Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: I hate camping

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I camp when I'm on my way to somewhere - camping's never the objective, it's the means.

I must be old - I recoil at the idea of camping at a music fest.

When I'd get back from weeks on fires in Alaska, my (ex)wife would want to go camping.
    I met my wife in fire training, she knows what a fire camp is like. Fortunately, she no longer has any interest in fire camp or any other camping.

And I'm in your camp regarding the music fests, not only does camping at one cause me to recoil, even attending one is out.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    New England
    You answered your own question here.

I was gassing up the other day when I noticed a volvo from Georgia with two cedar strip canoes on stacked top and a rocket box. One boat was 19' and the other 15', three people, two guys and a girl. The guy was trying to stuff more shit in the trunk, so I asked if he was heading up to the BWCAW and he said no the Quetico, I asked if he had every been there before and said no, I started laughing. Then I asked if he brought bug dope and he said bugs dont bother him, I laughed again. They are not going to have a good time, if you've ever been there you know what I'm talking about. It would be great to talk to him on his way back South.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, seems to be an excuse for many to sit around in lawn chairs next to the rv/trailer and get super drunk while the kids roam free.
    you say that like it's a bad thing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    And I'm in your camp regarding the music fests, ....
    I see what you did there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	887.5 KB 
ID:	156079

The days of tinkering with my whisperlite and a tent are over.

I see what you did there.
    Can't pull the wool over your eyes. Unless the bugs are too bad, then go for it.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Name:	DSC_0045.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	156080

This is what I consider camping. I loath RV parks and drive in campgrounds
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

just a tent to pass out in more than a camp. at mountain jam (hunter mtn) for years we were in a slopeside condo, and rented the one above the base lodge one year that was inside the festival and behind the stage. Sounds like it would be annoying and loud but it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    And I'm in your camp regarding the music fests, not only does camping at one cause me to recoil, even attending one is out.
    I'm starting to agree on the large shows/festivals in general. Been attending for a long time but getting crotchety and suffering fools less and less. I'll be deleting my account here soon probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post

Name:	DSC_0045.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	156080

This is what I consider camping. I loath RV parks and drive in campgrounds
    Hey, there's always the WalMart parking lot.

My camping rules are as follows:

(1) If I miss more than two showers, its too long
    (2) Rule (1) is negotiable depending upon quality and quantity of booze around
    (3) Daily spend on grounds and booze must be equal to or less than the pro-rated amount I pay on my mortgage
    (4) No kids, otherwise we find a rental house

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    RVs or fifth wheels are not camping.
    It is to 'blowed. So is Camp Hyatt.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I grew up camping. The kind where we hiked in and even the kids carried packs. Our tents were lean-tos made of tarps (this was the 60s/70s). We never car camped - had no idea what it was until I went "camping" with a friend's family and we pulled into a KOA and they said "this is it! We're here! Freakiest thing I'd ever seen - THAT was not my idea of camping.

As I got older I did quite a bit of camping on my own up and down the coast, in Nat'l parks. Sometimes in designated wooded campgrounds but most in the back country (also Sea Kayaking in the San Juans). I enjoyed more trips than not and as I sit here typing I cannot really think of any trips that were so negative as to make me dislike camping.

THAT SAID..... there came a day when I awoke in my tent on the Oregon coast and I knew the time had come. I was too old to sleep on the ground anymore even with the latest and greatest in pads/bags/tents and a bottle of Advil. Haven't camped since that day. Sometimes I miss it but not enough to rough it anymore. Still I'm thankful for all the wonderful memories I have from the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    just a tent to pass out in more than a camp. at mountain jam (hunter mtn) for years we were in a slopeside condo, and rented the one above the base lodge one year that was inside the festival and behind the stage. Sounds like it would be annoying and loud but it was awesome.
    It's just that I like my music the way a lot of people here like their camping - good drinks, comfortable chairs, a decent restroom, dim lighting, and go home to bed

^^^Thankfully that day has not yet arrived for me. While I appreciate a bed, especially after several days on the ground, there are still too many great places to see and experience to restrict myself to what can be seen from a hotel window.

edit: response is to KQ, but I supposed it would apply to music, but I never camped for music, but have at a few car races.

