Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: I hate camping

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Several of my hiking/climbing/ski touring buds are Eagle Scouts and/or NOLS grads, and all of them are very good campers. I'm self-taught. There are several ways to develop camping chops.

No doubt. Never claimed my way was better. I have heard the opposite on here before though. Scouts wasn't for everybody. I get it. I had no one else in my family that liked to camp or do anything outdoorsy, so it was great for me.

2 weeks outside was plenty for me. That is 2 weeks and probably as many showers. 7 months plus is impressive. What was the shower ratio on that one?

Longest single run without a shower was 42 days. Tried not to go over 14 when I could help it.

I'm a sucker for running water now, after living 6 years without. Doesn't mean I won't spike on a fire assignment for the full 14 still.
    Living vicariously through myself.

I once car camped in Philmont on accident. 2 years ago my brother in law and I were trying to cross over the portion of New Mexico through the night on dirt roads to get to a fly fishing stream. Well, we come to a gate with no sign on it that seems to be the right direction and decide we'll open it and keep driving through - what the hell it's 3am. After driving another 5 miles or so we come to another gate, but this one is locked even though it says it's national forest. Deciding we were too tired to keep going for the night we drove back a mile or two and threw our sleeping bags / mats out and passed out till daylight. I blasted awake the next morning in a fog but hearing voices. I groggily stood up, sleeping bag still on, and realize we're surrounded by what had to be 500 boy scouts of all ages - packs cinched around their brown costumes, bandanas neatly tied around their heads, with the beer gutted leaders all staring at us like we've just shit on their mother. So what else to do but light up a cigarette, turn on some tunes and drive out like you own the place.

Quote Originally Posted by bigAK View Post
    I feel very fortunate to have grown up getting dropped off by planes ..
    I got dumped in the Boundary Waters/Quetico/Rainy Lake area by my parents every summer for 2 weeks at age 12.
    Cold mosquitos wet lost times. Lots of Northerns and Walleyes.
    Hated it at the time. Now it's some memories.

Whiskey/bourbon has an excellent weight:drunk ratio...
    acid beats it.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Longest single run without a shower was 42 days. Tried not to go over 14 when I could help it.
    Color me impressed. My record is 26 days.

Whiskey/bourbon has an excellent weight:drunk ratio...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    acid beats it.
    Heh.

What's the big deal about showers? Dunno my longest stretch without a shower. I think we had one or two showers in the 36 days it took us to bicycle from Missoula to Anchorage 33 years ago.

Plenty o' fresh clean water in our mountains to keep the crotch, hands, face and feet clean and to brush your teeth. Doesn't matter if your other body parts stay dirty. Indeed, after everyone in the party gets a good layer of dirt they stop smellin'.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I

Car camping

When I was growing up car camping meant sitting in a tavern parking lot eating cheeto's and drinking orange pop while the old man and his buds
    got hammered inside. Sometime the trip from Duluth to International Falls would take 9 hours. I knew the name of every tavern in between.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    That's because they are out climbing Denali. And BTW - Lacrosse is a sport that was invented by and played by Native Americans. Plenty of ppl of color play the sport. In Historic First, Native American Brothers Win Lacrosse Trophy

First All-African American Team Climbs Denali
    One of the people who was part of this was my NOLS instructor down in Chile. He has spent something like 650+ weeks in the backcountry stuffing his sleeping bag every morning. Guy is seriously badass and has just enough crazy in him to keep doing it.

I love backpacking but there is always a reason to pack a bunch of booze and friends in a car, set up somewhere, light a fire and have a little fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    acid beats it.
    amen brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    What's the big deal about showers?
    Sort of depends on how hard you're working and how dirty the environment is. My long stretches involved fighting wildfire - major grunge.

I need to go camping soon.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

camping Alberta style...

Didn't read anything but you must have never been camping in a coo place, Do you camp in the white trash campgrounds where you might as well he in a trailerpark? Or did you bother getting way out there. Try canoe camping. My favorite.

another gem

watch out for snakes

What are these things call showers that you speak of?

