Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Try to get usda prime, but at least choice. Dry salt brine the day before. Put a rub on of your choice just before it goes on the smoker and Cook it with the fat cap down, and don’t be afraid to do some injecting of beef stock. Smoke at 225 and wrap in foil when it hits 155, put it in a cooler when it hits 203 for a couple hours until it drops to 150-160. Count on about 75 minutes per pound.

I’ve only done it twice, but they were both really tender and juicy.

Here’s a shot of my first try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2657.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	241779

I’ve been doing fat cap up

Why inject?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I’ve been doing fat cap up

Why inject?
    I’m no expert but what I read was that most do fat cap up thinking that when the fat renders it will seep into the meat. Problem is the meat is too dense and it just drips off, but putting it down helps insulate the meat and keeps it more moist. Could be bullshit, but who knows?

I inject to keep it moist. 10-16 hours is a long time for meat to be cooking, the more moisture the better.

Smokers, grills, and BBQs. What are you cooking?

I also like to know. Both kinda seem sacrilegious....

Also don't get buying a prime cut. It's a tough cut of meat, buying one a time little more tender with more marbled fat is not going to do much aside from drip more. The connective tissue is the same.

Edit. I'm a slow poster and saw your response.

If you have a even temp smoker the fat cap direction won't protect it. I feel cap down let's a lot of flavor go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post

If you have a even temp smoker the fat cap direction won't protect it. I feel cap down let's a lot of flavor go to waste.
    Seems like one of things where there’s as many opinions as there are smokers. Maybe I’ll try a side by side test one day if I ever have to cook for 20 people.

Like I said I’m no pro, I’ve had good success on the 2 I’ve smoked so far. Here’s the article I followed: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...que-and-recipe

I’ve cooked a shitload of good meat and learned a ton from that guy. He knows his smoking.

Fat cap down . Protect your meat before you give it some heat !

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Done a lot of brisket. 250 until 203 degrees. Trim the fat to 1/4" or so. Salt and pepper with oil to hold it on. Fat up or down doesn't matter, it rolls off and a full water pan should keep humidity at 100% so the moisture argument is BS too. It gets dry if your heat spikes above 300. Wrap it at 160 degrees to push through the stall (160 to 170 degrees), that's where everyone gets impatient and spikes the heat when nothing seems to happen for hours. All the connective tissue is breaking down during the stall, and they get dry brisket if the try to rush it. The stall can take hours. Plan for 60 to 90 minutes per lb.

Cut the point off the flat when done. Let the flat cool slowly in a cool over, cooler, whatever. Cut the point into 1.5" cubes and hit it with a bit more smoke for burnt ends. I hate slicing point.

NO SAUCE.

Read Meatheads website www.amazingribs.com for everything I learned when I started. Damn good site for smoked meat and other bbq.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Done a lot of brisket. 250 until 203 degrees. Trim the fat to 1/4" or so. Salt and pepper with oil to hold it on. Fat up or down doesn't matter, it rolls off and a full water pan should keep humidity at 100% so the moisture argument is BS too. It gets dry if your heat spikes above 300. Wrap it at 160 degrees to push through the stall (160 to 170 degrees), that's where everyone gets impatient and spikes the heat when nothing seems to happen for hours. All the connective tissue is breaking down during the stall, and they get dry brisket if the try to rush it. The stall can take hours. Plan for 60 to 90 minutes per lb.

Cut the point off the flat when done. Let the flat cool slowly in a cool over, cooler, whatever. Cut the point into 1.5" cubes and hit it with a bit more smoke for burnt ends. I hate slicing point.

NO SAUCE.

Read Meatheads website www.amazingribs.com for everything I learned when I started. Damn good site for smoked meat and other bbq.

And for the prime vs. choice discussion: in my experience, prime cooks closer to 60 mintues per lb, choice closer to 90 min. Perhaps the choice steers are a bit more ornrey. It is the pectoral muscle of an animal that stands all day. YMMV.

I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Re: the cooler business
    I just put it in the oven (cold oven) on a low rimmed cookie sheet. The oven works great as an insulator, and the meat can sit for awhile prior to cutting/serving.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Smoked buffalo tongue tacos anyone?

Buffalo tongue from Stangel Bison Ranch, Enterprise Oregon

Brine for 24 hours, then simmer for about 90 min.

Remove skin, smoke over mesquite with a couple of bacon slices on top to keep it moist - internal temp to 140F

Make tacos.
    What was in the brine and the liquid you simmered in? I may try this this weekend.

Name:	IMG_1700.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	241889

I think I need a second level

Name:	IMG_7838.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	241924

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post

Name:	IMG_1700.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	241889
    Looks nice.

What is it I'm confused

Green beans & flat iron steak, both off the grill

Garlic salt pepper evoo

Super simple & fast

Oh man I love flat iron. IMO its got one of the best flavor to tenderness ratios.

People just seem to get weird about that vein of gristle. It still does not sell all that well. I think it's still no doubt underpriced.

Thanks all for the brisket advise and links. Feeling much more confident now. Doing some simple pulled pork today just to get back into the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    What was in the brine and the liquid you simmered in? I may try this this weekend.
    Sorry for slow reply. Standard brine of salt, peppercorns, whole allspice, onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Simmered in same

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Sorry for slow reply. Standard brine of salt, peppercorns, whole allspice, onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Simmered in same
    Perfect timing, thanks. Lengua is in the brine prepping for tomorrow.

The Sweet Baby Ray's Wing Sauce is my current fave sauce for wings.

Name:	IMG_3489.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	242246

The biggest pieces always seem to go on when I’m at home solo. Leftovers baby!

Nice work^
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Last week was my best friends 40th birthday.
    We had him and the fam over for a birthday dinner on Sunday.

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	242294

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

The rack in the back was quite a bit thinner and got away from me a bit. Such is life.

Name:	IMG_2742.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	242654

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

^that is hilarious