Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    ^^^

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Thx, do you use that same set-up to smoke other meats?

(not you, cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Just bought a kitchen aid 4+1 lpg grill to replace my charcoal grill whi h turned out to be virtually unusable at 9.6k' above sea level. I realized that the first time I tried to use it up here 6 years ago, but hadn't bought a gas grill because it just didn't seem right to me that you had to spend $1000 to get a grill that didn't look like it was going to tip over when you opened it. Finally stumbled onto this one at Costco. I think it is made by Nexgrill. I paid $600 for it and it is awesome. This thing is easily as nice as the $1400 Weber Genesis they had at the home depot and light years beyong the Weber Spirit that they sell in this price range. It's made from heavy gauge stainless steel and it's been very easy to get consistent cooking temps, even with the temperature fluctuation and breezes we get up here. When my moron friends were poaching that fish yesterday, we had it locked on 350 for an hour, through sunshine, rain, and hail. No problem. And it get's HOT. 750, easy. The side burner is nice... Didn't look that helpful when I saw it in the store, but we used it all day yesterday and it works great for heating up sauces and side dishes. Would recommend.

I've used the same grill for about three years. Given to us by a friend as a housewarming gift. Has a rotisserie that I have never used, but keep meaning to. I retrofitted it to burn NG from our house line which is convenient, but not as hot at LP. I deep clean it once a year and it's holding up well so far. Still no problem getting parts either, just ordered a few for repairs.

I also bought a Denali 3x Stove by Camp Chef with a two burner flat grill. Holy shit! Best purchase ever. I've only used it camping, but I'm about to set it up on the deck for cooking. It's so damn convenient, cooking bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, tortillas, and of course, CHEESESTEAKS!!! or anything else. I might try throwing it on the grill next.

Smoked burger was an overwhelming success. I put two patties together, with a light dash of Alpine Touch and a slice of cheese in between. Sprinkled Grill Shakers Hamburger seasoning on top. Smoked for about an hour and a half, then finished on the grill with another slice of cheese. Topped with bacon and sauerkraut on the bun. Best burger I've ever had.

Smoker is still going with a tray of kosher salt. I saw these little tiny containers of smoked sea salt in the deli the other day, with a price that was higher than you could buy a full pound container of salt for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    Thx, do you use that same set-up to smoke other meats?

(not you, cruiser)
    Yep, did a standing rib roast around the holidays. Fan-fucking-tastic! Even smoke some lowly hot dogs (boar's head natural casing) that turn out excellent too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Put a disposable pan of 1" diced russets tossed with olive oil, herbs d'Provence, s&p, fresh lemon juice, and a touch of honey on the VC grill tonight at 600*ish. Then when they were close to done I tossed a few 3" thick beef tenderloin medallions on. Finally, while everything was resting, I grilled off a large flour tortilla topped with olive oil, herbs d'Provence, fresh ground black pepper, and some finely grated Reggiano. Served all that up with some green beans almondine and only dirtied up one pot in the kitchen.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Anyone done a "tallboy turkey"? Think beer can chicken upsized.

I have been tossing that idea around my head since I bbqed a turkey last thanksgiving on my standard issue weber kettle. It was the best turkey i have cooked yet.

I don't think i have the vertical space in the kettle for the tallboy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

^^^^ Beer can anything is overrated.
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...n_chicken.html

Did a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	156631

Cut tenderloin in half--Coat t loin with dry rub
    Smear insides with 2 roasted garlic heads,cream cheese, chives.
    Put tenderloin back together by wrapping 2 lbs of very thick cut bacon from yer butcher.
    Tie er up good.
    Indirect med-hi heat for 45 min.
    Dont forget a drip pan.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I want to do pork ribs, brisket, whole chickens and salmon.

Edit- not at the same time btw.
    Either one will do the job if you're just going to use it for smoking.
    Ive found using vertical smokers a little more cumbersome when trying to handle the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Anyone done a "tallboy turkey"? Think beer can chicken upsized.

I have been tossing that idea around my head since I bbqed a turkey last thanksgiving on my standard issue weber kettle. It was the best turkey i have cooked yet.

I don't think i have the vertical space in the kettle for the tallboy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Stomping beat me to it. I bought a beer can holder for a chicken, then read the amazing ribs article, so now I cook vertical chickens and drink the beer.

At thanksgiving I smoked a turkey after brining and wrapping in bacon. Turned out damned good.

I was buying a scope from cabelas a little while back and needed to spend a few more dollars to get free shipping. I ended up ordering this think called the briner, which is basically a glorified 5 gal bucket that has ridges which fit a stopper, holding the meat under the brine. I'm thinking a roast chicken is in the cards in a few weeks when the folks come to visit, and it will be my first test of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    ^^^^ Beer can anything is overrated.
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...n_chicken.html.
    Thanks for the article. Next time I roast I will try vertical w/o the beer.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I've been grilling salmon lately. Very tasty and makes me want salmon jerky. Great trail snack for hiking
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

drunken caght ...

drunken brined ...

drunken smoked ...

drunken ate ...

I've heard of taking smoked salmon in the b/c heating up water adding chives and the salmon as lunch or snakes ...

one time snowforever and I were working on machines in garage, we wondered were shredbaron was, then we hear" breakfast omlete is ready!"

he picked the meat off and D-boned it and cooked a perfect omlete! then we find out he is also on some cooking website looking for recipes n shit !!!

I thought he was just there to hook up with chicks ...

maybe I should post website and his handle so you can fark with him ...

no wait, I won't! he likes to punch douche bags ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

With the last name webb grew up with classic 3hole vent Webber's. Still mostly use them. Rotisserie attachment works great with chicken, baskets o fish(trout/salmon), turkey, and my favorite untrimmed tri tips dry rubbed in pappys blue top.

Best tool for slow n low is a pyrometer to check internal temp from outside. Helps with ventilation adjustments and additions of lump coal to maintain temp,

Love lil smokey joe for travel or little hot n quick jobs. Gas grill really only gets used with pizza stone for pizza lately.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Smoker is still going with a tray of kosher salt. I saw these little tiny containers of smoked sea salt in the deli the other day, with a price that was higher than you could buy a full pound container of salt for.

Smoked salt is great to have on hand. Got hooked doing burgers on stove top during a down pour in winter and wanting great flavor. A little addition added a lot of webber flavor.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

Take pork ribs and cut into single riblets. Put grill on super high. Grab big aluminum deep dish pan like 9 x 13 and at least 6 deep. Put hot links in bottom of pan then grill riblets for a few minutes and throw on top of links. Pour 5-6 jars of Stubbs BBQ sauce on top of links and riblets and make sure everything is covered in sauce. Double wrap top of pan with aluminum foil and seal super tight. Turn grill down to low and simmer 3 hours. Should be lava consistency when finished. Take off grill and pull ribs out. Take sauce and put in dipping bowls. Fish for hot links and put in some hoagie rolls. Dip links in sauce and enjoy with ribs.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I'm going to smoke some baby-back ribs tomorrow. This is what I'm thinking:
    1) Two full racks. Both dry rubbed tonight
    2) Since my 3 burners go from front to back, I'll put the smoker box on the middle burner and keep side burners off.
    3) Put ribs on the sides, furthest away from middle. Both will be dry ribs.
    4) 3 hours @ 235ish. *Remove smoke box, then 2 hours wrapped up in aluminum foil. 1 hour or less unwrapped (*Here's my questions).

*Should I move the ribs to the oven...or continue on the grill? Should I baste them during the smoking or during the last hour or not at all?

Any other advice?

EDIT: Did not produce the amount of smoke that I thought it would. I was thinking the smoke would billow out of the grill. Ribs were too firm after 4 hours...so I wrapped them for another 1.5. they are very tasty...but not the smokiness that I was hoping for. 1st world problem?
    Last edited by gatorboy; 07-08-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Too long for back ribs if you are at 235. No need for foil. At 235, check after 3.5 hours. Sauce then if you want for last 30-45 min. A water container next to smoke box will help keep moist and also moderate heat. Remove after saucing.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Just bought a Weber Genesis E-310. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. About 6 years ago, went from charcoal to gas....and don't regret it. The flame control, convenience, and ease-of-use makes it worth it. With that said....I do miss the "authenticity" of charcoal and wish I had gotten into more natural lump coal and smoking.

bendtheski....I'd like to see a pic of your smoking set-up...and any suggestions you'd have.

Now....looking for recipes and dinner ideas
    Why not have both? I have a gas grill and a 22" Weber kettle.

I'm going to smoke some baby-back ribs tomorrow. This is what I'm thinking:
    1) Two full racks. Both dry rubbed tonight
    2) Since my 3 burners go from front to back, I'll put the smoker box on the middle burner and keep side burners off.
    3) Put ribs on the sides, furthest away from middle. Both will be dry ribs.
    4) 3 hours @ 235ish. *Remove smoke box, then 2 hours wrapped up in aluminum foil. 1 hour or less unwrapped (*Here's my questions).

*Should I move the ribs to the oven...or continue on the grill? Should I baste them during the smoking or during the last hour or not at all?

Any other advice?

EDIT: Did not produce the amount of smoke that I thought it would. I was thinking the smoke would billow out of the grill. Ribs were too firm after 4 hours...so I wrapped them for another 1.5. they are very tasty...but not the smokiness that I was hoping for. 1st world problem?
    If your burners go front to back only turn on the left or right side burner, and that on low, and put your ribs as far away from the flame as possible. The smoke and heat will convect throughut your grill so don't worry about "even" placement. Put smoker box of chips directly on the burner covers. No need to soak the chips - it's bullshit. Just keep an eye on them and add chips if needed you can try dropping them through the grate or slide one under the other to make a gap. Keep an eye on them and turn the burner down if they catch on fire. Douse them with a quick spritz of water.

Sprinkle sugar on them before smoking if it's not part of your rub. Makes for a great bark.

Oh, and use St. Louis style ribs, not baby back. The latter tend to get dry very quickly once cooked - the St. Louis ones have more fat so are less picky.

Here's a great primer on how to tell your ribs are done: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...hey_ready.html
    Last edited by Tippster; 07-08-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Ditto on St. Louis ribs, which are trimmed spare ribs. St. Louis ribs will take about 5 hrs at 235. And use wood chunks, not chips

THX....In hindsight, having the chips on the side (and the grate removed) would allow easier access to the chips.

I may have soaked the chips too much?.....I was planning on putting the ribs on when i woke up, so I soaked them overnight.

Tipp...I'm kicking myself. I gave a way my weber kettle when I got the gas grill, thinking I wouldn't need it anymore. *Mrs. gatorboy thinks her parents still have it. I hope so.

EDIT - drinking Glenfiddich...so I may not make sense

Garorboy, I donated my kettle to a coworker's kid when I got the gas one. Still have a smoky joe, but rarely use it.

It took me a few tries to get my set-up dialed, and it's still a work in progress, but you'll prolly get it figured out pretty quick.

Keeping the meat as far from the flame as possible is a good tip, as well as not over-soaking the chips. Too wet and it takes probably a higher temp than you want to cook at to make decent smoke. Too dry and they burn, not smoke.

Sorry, probably should have clarified that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

THX....In hindsight, having the chips on the side (and the grate removed) would allow easier access to the chips.

I may have soaked the chips too much?.....I was planning on putting the ribs on when i woke up, so I soaked them overnight.

Tipp...I'm kicking myself. I gave a way my weber kettle when I got the gas grill, thinking I wouldn't need it anymore. *Mrs. gatorboy thinks her parents still have it. I hope so.

EDIT - drinking Glenfiddich...so I may not make sense
    Chips need to be soaked for an hour or so. But if you're doing a slow smoke such as ribs, why are you using chips? Chunks are way better. For a gas grill you can put them in the smoker box, no soaking needed.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Chips need to be soaked for an hour or so. But if you're doing a slow smoke such as ribs, why are you using chips? Chunks are way better. For a gas grill you can put them in the smoker box, no soaking needed.
    Not trying to be a downer...
    Helping the cause here for good Q.
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...king_wood.html

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    Not trying to be a downer...
    Helping the cause here for good Q.
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...king_wood.html
    Weird, I just read that page earlier today. It confirmed my experience that soaking doesn't seem to do very much.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

The couple of times I didn't soak my wood (heh heh) I had them flame up in the smoker.