Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Read the martian or emerald mile, two great recommendations from this thread
    Agreed. Both were excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    excellent.
    And movie cast looks good on paper at least -

Matt Damon as Mark Watney
    Jessica Chastain as Melissa Lewis
    Michael Peña as Major Rick Martinez
    Kristen Wiig as Annie Montrose
    Jeff Daniels as Teddy Sanders
    Donald Glover as Rich Purnell
    Kate Mara as Beth Johanssen
    Aksel Hennie as Alex Vogel
    Sean Bean as Mitch Henderson
    Chiwetel Ejiofor as Venkat Kapoor
    Sebastian Stan as Dr. Chris Beck
    Mackenzie Davis as Mindy Park
    Naomi Scott as Ryoko
    Lili Bordán as Blair
    Nick Mohammed as Tim Grimes
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

anybody got any more recent recs, that haven't been mentioned yet?

Read Emerald Mile and Empire of the Summer moon on recs from here and loved both.
    Cadillac Desert is a recent read I highly recommend. It was written in the late 80's or early 90's I think- but it's a super interesting history of water in the West, dams etc.
    Other recent reads I recommend are Astoria by Peter Stark- about one of the first settlements on the West coast -and also in the similar genre- The Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides about some of the first polar exploration
    A Spy Among Friends was a recent release that I also liked- a true story about a MI6 double agent for the KGB during WWII and the cold war. good stuff

You beat me to The Kingdom of Ice, what a great read. Holy shit those guys were studs!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

agree about Kingdom- they have a strength I don't know that I could ever muster. I was actually a bit apprehensive going into the read bc of the subtitle : the Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage......sometimes the incredible suffering isn't always what I feel like reading before bed - but it was great. glad you enjoyed too. Try Astoria too if you haven't read yet. It's really fun to read about their passages through our regions- the Tetons/ Salt Lake zone

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    agree about Kingdom- they have a strength I don't know that I could ever muster. I was actually a bit apprehensive going into the read bc of the subtitle : the Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage......sometimes the incredible suffering isn't always what I feel like reading before bed - but it was great. glad you enjoyed too. Try Astoria too if you haven't read yet. It's really fun to read about their passages through our regions- the Tetons/ Salt Lake zone
    Downloaded it tonight thanks for the heads up I am digging it so far.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Fun little page turner. Movie is on the way. Which is how it kind of read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Matt Damon can't wreck two space movies in a row -
    Great fking cast
    Last edited by NoPostholio; 06-08-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Read about 6 great books in a row off this thread - along the lines of station eleven and the martian, I just finished wool and imo was as good as them both - as long as you dig the post apocalypse stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-Howey/dp/1476733953
    Last edited by NoPostholio; 07-01-2015 at 07:38 PM.

I read "Solo Faces" last summer and really enjoyed it. Not sure if I got that recommendation here or elsewhere.

Another that I haven't seen in this thread, I liked "Under Tower Peak"... at least, until the end. Sort of an abrupt ending, but it was a nice, easy summer read (as I recall I read it exclusively on planes on a few trips).

I found it through a service called "bookbub" which is pretty rad, as they give daily updated listings of discounted/free ebooks through Amazon. You can set preferences to ensure that you're getting the stuff you're interested in, but my backlog of books has gotten HUGE, because I'm being presented with stuff that I will enjoy, but would never find otherwise.

You can check it out here: https://www.bookbub.com/home/

Lonesome Dove>Streets of Laredo
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I mentioned the "Inside The Dream Hotel" about the Hotel Chelsea in NYC which exposes what a cultural crossroads it was for writers, musicians and artists. A surprisingly interesting read.

"Astoria" by Peter Stark details the planning and execution of the first American settlement on the West coast covering both the seagoing and the overland groups and their contrasting leaders as well as the old pull/push between the financiers who risk their money and the doers who risk their lives. Equal to and maybe even surpassing "Undaunted Courage" in it's historical significance since a brave and somewhat foolish variation from the Lewis and Clark route ended up being the Oregon Trail. Insights and comments by the author are well wrought and lend much to the book, putting it above the "Undaunted" imo.

"The Boy Who Dared" by Bartoletti, the story of a goyem kid who poked fun and questioned the Nazis evolving into am audacious proponent of free thinking and dissemination of truth in the face of the jackbooted gestapo polizai. Terrifying.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If you haven't read "The God of Skiing" yet, it's probably a good time.

Reviews: http://www.earnyourturns.com/30881/r...god-of-skiing/
    http://backcountrymagazine.com/stori...ys-god-skiing/

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/God-Skiing-Pet...dp/0692028331/

Full disclosure, the author's a friend...but it's still the best skiing book you'll ever read.

I just finished "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" and thought it was great. I'm sure most of you have seen the movie, but who has actually read the book? It's a quick read.

Now try Sometimes a Great Notion.

Definitely dug the Emerald Mile too, though was sometimes a bit much on the landscape history stuff. I loved the way he described the main characters personalities though.

I'm not usually a fiction guy but I think I'm going to checkout The Martian based on the input here.

Thanks for recommending - what an awesome book.

Seabiscuit - can't believe how riveting a book it was for a first time author.
    I read Seabiscuit over two years ago and still can't get over how great a book it is. Kind of out of this world.

All the Light We Cannot See | Book by Anthony Doerr ...

get on the waiting list at your local library you wont be disappointed

Barbarian Days - William Finnegan.

Read about 6 great books in a row off this thread - along the lines of station eleven and the martian, I just finished wool and imo was as good as them both - as long as you dig the post apocalypse stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-Howey/dp/1476733953
    Make that seven in a row with "seveneves" - WOW - moon blows up in first sentence.

http://www.amazon.com/Seveneves-A-No.../dp/1501220233

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Definitely dug the Emerald Mile too, though was sometimes a bit much on the landscape history stuff. I loved the way he described the main characters personalities though.

I'm not usually a fiction guy but I think I'm going to checkout The Martian based on the input here.

I read Seabiscuit over two years ago and still can't get over how great a book it is. Kind of out of this world.
    Welp, 15 days later I'm done with "The Martian." Great rec, thanks guys. BTW, "Endurance" about Ernest Shackleton's Antarctica expedition is another good one.

Now to find my next book...

Oh, if you have any experience/ with team sports, "Boys in the Boat" is amazing. I think I mentioned it in the other thread but it's worth repeating.

"We die alone"

Just re-read it; what a story.

Carl Hiaasen's books are great summer reading material. Super quick reading that involves a good mix of humor, violence, drugs and sex. The books plots are mostly centered around the ecological destruction of Florida and the rampant corruption that comes along with it. Haven't read one that I didn't like...

My mom's been talking up the Longmire series by Craig Johnson, but I haven't read one yet.