Or as Ed Abbey put it..."I can't remember the last time I had a bath, so I don't know if I need one or not."

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Haven't read this whole thread, but I must sure be a wierdo. If its warm out, theres clean water to drink/ swim in, and beautiful places to park without too many other folks around, and no one telling you where you can or can't park, I'd rather camp out of my car than sleep inside most of the time. I go visit friends in places sometimes and hang out with them and maybe use their kitchen or shower but I'd usually rather wake up somewhere beautiful and rub the sleep from my eyes while watching the sun come up than wake up on their couch.

As for showers I think I've gone like two months as a kid but that was in the summer on the shore of a lake in texas, swimming for hours every day.

Way worse than that was the 34 days without one backpacking in AK, rained for 9 days without stoppping, we were soaked for long periods but never even got a chance to get naked and air things out for the entire trip. We were asked to leave the denali lodge when we got back and called our ride due to our odoriferous nature. Serious funk.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Haven't read this whole thread, but I must sure be a wierdo. If its warm out, theres clean water to drink/ swim in, and beautiful places to park without too many other folks around, and no one telling you where you can or can't park, I'd rather camp out of my car than sleep inside most of the time. I go visit friends in places sometimes and hang out with them and maybe use their kitchen or shower but I'd usually rather wake up somewhere beautiful and rub the sleep from my eyes while watching the sun come up than wake up on their couch.

As for showers I think I've gone like two months as a kid but that was in the summer on the shore of a lake in texas, swimming for hours every day.

Way worse than that was the 34 days without one backpacking in AK, rained for 9 days without stoppping, we were soaked for long periods but never even got a chance to get naked and air things out for the entire trip. We were asked to leave the denali lodge when we got back and called our ride due to our odoriferous nature. Serious funk.
    You didn't have to preface it explaining you didn't read the thread. If you had, you would have known that what you just described is not considered camping by the TGR campologists, so you should just keep your trap shut; because you don't know shit; and are a bad human being; with no soul; and you're not a man; sleeping on an air mattress.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You should give it more time. You'll emerge from the woods with a full, healthy beard, a lean little women with dreadlocks at your side, and you'll be an expert at hacky sack. And probably 15 pounds lighter, because you starved for days at a time.
    You started off well, but then turned into a fucking gay hipster.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	681-686Xn.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	348.7 KB 
ID:	156291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0198_Panoramashrp.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	156292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pano _7_.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	156293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6130098_Panorama2.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	156294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6130130ac.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	156295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020981_Panoramacrp.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	156296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020971_Panorama.jpg 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	156297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8250457_Panorama.jpg 
Size:	339.1 KB 
ID:	156298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sahale Pano P1000967-68_7.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	340.6 KB 
ID:	156299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000690.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	444.3 KB 
ID:	156300
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^ nice
    they don't call em sumlesses
    just sayin the word makes me smile
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Context makes a difference. Also, kids can make things more fun. I don't have anything against car camping. It's great when your site is a place to retire to after a day of riding or whatever. Otherwise, we don't typically get into the community aspect, and the kids get bored.

We've had better times on multi-day river trips and backpacking trips where camping is the only option. Things can get difficult, and conditions can work against you, but it's hard to be a grump when the kids are having a blast.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    ....so i wonder if timbr is going to re-figure out camping or move on to glamping.
    I'm taking the summer off to re-assess my approach both mentally and equipment-wise. I appreciate the advice and nice camping pictures you guys posted.

Glamping looks nice, but a few people told me I don't possess the financial means for glamping. So unfortunately glamping is out, unless something changes financially.

Another suggested signing up for tough mudders. All the cool people are doing them apparently. I realize it's not camping, but supposedly you get dirty and drink beer afterwards, and bugs don't bother you because you're covered in mud. There's something primeval about it that intrigues me.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Glamping looks nice, but a few people told me I don't possess the financial means for glamping. So unfortunately glamping is out, unless something changes financially.

Who needs glamping? You could easily pitch a tent in seconds with her.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 06-19-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Who needs glamping? You could easily pitch a tent in seconds with her.
    She looks like she could kill and dismember a moose.