Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I have this going on at the moment, too.
    Honestly I don't really mind using a little applewood for the smoke on brisket. It is lighter and sweeter, and just leads to eating more brisket. My dad goes heavy on mesquite and/or hickory, and after 3 big slices it's almost too much.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Tossed some ribs on the egg for a rainy Sunday. Fantastic as usual. Killed the remainder for lunch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6556.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	333037

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Honestly I don't really mind using a little applewood for the smoke on brisket. It is lighter and sweeter, and just leads to eating more brisket. My dad goes heavy on mesquite and/or hickory, and after 3 big slices it's almost too much.
    My kids are getting super picky about it at the moment. Basically only using lump coal for most things. A little apple or cherry for ribs, salmon, or ribs. If I do more, the pickiest won’t touch it. Still considering it to be a phase. They’ll turn around.

So, just did a clean out on the Traeger before putting on a butt. It looks like the burner pot is starting to rust out. Apart from replacing that part (possible?) is there some kind of high-temp spray paint product (wood stove paint maybe?) that I can apply to slow down the deterioration?

Other solutions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

yeah, you can get high temp spray paint
    ask for it at your local hardware store
    or barring that, try a fireplace retailer

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    So, just did a clean out on the Traeger before putting on a butt. It looks like the burner pot is starting to rust out. Apart from replacing that part (possible?) is there some kind of high-temp spray paint product (wood stove paint maybe?) that I can apply to slow down the deterioration?

Other solutions?
    Replace the pot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trae...&client=safari

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Has anybody found a good alternative to the waterpan that is in a WSM or other vertical charcoal smoker? Terra cotta pot saucer?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Has anybody found a good alternative to the waterpan that is in a WSM or other vertical charcoal smoker? Terra cotta pot saucer?
    What's the issue with the water pan?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

coffee can

Thanks... Easy and cheap. Assumed it was more of a PITA than that so failed to google.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Replace the pot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trae...&client=safari

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Thanks... Easy and cheap. Assumed it was more of a PITA than that so failed to google.
    A nice thing about Traeger is most parts can be replaced so you can keep them running forever.

Could be time for a new smoker. Had this Little Chief about ten years. Made many batches of venison jerky and smoked fish, but it just doesn't fire those chips like it used to. And it's kinda yucky.

Name:	20200630_161557.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	333174

It's still good!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I wrap a standard pot saucer (I have the regular WSM, think saucer was 16"...) in a couple layers of foil and place it right on top of the empty water pan. Change the foil if it gets nasty. Don't notice any difference really.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    I wrap a standard pot saucer (I have the regular WSM, think saucer was 16"...) in a couple layers of foil and place it right on top of the empty water pan. Change the foil if it gets nasty. Don't notice any difference really.
    You can still control the temp without a massive heatsink? Mine spikes temp if the water is less than 1/2 full

That thing looks barely broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    You can still control the temp without a massive heatsink? Mine spikes temp if the water is less than 1/2 full
    I don't have any problems controlling or maintaining temperature. The clay is the heatsink. Some people fill it with sand but I don't think it matters. Some people just foil the water pan and leave it empty. Easier to clean is the big benefit for me, but you can also run a lot hotter if you want- sometimes I'll finish a long smoke with some high heat poultry.

I never really get big spikes, but I run mostly briquettes with wood chunks mixed in. If I have larger chunks of wood start burning I can see some increase, but a small vent adjustment is usually all that is needed.

Some wild caught salmon with fresh garden dill

Name:	IMG_1576.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	333529

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Did my first pork shoulder on the E310. It was outstanding, beyond impressive for a gas grill. Perfect smoke level, good bark with a juicy and tender as fuck interior. Also, no stall. 8 lb shoulder was done in 9.5 hours and cruised right on through the usual stall temp. I'm guessing that this is because the water vapor produced by the propane inhibits evap from the meat.

Accompanied with a South Carolina mustard sauce and cast iron skillet cornbread.

Name:	20200704_183726.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	333557

Anyone using a propane oil-less turkey fryer or similar?

Smokers, grills, and BBQs. What are you cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Did my first pork shoulder on the E310. It was outstanding, beyond impressive for a gas grill. Perfect smoke level, good bark with a juicy and tender as fuck interior. Also, no stall. 8 lb shoulder was done in 9.5 hours and cruised right on through the usual stall temp. I'm guessing that this is because the water vapor produced by the propane inhibits evap from the meat.

Accompanied with a South Carolina mustard sauce and cast iron skillet cornbread.

Questions:

1. Temp? And how did you measure? Probe at grill level?
    2. Smoke? Chunks in a smoker box? And for how many hours?
    3. Wrap at all?
    4. What temp did you cook to, 205ish?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Cooked some burgers last night, which were some fancy gras fed whatever... BUT the best ingredient was some previously sautéed mushrooms and bacon that I wrapped in tin foil and heated up on the grill for 30 mins before cooking the burgers. The mushrooms soaking up the bacon fat made for a pretty epic flavor. Tillamook cheddar, and some kinda onion bun.

I haven't been eating much red meat lately, so I'm trying to make it special when I do eat it. Although this was just a burger, it was one of the best I've had in a long time.

Name:	IMG_20200705_172050.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	733.6 KB 
ID:	333663
    Big ass rib eye, roasted potatoes and greens from the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Mmm. I’ll take that chunk of meat in the top right.

(That’s what she said)

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Questions:

1. Temp? And how did you measure? Probe at grill level?
    2. Smoke? Chunks in a smoker box? And for how many hours?
    3. Wrap at all?
    4. What temp did you cook to, 205ish?
    1. Started at 250, trended toward 260-270 towards the end as it got hot outside but I didn't bother to adjust. Just went by the thermometer in the grill lid. I've checked it with my probe thermometer before and it's pretty spot on.

2. Foil packets of hickory chips, 6 total. About 4 hours worth of smoke, which I thought was just right for balanced and not overpowering smoke. Could certainly do more though.

3. No wrap.

4. 195 per the recommendation of Serious Eats. They call for 203 for brisket but a lower temp for pork shoulder. Rested it for almost 2 hours after I took it off and it could have sat longer. It was still at around 170 when I pulled it which is still a bit hot.