Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I don't know it for a fact but I'd doubt they put ac's on sale right at the start of the cooling system, right when people are finding out the one they had is broken.

Cool. (hahaha.) Makes sense. Thanks, all i know is some have rebates right now, but I have to get a HVAC to my house in person to find out what models and how much the rebates are. Hard to comparison shop when you have to have a two+ hour window for an HVAC guy to visit your house, times 3 different companies.

The guy who they sell your old unit parts as new replacement parts on their next job is the one getting screwed. I think they make a lot of money scavenging parts out of units they replace when they can get away with it. That's also part of the "cheap fix"..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

This is one of the topics that annoys me so much. Brother's A/C broke down. Had like three different HVAC repairmen look at it. All said he needed a full replacement. He wasn't buying it, so checked it out for himself. Saw an obviously blown capacitor. Was a few bucks for the part and it ran strong for years after the easy swap.

A/C "repair" is one of the scammiest businesses out there IMO. Seems they almost always say you need an entirely new system. I mean, sure. Sometimes the state of a unit can warrant a replacement but man they are bad about going straight for the big sell.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Cool. (hahaha.) Makes sense. Thanks, all i know is some have rebates right now, but I have to get a HVAC to my house in person to find out what models and how much the rebates are. Hard to comparison shop when you have to have a two+ hour window for an HVAC guy to visit your house, times 3 different companies.
    yeah, it's not easy to comparison shop on an item like that, unless the 3 companies all are dealers of the same brand.

And I once tried to find out pricing for this stuff (I was researching whether an HVAC guy had pulled a bait and switch on me) and it was very hard to find out the price difference between 2 different Lennox units.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

i’d be chill if tech was mcgyver savvy enough to swap shit
    out of a replaced unit and bolt it onto my beater system.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

The 1st guy to my dads house determines the compressor and fan both died at the same time. Need a new unit. $8,000.

2nd guy finds a burnt $20 relay.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yeah, it's not easy to comparison shop on an item like that, unless the 3 companies all are dealers of the same brand.

And I once tried to find out pricing for this stuff (I was researching whether an HVAC guy had pulled a bait and switch on me) and it was very hard to find out the price difference between 2 different Lennox units.
    I feel ya. My AC is so old it's under 10 SEER though. So I don't have to see if I'm getting ripped off, in that it could be fixed somehow, I'm happy to replace it. But am I going to get a deal or be over-charged for a new unit? Only the installer will really know.

My dog will be psyched too, he has something new to piss on every morning.

Anybody here ever swapped their own units? Did a bit of digging on what I have and matching stats, seems that IF I were to order a comparable model online, I can swap out my entire system (both air handler and condensor unit) for a couple grand each. I've swapped out compressors and evacuated and refilled refrigerant on my own on cars before, and when I've seen residential HVAC guys do their thing in the past, they seemed to use pretty much the same gauge/hose setups and it's all the same principle.

I dunno. I'm no HVAC expert, but it doesn't look like rocket science to me and if I'm seeing things correctly, by going wholesale direct, seems like I'd be looking at like $4,000-5,000 to swap out everything for a two zone system as opposed to the like $15-20K my neighbor got quoted for the same kind of setup. Am I missing something? Seems to me that WORST case, I could acquire the systems on my own, do the swap, and let an HVAC tech finish the install, right?

I'm not in the market or anything right now. Just thinking about the future when a replacement could actually be justified. Going for a whole home dehumidifier system first before an a/c replacement ever happens (hopefully).

^^
    Never mind. Evidently it's the law in most states that you have to be a licensed HVAC tech to any work involving the refrigerant portion of it. Laaaaaaaame. Understandable, though. Looks like they got us by the short and curlies on that one.