Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgb@etree Guest

HVAC Guys: Did I get boned?

Came home yesterday and it was 84 degrees upstairs. Went outside to check the unit for that zone, and the fan was running. I couldn't tell if the compressor was running because there was another unit running right next to it, bit it didn't sound like it was. Checked the coil, and it wasn't iced and the filters had just been changed a couple of weeks ago.

I was hoping it was a bad cap keeping the compressor from starting, but when the tech came out he said the compressor had shorted to ground and needed to be replaced. Unit was 16 years old so that seemed reasonable enough. An hour later I'm told that the evap coil had sprung a leak. Tech speculates that the coil started leaking, causing the compressor to run low on refrigerant (and oil) and that resulted in the compressor going tits up. Tells me if I want to do it on the cheap, they could just replace the compressor and run some sealant thru the system and it'll be <$1k to get it up & running, but says it's a shitty fix and bound to fail again soon. Recommended fix is complete replacement of outdoor unit and indoor coil.

They came out this AM and basically ripped out the entire zone setup & replaced it. New Carrier 24ACB7 17 SEER 3 ton unit, new line set, and new Carrier CNPVP 3 ton coil. All it, it was just under $4600. Doesn't seem to bad to me as they replaced everything, so the system is brand new for that zone. Did I get screwed or was this a somewhat decent deal? I figured I'd be paying a slight premium as it is the hottest day of the year, and the day before the 4th. Carrier only sells direct to dealer so I haven't been having much luck checking the list prices for the individual components.

The good news is that it is currently 66 degrees up here

Sounds like you paid full retail for a good unit. If they did good work and stand behind it sounds fine.

The cheap way was not the good answer but they wanted to make aware of that option.

Enjoy the weather inside.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    watch out for snakes

All plausible but they had you between a rock and hard place. Without another opinion we can never know if you actually needed a replacement. And I don't think you got boned on the price with installation. However, to play devils advocate:

But there are good ones.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Dentists and HVAC experts! This place never fails to impress.

Carrier. Huh.

Sounds about right. $1500 materials, $1500 labor and overhead, $1500 profit.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Dentists and HVAC experts! This place never fails to impress.
    WTF is it with the raging anti-dentites around here???

HVAC Guys: Did I get boned?

Get to work selling yourself that the energy savings alone will pay for the thing, and thus was free. Stay cool brother.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Shit's no good? I was under the impression that Carrier was good stuff so didn't really give it a second thought.
    I know some anti-Carrier HVAC guys but I'm sure it's fine, hell they literally invented AC. There's been some reliability issues reported, just keep your warranty where you can find it.

It's possible that my anti-Carrier feeling is mainly because of their sponsorship of Syracuse University Athletics.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Get to work selling yourself that the energy savings alone will pay for the thing, and thus was free. Stay cool brother.
    Thanks for the optimism, amigo. The old unit was a 14 SEER, so it'll probably take the life of the unit to recoup the cost. I'm pretty much sold on being cold. I truly *hate* being hot. Not heading up to Magic for the 4th, so hope to see you soon. Any chance you're going to the Vibes?

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I know some anti-Carrier HVAC guys but I'm sure it's fine, hell they literally invented AC. There's been some reliability issues reported, just keep your warranty where you can find it.

It's possible that my anti-Carrier feeling is mainly because of their sponsorship of Syracuse University Athletics.
    Not like it really matters, but the rest of the system (including the unit & coil that just died) is all Carrier, and outside of this problem I haven't had any problems at all since I bought this place 8-9 years ago.

My aunt, who was like a mother to me, lived out in Manlius, NY when I was a kid, so via her influence I've always been a 'cuse fan and probably have a falsely elevated opinion of Carrier because of that... go figure.

Yup, it is possible a leak can toast a compressor
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Thanks for the optimism, amigo. The old unit was a 14 SEER, so it'll probably take the life of the unit to recoup the cost. I'm pretty much sold on being cold. I truly *hate* being hot. Not heading up to Magic for the 4th, so hope to see you soon. Any chance you're going to the Vibes?
    Maybe but definitely tedeschi trucks 8/14.

Quote Originally Posted by the Cock View Post
    AC in NH?

C'mon man.
    CT. Close to Manhattan.

Obviously, judging by the sidebar ads, you should have checked here FIRST!

Residential Carriers are fine .......... industrial, not so much; Trane and York have been solid for me.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post

You the last dude out there without an adblocker? Get some.

No, I'm the last guy out there with a swamp cooler.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    No, I'm the last guy out there with a swamp cooler.
    Tried ghetto rigging one the night the AC was down. I had a bowl of ice water in front of a fan before I just gave up and went downstairs and slept on the couch.

That's what we call an Oklahoma air conditioner, dood.

Not to be confused with an Arkansas bankroll, which is a bunch of ones wrapped around a cucumber.

Besides, evaporative cooling won't work for you there. Too much humidity.

I can't find any Memorial Day sales on a new central a/c unit. Am I wrong to think these things go on sale during Memorial Day? Only found some rebates that I think work if I'm replacing the furnace too, which I'm not. Anyone just get a good deal somewhere?

I don't know it for a fact but I'd doubt they put ac's on sale right at the start of the cooling system, right when people are finding out the one they had is broken.

Cool. (hahaha.) Makes sense. Thanks, all i know is some have rebates right now, but I have to get a HVAC to my house in person to find out what models and how much the rebates are. Hard to comparison shop when you have to have a two+ hour window for an HVAC guy to visit your house, times 3 different companies.

The guy who they sell your old unit parts as new replacement parts on their next job is the one getting screwed. I think they make a lot of money scavenging parts out of units they replace when they can get away with it. That's also part of the "cheap fix"..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

This is one of the topics that annoys me so much. Brother's A/C broke down. Had like three different HVAC repairmen look at it. All said he needed a full replacement. He wasn't buying it, so checked it out for himself. Saw an obviously blown capacitor. Was a few bucks for the part and it ran strong for years after the easy swap.

A/C "repair" is one of the scammiest businesses out there IMO. Seems they almost always say you need an entirely new system. I mean, sure. Sometimes the state of a unit can warrant a replacement but man they are bad about going straight for the big sell.