Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Nice tipp- I've wondered about smoked lamb for a bit

that lamb looks fucking good

smoked some pig butt in the Char Broil Saturday for World Cup lunch yesterday - a couple 4-5 pounders with a spicy dry rub and basted occasionally with a mix of 1/4 cup Pepper Plant chunky garlic hot sauce + 1 cup lime juice + 1 cup apple cider vinegar - smoked 10 hours with mesquite charcoal and oak chunks - shredded it when I pulled it off the grill and put it in a small dutch oven with some of the liquid in the fridge overnight, then put that in the gas grill set on low for a couple hours yesterday morning to warm it up - smoked pig tacos for all

I have given up on buying and soaking smoker chips - I just cut oak chunks and small branches when I'm doing firewood and gather the little debris from splitting - I have a couple big trash cans full of oak for the smoker - I don't mind tending the fire when I have the time, but a BGE would be sweet

80/20 ground beef formed into a lightly packed patty, salt pepper, high heat (500+) to seat the outsides quickly then lower heat to around 350 for a slower internal cook. Let sit for 5 min before serving. So easy, but so fucking good.

Cheddar+bacon+sauteed onions+tomato+bbq sauce on a toasted bun for the absolute win.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

I love smoked, lamb, it's easy to over cook though. I like putting a sliced slab of bacon on the smoker and gradually spread it out over time. Sprinkle repeatedly with brown sugar for candied bacon. Put above drier meats for automatic sopping.

Last weekend after hiking up mountains, dragging, cutting and splitting wood, 7 of us took down 8 lbs pork shoulder, 15lbs ribs, 2 lb bacon, and 2 3.5 lb chickens over a period of 8 hrs. The lamb had to be saved until breakfast.

Sent from my VS980 4G using TGR Forums

Great thread.

Porterhouse tonight.

FKNA fired up!

and ready to go - pork ribs with dry rub (Tony Cachere's seasoning with brown sugar, dry mustard, ginger and lemon peel - making bbq sauce as this stuff cooks - 1/2 chicken with the rub the local market uses - I don't know what it is, but it's a family favorite

oops almost forgot these - something new - beer brats - never smoked sausages so I thought I'd try it out while the fire was going

now we're cooking

chugging away - unfortunately I'm starving and am about 5-6 hours away from being able to eat this stuff and I don't have any smoked goodness in the fridge - time for stinky cheese, salami and crackers

No way that chicken and those sausages will take that long.

true

I'll pull them before the ribs.

chicken and brats came off after 3.5 hours

Ribs at 4 hours

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    chicken and brats came off after 3.5 hours
    ques: brats not overdone?

Probably

but remember

when you smoke, almost everything LOOKS overdone

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Probably

but remember

when you drink IPA's all night, almost nothing LOOKS overdone
    FIFY. 098765
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

taste test says brats are not quite done

they need another ipa

Brats need to be finished on the grill.

That's the plan. Ribs traveling to a friend's house tonight. Brats grilled for lunch tomorrow. Chicken unassigned at this time.

Tomorrow, I'm going to smoke my first brisket (I've never, ever cooked a brisket) and first smoked chicken. Brisket is dry-rubbed and put in fridge until morning. I'll rub the chicken tomorrow morning, but brining it tonight.

Fat-side up on the brisket the whole time? 5 lb. ≈ 4-5 hours smoked until internal 165...then foil-wrapped until 190. Planning on 6-7 hours total.

I'm thinking vertical chicken, stuffed with herbs for ≈ 3.5 hours. Should I smoke for a couple hours then foil-wrap it....or smoke it the entire time?

Hall of shame:

Did a chicken on the rotisserie last weekend. Had the front and back burner on low, and the middle one completely off. Smoker box filled with (dry) apple wood chips. Got the chicken in position, started spinning, and walked away for probably less than 10 min to clean up the mess in the kitchen. Came back out to a major flare-up. Seems the fat dripping off the chicken found its way onto/into the smoker box, whose wood chips were burning instead of smoking. Awesome; black skin, and raw chicken.

It only took a minute to get the flames under control, and the skin wasn't completely trashed. I was able to salvage the mess, and it turned out pretty tasty, but not the golden, crispy skin I was hoping for. Fucking destroyed a duck in similar fashion last November.

Note to self: Cooks should not be doing dishes, really ever, but especially not during critical stages of teh smokinz. Also need to find the right burner setting so chips smoke, not burn, and the right position for the box, so fat drippings don't end up contacting smoldering wood chips, or the burners for that matter.

I've done some roasts, and even tandem chickens on the rotisserie before without a problem, but without the smoker box. I need a redemption round.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Open top smoker box? Put a foil lid on it and poke holes in the foil. Keeps the O2 level low enough that you don't get combustion.

^It's got holes in the lid, and usually just smokes, not ignites. I blame the jongs who recommended not soaking my chips. Amateurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Brisket and Chicken are AMAZING. Brisket isn't as tender as I thought it would be, but still with great flavor and juicy. Chicken is incredible...flavorful, moist...with a touch of smokiness.

only regret is never doing this before. Smoked turkey next weekend.

I've got jerky marinating, corned beef and pork loin with a dry rub on them, all waiting for the smoker. I'll put a bit of smoke on the jerky, then finish dehydrating it in the oven. The corned beef will get most of the day in the smoker for montreal smoked meat, and then put the pork loin in for a couple hours in the afternoon before dinner.

I also stopped by my local butcher today and have him grinding & mixing up about 10 lbs of ground beef / bacon, in about a 80/20 mix for burgers and meat balls. I'm going to make spaghetti in a few weeks and I think I will smoke the meatballs briefly before putting them in the sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    Brisket and Chicken are AMAZING. Brisket isn't as tender as I thought it would be, but still with great flavor and juicy. Chicken is incredible...flavorful, moist...with a touch of smokiness.

only regret is never doing this before. Smoked turkey next weekend.
    There are usually two cuts of brisket available, the point and the flat. The flat is leaner, and more available than the point. The point will be juicier.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

After reading through this did some wings w/ a rub and apple wood...not sure I'll cook wings any other way for the rest of my life. Good stuff on this thread.

My brother killed a few a birds for his party.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	156990
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	156991

Well, I finished up the day at 2.75/3. The pork loin turned out great. Montreal smoked meat was great, and the jerky was pretty good. The grocery store sells thin sliced sirloin, which is probably 3/8" thick. I was worried this was going to be a bit thick for jerky, but I gave it a go anyways. The flavor is perfect, but it was too thick so by the time it was dry it is tough to chew. Overall still pretty good, and it only cost a couple bucks for what would be $10 worth of jerky in a store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.