The beauty of camping is all drinks and food taste better the further from the road you go. Restrooms are over rated, and nothing feels better then diving into an alpine like fed by snow after a long day on the trail or climbing.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

See how this works? Just reading this thread and thinking about my camping experiences I'm walking down memory lane...... when I was little Dad used to take me and the brothers to REI (the one and only store at the time). Man did we LOVE going there. We'd run around the place like wild animals - up and down the ramp to tent section and if we were lucky we got to ride the old open freight elevator.

I can still *almost* remember the smell (it was quite unique to the store) and see all the staples smashed into the old wood floors. One of our favorite treats were the freeze dried strawberries that came in those foil packs. They used to display all their freeze dried stuff in half barrels tipped on their sides at an angle. We thought it was a blast to eat the stuff. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ^^^Thankfully that day has not yet arrived for me. While I appreciate a bed, especially after several days on the ground, there are still too many great places to see and experience to restrict myself to what can be seen from a hotel window.
    Hotel yes but there are many many great lodges that allow you to hike and roam with the comfort of a bed (and do not allow any motorized vehicles - often travel to and from the lodges is by foot, helicopter or bus). The most amazing places I've seen for this are in Canada. Lake O Hara in the Yoho Nat'l Forest is incredible as is Mt. Assiniboine

Sigh... makes me want to go there again just looking at those sites.

I like it all. RV/Houseboat camping is great for a week-long trip, roughing it in a tarp/bivy for a night or two way out somewhere, and driving up to a campsite with a big tent, good food and a ton of booze. I like anything that gets me disconnected and under the stars. Who cares if it's "camping" or not? It's better than being on your ass in front of the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    camping=going to a music festival and setting up a camp, while simultaneously having a hotel room within a couple miles. Rage at the festival, pass out in the tent, drive to hotel for shower, change, food, ice, then back to the festival. camping. ( i actually prefer the condo on site, but that isnt always an option) Wife's idea of roughing it is staying at a hotel with no spa.
    Mmmmmhmmmm....
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

My youngest son just got back from the Wakarusa Festival in the Ozarks. It rained everyday and was a mud fest, but he still had a great time.
    http://www.wakarusa.com/
    Oh to be young again.

Last time I camped was on a raft trip in the Grand Canyon and it was great.

I cant think of much I like better than sitting around a fire getting drunk with my friends. Haven't tried camping with the kiddo yet ( 1 yr old) but will this summer in OR.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    My camping rules are as follows:

(1) If I miss more than two showers, its too long
    (2) Rule (1) is negotiable depending upon quality and quantity of booze around
    (3) Daily spend on grounds and booze must be equal to or less than the pro-rated amount I pay on my mortgage
    (4) No kids, otherwise we find a rental house
    But hey, at least when you're camping there's no river of shit flowing under your accommodations, right? (sorry, I had to)

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Hyatt.
    Many Hyatts are like camping these days. Eeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    My youngest son just got back from the Wakarusa Festival in the Ozarks. It rained everyday and was a mud fest, but he still had a great time.
    http://www.wakarusa.com/
    Oh to be young again.
    There's some funny band names at that festival and I haven't heard of any of them save 3 or 4.

I always confuse Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem with Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Houseboat camping
    I have been seriously considering buying a houseboat and living on it. They really aren't that expensive!
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Any time I go camping, I can never sleep. I typically do 1 or 2 days at a time car camping, if I do it at all. So, I've had a lot to drink, I'm sleeping on the hard ground, and I'm used to a Tempurpedic. I'd like to do some actual backpacking, traveling and car camping, etc. Need some equipment.
    Try looking at a weather report, and not going camping if it's supposed to rain that weekend.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I have been seriously considering buying a houseboat and living on it. They really aren't that expensive!
    Only do it if you can connect to shore sewer and water. Portapots on the houseboat start to get ripe pretty fast!