Hiking near Los Angelos

I am currently hanging out with a cousin who is checking out LA for a prospective college. Tomorrow we have a free day and were looking to go hiking. I had originally wanted to go check out the Mojave as the drive in has me itching to explore but a three hour drive each way is probably a deal breaker. Looking to do a shorter hike, 4 or 5 miles is what I had in mind, looking for something that gives good bang for buck in terms of feeling like you got out and exercised, didn't see every damn hipster in LA, and has an awesome view at the end. I had been leaning towards something that at least looks like its in the desert as I get as many trees as I need in bozeman and back east, but I'm all ears.

Go for a hike around Pepperdine. Don't be afraid to eat at their cafe. Best college cafe I can imagine. Then save an appetite for the best breakfast burrito you've ever had and cruise over to Lily's Cafe on PCH. Enjoy all the scenery.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

What general are are you hanging, ghosthop? Plenty of trails in the Santa Monica Mtns., if you're staying in or near the Westside. Look up Will Rogers St. Park. If yo cuz's visiting Pepperdine, then the above advice is solid- fact, keep heading north on PCH, almost to Oxnard. La Jolla Cyn. and that other one next to it offer great hiking and lovely ocean views.

Heading east, there's the San Gabriel Mtns- lots of opportunities there. Is Cuz applying to either CalTech or one of the Claremont Colleges? Climb Mt. Baldy (Mt. San Gorgonio).

If you're gonna visit Univ. of Redlands, check Mt. San Jacinto.

Los Angeles, Mexico is a pretty big place. Let us know where you generally are/will be, and we may be able offer some some suitable hikes.

EDIT: Baldy = Mt. San Antonio. Gorgonio is a bit further east.
    Last edited by Viva; 06-23-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Why wouldn't you got to the beach?

Several good hikes in the area. If you are near Pasadena/Sierra Madre/Arcadia there are hikes up Mt Wilson. If it is a clear day the views are spectacular. Each has a good trail head. If more toward Clairmont, the hike up Mt Baldy to 10,000ft is cold. Start at Manger Flats and go past the Ski Mountaineer's hut, or start at the ski area (sometimes you can use the lifts) and hike across the devils backbone.

If in the Santa Monica Mts area there are several good hikes with coastal views. I like the hikes at Pt Magu State Park.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot