Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Did you ever get to meet another good friend of ours "the feelheelvegan"?
    You and her would get on mega with that photo
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

I always thought home made ice cream was like home made rocker on skis. A lot of work for about 40% of the goods you can buy. Maybe it's because all the home made ice cream I have ever eaten had chunks of ice and salt mixed in. I have at least 15 different ice cream shops within walking distance from my front door so I ain't cranking shit for icey ,lumpy, salty ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I always thought home made ice cream was like home made rocker on skis. A lot of work for about 40% of the goods you can buy. Maybe it's because all the home made ice cream I have ever eaten had chunks of ice and salt mixed in. I have at least 15 different ice cream shops within walking distance from my front door so I ain't cranking shit for icey ,lumpy, salty ice cream.
    !. Salt goes on the ice outside the canister not inside with the mix
    2. Electric ice cream maker

Salt & Straw has salted caramel for like $5 within 2 minutes of my house and I don't have to crank shit. I have a electric ice cream maker that was a gift to my wife in my basement that was used once in the last 5 years.

Time to break that thing out. Once every 5 years or so reminds you how much easier it is to just buy the stuff, makes it taste even better.

I usually make a few batches of chocolate ice cream a year. I use Alton Brown's recipe(if I remember right) it's got egg yolks and you cook on the stove before churning. Everyone thinks it's the best chocolate ice cream they've tried. I'm not taking credit though, I just followed the recipe.

This looks interesting (and easy). From the "Relish" newspaper insert:

Peach Frozen Yogurt with Balsamic and Brown Sugar

YIELD 8 servings
    A healthier alternative to ice cream, this gourmet treat has a Greek yogurt base.

Ingredients

5 peaches, peeled
    1 1/2 cups raw or brown sugar
    1-2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 quart full-fat plain Greek yogurt
    Instructions

Cut peaches into bite-sized chunks. Place in a glass or stainless bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Combine Greek yogurt with peach mixture in a large bowl. Mix well. Pour into ice cream freezer and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Eat immediately or within an hour or so for soft serve. Makes about 6 cups

ice cream was a big success.... I have not been able up upload pics though.... keeps locking up.

blackberries and raspberries was the choice. Followed recipe very close to KQ post. Worked out great, the key is the cooking of the mix, get the temp right or will go bad on you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	038.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	156644  

^^^ not sure what happened to post but here are pics...

egg yokes and sugar, wisk in the warm milk/heavy cream....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	037.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	156645

I used a temp prob to hit 180 deg and pull off heat right away. chilled right away by putting into the ice cream maker with ice and rock salt to cool and start churning.

Name:	035.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	156647

ready for churning, dumped the juice from berries into the mix at this time.

Name:	036.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	156646

after churning for couple hours you could hear the mixer start to slow down, dumped in the berries at this time and ran it for about 5 mins. Started to get a nice mix and increase in volume. Pulled from mixer and put into the freezer for 4 hours.

and the finished product....

Name:	042.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	734.4 KB 
ID:	156648

Name:	043.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	156649

IT WAS DAM GOOD!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    IT WAS DAM GOOD!!!!!!
    Wow, that does look fantastic! You know.... CI recipes can be drawn out and after a while of following them you learn you can skip some steps but by and large when they make something they make it right. I've often said, I might night like the finished product but it isn't because it was done wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post

Name:	035.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	156647
    Is that a White Mountain freezer? My parents had one when I was growing up, and we bought my dad a replacement a few years back. I'm trying to decide if I can justify dropping the cash for one, considering I'll only use it 2x/year or so. We never got the electric motor, so it was always hand-cranked.

^^^ this is the one....
    http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-Elec...N5562AK8XXDZAQ

They make cheaper in plastic bucket... guess they are all the same. Originally bought it about 6 years ago with grand plans of making ice cream all summer for the family. Kids are never around much anymore so this last batch was for just a bunch of drunks sitting on porch watching fireworks.