Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Is there a second stall at around 195 degrees? Everythime that I smoke a pork butt, or brisket, there seems to be one. It takes hours to go from 195 degrees to 203.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

In laws were over so we did both pork butt and burnt ends. Way too much food, but so good. Is it weird to say a piece of meat looks kind of sexy?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by phatty; 09-20-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Is there a second stall at around 195 degrees? Everythime that I smoke a pork butt, or brisket, there seems to be one. It takes hours to go from 195 degrees to 203.
    Seems consistent for me, too. Did two butts today and total time was ~18hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    In laws were over so we did both pork butt and burnt ends. Way too much food, but so good. Is it weird to say a piece of meat looks kind of sexy? Yeah, it's weird.

Not weird, I’m sproutin wood just lookin at those

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Strong.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Strong.
    This series was absolutely fantastic... Loved all 4 shows but the guy from Australia has taken cooking over fire to a whole new level... I would go as far as to say he has made it an art...

And Tootsie at the age of 85 is inspiring...!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I got choked up watching Tootsie's story. Makes me want to quit it all and just cook BBQ.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Agree. There was a New Yorker piece over a decade ago that featured tootsie. The episode was a great focused follow-up to the phenomenon that she created.

I'm sure her q is right on point but that episode was a little dramatic for a cooking show. I mean, her story is touching but it was a little light on actual cooking, donchathink?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Yesterday, when I smoked my pork butt, instead of pouring the usual 2 cups of apple juice and pineapple juice @ 160 degrees and covering, I doused it with and OJ/Black Cherry juice mix. It didn't get out of the smoker until 10ish, so I haven't tried it yet. But I am looking forward to it.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I'm not sure what provokes it, but I've seen that too, but not necessarily every time
    Had it with brisket this past weekend

Just placed my cut sheet for my cow. 60 lbs of Pepper Cheese Dogs.

I like doing bone in chuck roasts more than brisket. There. I said it.

That's a nice pot!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Chef's Table is my absolute favorite.
    I want that filmmaker to film my life story. I bet he could make it look interesting.

Chef's Table BBQ, I was skeptical. I couldn't stop watching.

In the OG Chef's table, there is a guy in Argentina, Patagonia I think. He only cooks outdoors, and people fly him in for events.
    Lennox Hastie took it to the next level with Firedoor. https://www.firedoor.com.au/
    I absolutely loved everything about his art. I am planning on building an outdoor fireplace and pizza oven. I may incorporate a slightly lower open pit with the adjustable grate. I will just have it welded up. Maybe I'll even try to grill my salad.

Here it is-
    Francis Mallmann.

I am sure he is well known in foodie circles, but he was new to me.
    That episode and the one on Massimo Bottura from Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy were my favorites.
    I knew of Massimo from a friend that worked with him though. He is an interesting dude.

Just placed my cut sheet for my cow. 60 lbs of Pepper Cheese Dogs.

I like doing bone in chuck roasts more than brisket. There. I said it.

What temp to what internal temp? And do you cover the Dutch oven or leave it open? I've been experimenting with boneless chuck indirect on the grill and haven't found what I'm looking for. Once it goes in the Dutch oven on a grill it doesn't seem conceptually any different than using an oven, other than not heating up your house.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    What temp to what internal temp? And do you cover the Dutch oven or leave it open? I've been experimenting with boneless chuck indirect on the grill and haven't found what I'm looking for. Once it goes in the Dutch oven on a grill it doesn't seem conceptually any different than using an oven, other than not heating up your house.
    I follow this recipe. Only difference is the chuck roasts I get are bone in. You only cover it towards the end, so it gets some good smoke on it.

Gonna try that. Always loved the flavor of chuck, and maybe less finicky than brisket. It's pretty clear the most big chunks of meat like that do exactly the same thing in exactly the same time. 5-6 hours, at least half on smoke, which some say is about the point at which a piece of meat no longer benefits from smoke, and the other half covered or wrapped.

Pulling it in a mixer? bwahahahaha!
    Last edited by oftpiste; 09-24-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I’m a fan of chuck roasts over brisket too. Hard to fuck up. More versatile too.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Here it is-
    Francis Mallmann.
    ]
    I got his book "Seven Fires" 10 years ago at least. I highly recommend it. Like most of those cookbooks from famous chefs, it's for reading and learning in general more than following recipes. I have cooked a few things directly from the book though. There's a shepard pie that I've made a few times. Once I cooked it for a couple (the wife is Argentinian) and on the spot the husband ordered the book. There's also a potato dish that relies on slicing a ton of little domino size potatoes and cooking them in refined butter. Pretty delicious. I've always wanted to do a lamb over open fire on the cross but it requires so much preparation and I feel like it's the sort of thing that could go sideways really easily. Figured I'd start with a goat since they're smaller but haven't followed through.

I follow this recipe. Only difference is the chuck roasts I get are bone in. You only cover it towards the end, so it gets some good smoke on it.

Recipe link for those people who don't have the attention span to watch a video but are fine reading: https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-pulled-beef/

I gotta try this.

Planning on doing some beef ribs this weekend. My pork ribs have turned out pretty good, hopefully these do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I got his book "Seven Fires" 10 years ago at least. I highly recommend it. Like most of those cookbooks from famous chefs, it's for reading and learning in general more than following recipes. I have cooked a few things directly from the book though. There's a shepard pie that I've made a few times. Once I cooked it for a couple (the wife is Argentinian) and on the spot the husband ordered the book. There's also a potato dish that relies on slicing a ton of little domino size potatoes and cooking them in refined butter. Pretty delicious. I've always wanted to do a lamb over open fire on the cross but it requires so much preparation and I feel like it's the sort of thing that could go sideways really easily. Figured I'd start with a goat since they're smaller but haven't followed through.
    I will have to check it out. That guy is a trip.

Anyone smoke with pear? Just had a huge 45ish foot pear tree taken down. I kept all the wood and split about 1/2 cord today (iceman maul style). Read it should be just like apple/cherry/etc and impart sweetness. Good for fish/chicken/ribs. Just wondered if anyone had actually ever done it.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Pear smoked pork with some kind of mustard rub sounds delicious