smoked the brisket overnight for 13 hrs until it reached an internal temp of 204. It's wrapped in tallow paper. It's 11:00AM and I am not cutting until 6:00pm. I think that I will rest wrapped in the oven at the proofing setting (100 degrees) until around 5:00pm and then increase the temp to 175, which is the coolest "bake" setting. What do you think. I need to rest this thing for 7 hrs before cutting. What is your best method?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4132.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	658.7 KB 
ID:	480544


    BTW: Anyone in need of butcher's paper, just go to WF and ask for some. The butcher will give you as much as you want. I bought my brisket from SRF, not WF. However, I was at WF and asked the butcher for where I could buy some paper. He gave me enough for 4-5 smokes. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 12-24-2023 at 12:22 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

  19. #1069
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I smoked the brisket overnight for 13 hrs until it reached an internal temp of 204. It's wrapped in tallow paper. It's 11:00AM and I am not cutting until 6:00pm. I think that I will rest wrapped in the oven at the proofing setting (100 degrees) until around 5:00pm and then increase the temp to 175, which is the coolest "bake" setting. What do you think. I need to rest this thing for 7 hrs before cutting. What is your best method?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4132.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	658.7 KB 
ID:	480544


    BTW: Anyone in need of butcher's paper, just go to WF and ask for some. The butcher will give you as much as you want. I bought my brisket from SRF, not WF. However, I was at WF and asked the butcher for where I could buy some paper. He gave me enough for 4-5 smokes. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    I usually rest in a cooler wrapped in a towel. Have kept up to 6hrs no problem. Always turns out great.

  20. #1070
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    12,895
    Thanks!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

  21. #1071
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    7,738
    Same. I fill a small cooler with towels and put the meat in the middle. No probs resting for several hours ime
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  22. #1072
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4124.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	480.6 KB 
ID:	480404
    Digging the Bonne Maman jar for meat fats. Those things are the shit, got three in the fridge now with bacon, pork and duck fat. Plus they make great storage for rubs - I keep a bunch w various ones and one lid with nail holes to use as a shaker.

  23. #1073
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    18,491
    Solid work all.

    Merry Christmas!
    watch out for snakes

  24. #1074
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,178
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I smoked the brisket overnight for 13 hrs until it reached an internal temp of 204. It's wrapped in tallow paper. It's 11:00AM and I am not cutting until 6:00pm. I think that I will rest wrapped in the oven at the proofing setting (100 degrees) until around 5:00pm and then increase the temp to 175, which is the coolest "bake" setting. What do you think. I need to rest this thing for 7 hrs before cutting. What is your best method?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4132.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	658.7 KB 
ID:	480544


    BTW: Anyone in need of butcher's paper, just go to WF and ask for some. The butcher will give you as much as you want. I bought my brisket from SRF, not WF. However, I was at WF and asked the butcher for where I could buy some paper. He gave me enough for 4-5 smokes. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Can confirm this was fucking incredible brisket.

    Great smoke ring, amazing bark, juicy and moist

    Would have been stoked to eat this at a high end barbecue joint

    Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  25. #1075
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    19,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirreljam View Post
    Digging the Bonne Maman jar for meat fats. Those things are the shit, got three in the fridge now with bacon, pork and duck fat. Plus they make great storage for rubs - I keep a bunch w various ones and one lid with nail holes to use as a shaker.
    Talenti jars are equally as useful and don't break in your pack or when you drop them. You can even cold soak a lunch in them.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •