Proper ski boot fit has affected my preference in street shoes...

Ever since appreciating a "race-fit" (and Fischer Vacuum, for me) in ski boots, it has caused me to size down my street, dress, and golf shoes by an entire size.

When trying on shoes, if they are not extremely tight, they don't feel good or "right." Man, I need a shoe-horn to sqeeze into my dress shoes for work.

It used to be different before I appreciated the proper fit of a ski boot.

[importantsummerthread]

Exactly, how it should be. One of the biggest pains in the ass is people coming in, doing a shell fit on them and it's 3 sizes or more smaller than their street shoe size (race kids are notorious for this).
    Then having to "sell them" on how boots (or any high preformance footwear) are supposed to work.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Are work shoes now" high performance footwear" where edge control and zero heel lift is a factor?How about calf high support with a booster strap?
    Personally I prefer clogs
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Exactly, how it should be. One of the biggest pains in the ass is people coming in, doing a shell fit on them and it's 3 sizes or more smaller than their street shoe size (race kids are notorious for this).
    Then having to "sell them" on how boots (or any high preformance footwear) are supposed to work.

Just give them the red boots. its ALWAYS the right answer...

loafers 234
    watch out for snakes

I've done the opposite. I now wear all my street shoes loose so as not to exacerbate any bunions or sixth toes that May effect the fit of my boots next winter.

I ski in a 25 (size 7) regular shoes are 9.5 and my running shoes are all 10.5. No way would I cram my foot in a smaller shoe for running I lost more toe nails from 9.5 running shoes than ski boots.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Completely agree. My toes ever so gently graze the end of both my Five Ten bike shoes and my running shoes. Drives me nuts if there is any space.

I still use the same size 24/ 7/39 but I know pretty quick if a shoe was designed with my foot in mind
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Happiness is loose shoes and tight . . . ski boots.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Happiness is loose shoes and tight . . . ski boots.
    Dress shoes should be snug. Running shoes!? How do you keep your toenails?

Sent from my VS980 4G using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    How do you keep your toenails?

Sent from my VS980 4G using TGR Forums
    In an urn on the mantel.

flexing through the arch? let 'em spread.

stabilized foot? pack it in tight.

I guess rock climbing shoes and soccer boots are the only exception here.

Dang; you guys run? I bike, ellipse, stair-master, and wave-machine it. But no running...

Running shoes are definitely supposed to be a bit bigger to allow the foot to expand. But, I too have sized down in some shoes after being used to ski boots. I was tempted to size down quite a bit on some loafers I got recently, but decided not to go too small (good choice). Soccer shoes I recently got at least two sizes smaller than I would normally wear. I have arch support in just about everything now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

I've been in a 25.5 shell for as long as I can remember, and probably have only .5-.25 inch space on a shell fit, but have recently gone from a 8.5 hiking boot to a 9 after losing both big toenails on a 14'er hike last Summer. Road and Mtn bike shoes are both 41.5 and have been for at least as long as I've been in a 25.5 ski boot. I don't run anymore, but if I did, I'd probably go to a size 9 there too. OTOH if I still played ultimate, I'd probably still go for 8.5 cleats.

Different activities require different fit IME.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Not only have I gone down two full sizes in my penny loafers (and straight rippin' with precision between the copier and my boss' office), I've also gone UP three full sizes in my business suit. With a 2XL sports coat I get a lot better mobility in my mobilephoning, and I don't have to worry about gaper gap around my wrists when I type or reach out shake a hand.

You really can't afford to have slop in your penny loafers in a no fall zone like say the mall or something...

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    You really can't afford to have slop in your penny loafers in a no fall zone like say the third floor men's room or something...
    Fixed it

^fer realz. Don't want to toss a shoe when you're taking a poo!

Have gone down from a 10 to 11 shoe and 28 to a 26.5/27 in ski boots as experience skiing has piled up. Can't stand a loose toe box/foot area in ski boots anymore, especially after realizing intuition liners let you have a super tight fit and still be comfortable. But yeah, used to even get a 12 in street shoes in middle school and have since jumped down two sizes
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Yup. 11.5 shoe / size 27 krypton. Like shoes snug and flip flops loose. :-)
    That Don't Make No Sense

Paging Old Larry for sage advice.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My Nike Lunaralon Golf shoes are two sizes too small. It is painful sometimes, but I just wish it had canting.