Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    ^^^ Right? Not calling you out, nc, but didja use a little pink salt in the rub or is that full on smoke ring goodness? Cuz either way, that looks stupid good.
    Thanks for the compliments. No pink salt, just regular sea salt and course ground pepper that was rubbed on 12 hours ahead of time. I posted another brisket and someone said I needed to set up the smoke ring game. The challenge was accepted, so this time I started at midnight at 180 degrees. i put a metal pan of water in the smoker to keep things moist. I woke up around 5 am and cranked the heat to 225. The meat stalled at 150 degrees, so I wrapped in foil and flipped it once and then kept the smoker at 225 until 10 am, then I threw it in a yeti cooler for 2 more hours.
    The bark was firm but not burnt and the meat was extremely moist. I was pumped on the smoke ring. I used applewood. I wanted leftovers, but despite having 10lbs of carolina shrimp for a low country boil, the meat was all consumed.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I wanted leftovers, but despite having 10lbs of carolina shrimp for a low country boil, the meat was all consumed.
    Best compliment really

Impressive hunk of meat...and I don’t say that to a lot of dudes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Help! - picnik this aft.
    got 2 newe/used 1 lb propane canisters.
    How much are they weight when fully full, incl. can weight?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Help! - picnik this aft.
    got 2 newe/used 1 lb propane canisters.
    How much are they weight when fully full, incl. can weight?
    http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...opane-canister

Maybe this is the thread, maybe it isn't. Anyway.

Moving into the new place soon. I want a smoker, but I want a propane box smoker. Any reccos from the collective? I know what the "experts" on the web reviews say, but for whatever reason I trust you idiots more.

If this is wrong thread please point in right direction. Muchas gracias.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

My basic bass pro model was about 36" tall and had a single burner in the bottom. There was a lower door to add wood and water. It was a nice easy to use unit for shorter cooks like chicken, sausage, and salmon. But the lack of insulation made it difficult to control the temperature with the precision I wanted for longer cooks. Still, for the hundred or so bucks I had into it, I think it was a good little unit.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I have to try a brisket as that looks good.

Ribs, summer time smoker action.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190616_101133.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	286115

Name:	20190616_163021.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	902.3 KB 
ID:	286116
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

why not pellet?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Maybe this is the thread, maybe it isn't. Anyway.

Moving into the new place soon. I want a smoker, but I want a propane box smoker. Any reccos from the collective? I know what the "experts" on the web reviews say, but for whatever reason I trust you idiots more.

If this is wrong thread please point in right direction. Muchas gracias.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    why not pellet?
    I honestly don't see the benefit. Enlighten me.

Set-it-and-forget it, thermostatic temp control, hopper full of pellets lasts probably 14 hours at lower temps, variety of wood types requiring no prep easily obtained and stored, rarely a need to clean any burn hardware. Also easily used as a wood fired convection oven which as a very nice way to cook lots of stuff besides smoking.

It is not, decidedly, a grill, though most manufacturers would like you to think it is.

Dunno. MIne's been a hoot and was cheap on craigslist. Super easy to use. I save the LP for the grill. Never owned a LP smoker so can't compare. Ask questions if you have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I honestly don't see the benefit. Enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Has anyone smoked wings? The directions I see say around 2-3 hours (depending on size) at 225-250, which is perfect to throw on with ribs. But I don't really want to add more wood for smoke partway through a rib smoke, so am thinking about throwing them on in the beginning, then removing them and putting them in the fridge until later.

Tl;dr: Has anyone refrigerated smoked wings and then thrown them on a hot grill to crisp them up later? Is there any reason this won't work?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Has anyone smoked wings? The directions I see say around 2-3 hours (depending on size) at 225-250, which is perfect to throw on with ribs. But I don't really want to add more wood for smoke partway through a rib smoke, so am thinking about throwing them on in the beginning, then removing them and putting them in the fridge until later.

Tl;dr: Has anyone refrigerated smoked wings and then thrown them on a hot grill to crisp them up later? Is there any reason this won't work?
    I don’t see any issue with doing the wings first and sticking them in the fridge. But I also don’t think adding smoke later would change the outcome of your ribs at all. The vast majority of smoke flavor happens during the first few hours. Plenty of wood and pellet smokers that have no other option than adding smoke for the entire cook.

Was setting up to reverse sear a large venison roast last night. Oven was otherwise occupied so threw it in the smoker, gave it a light smoke while getting up to 120. Let it rest for a few, then seared over coals. Great way to sear a roast and get a bit of smokiness into the flavor!

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post

Be careful with any white meat and fish as a little smoke goes a very long way with chicken, Turkey and fish... My go to is brining, put on egg with clear smoke at 225 to 250 degrees for 2 or so hrs and than put in deep fryer for 1ish min... Always off the charts...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

I got the small 14” Weber Smokey Mountain as a gift. First smoker, second smoke. Still figuring it out, but it’s a fun little BBQ.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1774.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	286320

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I got a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker last year for father's day and love it. It's almost idiot proof- holds temps steady all day. Costco had a sale on ham not long ago, so I bought a few and stuck them in the freezer. Decided to thaw and double smoke one yesterday and I'm never going back. On the smoker at 225* with kingsford briquettes and a fist sized hunk of hickory for more smoke. Let it rumble for about 3 1/2 hours until it hit about 130* internal temp. Glazed it, cranked the heat to about 375* for a bit, pulled and rested. Nailed 140* internal on the nose after resting, and looking forward to using the leftovers for sandwiches and such.

Name:	64998460_414154682505823_1327658095811231744_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	286429

Name:	64727791_2669362076623620_2422594690063794176_n.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	286430
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    I got a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker last year for father's day and love it.
    ditto

cranked the heat to about 375* for a bit,
    On the Smokey Mountain?

If I start low (225F), I have trouble getting the temp above 325F. Even if I remove the water from the bowl.

What are doing to get the temp that high?

Note: I have a 18.5" smokey mountain.

Open all the vents, and I open the door for a few min to let more air in. It gets up to 375 sometimes but 325-350 is sometimes as hot as I can get it.

Has anyone made a wood fired grill of any sort and have any blueprints or advice they would like to share? Im thinking of crafting one for our ranch and just need some guidance.

Smokers, grills, and BBQs. What are you cooking?

I don’t know what you want, but if I had the yard for it, I would build a masonry fire pit and set sleeves in it. Then you could build a removable Santa Maria style, crank/cable hung, grill grate that can adjust up or down that sits in those sleeves, and you could build a second Rotisserie setup that sits in those sleeves. Or just use it as a fire pit...

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Name:	IMG_4170.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	791.8 KB 
ID:	286679

Blackened salmon ceasar. Done in the pellet grill with some charred corn and roasted jalapeño. Grilled lemon on the side.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Flat iron

Name:	IMG_3434.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	461.8 KB 
ID:	287412

Didn't rest it long enough, but this tri tip was awesome.

Name:	58362345075__BCE7E5B6-FF37-4916-AA40-19CD7F184871.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	287517
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Didn't rest it long enough, but this tri tip was awesome.

Name:	58362345075__BCE7E5B6-FF37-4916-AA40-19CD7F184871.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	287517
    Sometimes you're just hungry and can't wait. Still looks delicious.