For my first... Automatics not automatic... size does matter

Ive spent a decent amount of time on here but never joined.... so here i am, first post:
    I'm a 29yo 5'8" 160lb dude and am getting a pair of Automic Automatics. whats not automatic is the length I should get. I've been a longtime PSIA cetrtified ski instructor that enjoys spending most of my time hiking and touring to rip some steep and deep rather than teaching, but I do spend a great deal of time on sticks. Anyways, in a time of skiing bigger and bigger skis, I think I've made up my mind and will be staying shorter (179 v 186) when it comes to these Automatics. I've been skiing the 2011 obsetheds (117waist @ 179) for a few years now and theyve always felt soft and left me wanting more. So Ive decided on the automatics and now have to choose whether to stay at 179 but have a stiffer more agressive ski than before, or just dive in headfirst and and go up in size and stiffness with the 186.

The main thing is, I'm not worried about float or stability with the 179, and i dont think the 186 would be too much for me to handle, but Skiing WY and ID, (even with the amazing snow year) It's the techy, steep, narrow ass chutes that might not have the greatest snow in the world, that I need to take into account. Im sure ill be able to go plenty fast and float plenty high on the 179's, but when i get into some sketchy couloir deep in the park I want to be as mobile as possible and a big stiff ski on little ol me is something that crosses my mind. as a lighter skier for a dude, I think the 179 will be the best fit..... but as a ski nerd its always nice to get to get out there and see what others think (and hearing my room mate and ski buddy constantly telling me to 'go big or go home' and 'ski to kill' is not what i mean)

cheers

Here's a tip: don't get drunk and post.

Another tip: naked pics of your girlfriend are the best barter for good advice.

haha, cheers! I should have known better than to think that ski forums would somehow be different than any of the others, full of trolls who have not much better to do than search the tech section with a chip on their shoulders. either way, im sure yall have had a great morning and are getting quite the laugh out of this... you must be so proud. ps. i promised your mom no more of her naked pics in posts, and I am a man of my word.... youll have to PM me for those

If you're worried about how 2 inches of length on a pair of skis will affect your skiing, you have bigger issues.

1) if you don't know that nekkid pics are required in your first post, you clearly have not spent "a decent amount of time here."

2) don't be a pussy

9mm is the current trend in automatics around here.

Just don't drop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This is TGR. Go bigger or go home. And ya, nekkid pics are much appreciated by the minions.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by pckt5 View Post
    Ive spent a decent amount of time on here but never joined....
    cheers
    No you haven't, or you would not have been such a whiny dick in your second post.

If you want to know what other think, try reading any of the thousands of posts here on the subject.

But, since you asked so nicely, forget about the automatics and just get rax skis.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Automatics aren't that stiff and they are easy to ski. Go longer, 186.
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

they've always felt soft and left me wanting more.

go up in size and stiffness.

would be too much for me to handle

narrow ass

big stiff

hearing my room mate and ski buddy constantly telling me to 'go big or go home'
    Son, I'm not sure what sort of forum you think this is, but that sort talk around here is going to get you into trouble.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Does a K2 179 still = a 183 or more?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I've been a longtime PSIA cetrtified ski instructor
    Are you level I, II, III, IV, V, VI, or higher?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

i definitely have issues and am constantly getting into trouble..... so thanks for the heads up and ill work on not bein such a pussy. but this place seems fun, maybe ill stick around. anyone know where to find good burrito?

anyone know where to find good burrito?
    Sure. You got change for a nickel?

buy a stiffer ski

if you have to ask ... you will be happier going short
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sent you a pm about autos I'm selling.

anyone know where to find good burrito?
    http://www.epicski.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

I would have had some solid advice for you. But then I read your second post.

Ask your ski shop.

Man the fuck up and buy the 193's.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters