Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Just burned through Michael Pollan’s new book How To Change Your Mind, all about psychedelics - the history, research, cultural stigmas, benefits, etc. I found it fascinating and loved it, but I guess I was already on that bus ;-)

Recently polished off Anthony Bourdain's GONE BAMBOO. If you dig Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiassen, then you will probably dig this. A tad heavy on the food/beverage name-dropping, but a quick and furiously paced gangster yarn.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Sorry about my previous attempts, that was obviously the wrong tack. Let me try this. If you were an author trying to reach skiers/boarders/slednecks to inform them about a book, what marketing or promotion actions would you try? I'd like to hang promo posters at ski shops, and I plan on making stickers that I could distribute to friends around the country and have them put them on chair lifts this season.

and I'll just put it up free @ https://www.inkitt.com/stories/adven...9842?version=1
    please don't hate me, I'm just trying

Just finished up Let My People Go Surfing by Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia. Super breezy, sometimes reads like a Patagonia ad, but a worthy companion as audiobook. I feel no dumber having read it.

In Search for Captain Zero
    A Short Ride in the Jungle
    Kook
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

The President Is Missing, it’s like reading Homeland. Page turner

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1533526686.561859.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	243395
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Just finished Ready Player One, took me all of 3 days to read it. Great read (not great literature), especially if you grew up in 80s pop culture. Heard the movie wasn't so great, but I suppose I'll check it out sometime.

Not sure what to read next. I have The Bone People in hand, lots of people have recommended it to me over the years, we'll see if I can get into it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Just finished Ready Player One, took me all of 3 days to read it. Great read (not great literature), especially if you grew up in 80s pop culture. Heard the movie wasn't so great, but I suppose I'll check it out sometime.
    The movie was pretty disappointing, they changed so much from the book. I had to stop halfway through.

I finished Skeletons of the Zaraha the other day. amazing story of a shipping crew that gets stranded in the Morocco desert.

Not sure what to read next. I have The Bone People in hand, lots of people have recommended it to me over the years, we'll see if I can get into it.
    This is next on my list. I have been reading The Sellout, which came recommended by a few people. Really good so far.

Moby Dick.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

For the first 30-minutes of the movie I was pissed off at how much it deviated from the novel, but then I took a deep breath and resigned myself to the ride. Sure, the book is ultimately better, but the movie is its own beast. Ernest Cline wrote the screenplay, which felt like it included stuff he may have originally wanted in the book, but edited out. I view the movie as being a compendium to the novel.

Have you read The Girl With All The Gifts?
    Good post-apocalyptic tale.
    The film, of which the screenplay was written by the novel's author simultaneously, is pretty solid, too...

been kept up late lately reading Empire of Shadows by George Black- about the Western exploration and with focus around Yellowstone
    I've read a bunch of the other western explorations, Lewis & Clark, Astorians etc but am enjoying the story telling and info about the regional tribes etc that I had not read prior

also if you like Kurlanskys he came out with another one about "Milk" this time. just as good as the others if you are into that sort of stuff
    skid luxury

^^^ You might like Gale Ontko’s masterpiece, “Thunder Over the Ochoco”, a five-volume history of Oregon that took him 40 years to write. If you like history, specifically western American or Native American, this is a must read. A+

Ernest Cline's other book Armada is pretty good too, basically more video games and 80's culture, just a different take

if you're into anthropomorphic adventures (or if you just dig a good old-fashioned Western yarn about loyalty, friendship, and good vs. evil), then Albert of Adelaide is a solid story.

Name:  13486177.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  35.5 KB

It's like a cross between Rango and The Lord of the Flies, but with a platypus as the lead character. Shades of Wind in the Willows and Watership Down, too.
    Stradles the line between young adult fiction and adult fiction, touching upon racism and classism and friendship/loyalty, but delivered as a quest-meets-western adventure, albeit with animals (mostly marsupials, but a few rodents, mammals, and asundry other species tossed in for good measure).

^^^

read it a couple summers back, enjoyed it. the author has one of those wild book jacket bios you don't know how much is bullshit " He flew with a helicopter battalion in Vietnam, worked on fishing boats in Alaska, in the steel mills of Pittsburgh, as a truck driver in Houston, and a scriptwriter in Hollywood, and, after gaining a law degree, became legal counsel for the New Mexico Organized Crime Commission. He is currently a defense attorney in New Mexico, where he defends Mexican nationals charged with crimes north of the border."

If you liked " Trainspotting " check out " Dead Men's Trousers " wickedly funny

its the same crew from Trainspotting, written in that same scots dialect as Trainspotting

Sickboy, Rents, Spud, Begbie the boys are older but still pretty fucked up
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know