Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Just saw this thread. Reading through now. Welcome to SD!

I guess you're here already. Welcome to town. Not a huge hiker myself, but GF and I had fun a couple weeks ago near Mt. Laguna. The scenery is such a huge change from the city, and we had no idea.

Where'd you end up, Clairemont? Lots of good ethnic restaurants nearby. If so check out O'Brien's in Kearny Mesa - great beer bar and super good/cheap pub food.

We live in OB now after starting in Carlsbad. If you ever want to swing on by to see the hood, or grab a beer, shoot me a PM! I work in North Park so if you're free during the day could always grab lunch.

I definitely ski less now than I did in VT or UT, but surfing more than makes up for it IMO. Steep learning curve, but tons of fun. Great, uncrowded beginner breaks at sunset cliffs during the summer.

North county was great when I worked 4 miles from my house, but now that we're in OB realizing just how little there was to do without worrying about commuting, train schedules back north, etc.

Had a Baldy pass my first winter here and used it once. Last winter had some cheap day tickets that we couldn't use. The answer is save your money and fly to UT for a weekend/long weekend. Quicker than driving to Mammoth, and infinitely better skiing with less crowds. The drive to Mammoth is awesome though the first couple times, and definitely worth heading up there, especially in the fall or spring when you can just camp near the hot springs and hang out.

Moving out Californee way (San Diego !) in July - tips on living, hiking, ski...

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    I guess you're here already. Welcome to town. Not a huge hiker myself, but GF and I had fun a couple weeks ago near Mt. Laguna. The scenery is such a huge change from the city, and we had no idea.

Where'd you end up, Clairemont? Lots of good ethnic restaurants nearby. If so check out O'Brien's in Kearny Mesa - great beer bar and super good/cheap pub food.

We live in OB now after starting in Carlsbad. If you ever want to swing on by to see the hood, or grab a beer, shoot me a PM! I work in North Park so if you're free during the day could always grab lunch.

I definitely ski less now than I did in VT or UT, but surfing more than makes up for it IMO. Steep learning curve, but tons of fun. Great, uncrowded beginner breaks at sunset cliffs during the summer.

North county was great when I worked 4 miles from my house, but now that we're in OB realizing just how little there was to do without worrying about commuting, train schedules back north, etc.

Had a Baldy pass my first winter here and used it once. Last winter had some cheap day tickets that we couldn't use. The answer is save your money and fly to UT for a weekend/long weekend. Quicker than driving to Mammoth, and infinitely better skiing with less crowds. The drive to Mammoth is awesome though the first couple times, and definitely worth heading up there, especially in the fall or spring when you can just camp near the hot springs and hang out.
    Sweet ass, man. I'll hit u up.

I'm by Montgomery field. Super close to clinic and hospital, love my office and gym set up here, rent's not a killer, and I've got outside rocking chair beer patio space! Preciate all the input--will be more good for thought when lease is up!

Real quick: surf bum starter kit with long board and reasonable wetsuit ( I'm used to 80 degrees in wintertime in Gulf of Mexico!) is what... $200? Less? More??

I'm getting the sense that, no matter what, surfing pretty much required. Had a fun mountain bike ride last weekend (brief; mission trails , but still sweet hailing ass down fire road with frequent floaty water bars...) Thoughts on how worthwhile San Diego is as a biking spot? Looking this next month just for flat 4-6-8mi fire roads and up-and-down rolling loops with only 300-500' elevation change. When legs are in shape, different story.

Got a decent ( old) book on SoCal bike trails. Gonna start checking me off here I think. Maybe get a surfboard before it gets too cold!

Anyway, I'll eventually post some scenically from adventures. I freaking LOVE IT here
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

This thread is awesome, I'm so stoked for you Max!!! Moving somewhere new and exploring all the nooks and crannies is such a treat! Looking forward to visiting sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Real quick: surf bum starter kit with long board and reasonable wetsuit ( I'm used to 80 degrees in wintertime in Gulf of Mexico!) is what... $200? Less? More??
    real quick surf bum starter kit: trunks or shorts and a means to get to a bodywhomping beach like windansea or marine street. do what the other kids do with the shorebreak. keep it simple.....

Glad you are headed for greener pastures Max, good luck!
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Welcome, Max.

I just saw this thread. I can make a couple of comments. I've really found it fun to focus on the ocean here. Last summer I hiked and ran a lot at Mission Trails, until I had an encounter with a monster rattlesnake, but I think that's less likely in the winter months. I like to keep my running off hard surfaces and there are miles and miles of grass, sand, and dirt near the ocean, harbor, and Mission Bay and it's cool and beautiful.

Along with running a lot, right now I'm crewing on a racing sailboat. It's exciting, but surfing is also great, if crowded. There's also kayaking, sup, fishing, ocean swimming, skimboard, etc, all fun and active outdoor stuff. And a nice counterpoint to winter/mountain activities because SoCal really doesn't hold a candle to what you are used to in Colorado.

The best place to start surfing is La Jolla Shores, such a hilarious junkshow there. You can rent a board for the day. It's best to start with a 10' soft top and you have to make sure not to get the 8' costco boards they try to give you because you will fail with that one. Every Saturday there is a group that meets up and you can get a free lesson and kook it up in the wash. It's great camradierie, I can introduce you around if you like. They can even loan you a westsuit, or you can rent that too. When you're ready to get your own 9' longboard, then it's time to paddle outside at Tourmaline. There's a couple of big shops that sell used, Pete's and Bird's, but you can also do craigslist to save more, but you better know what you're looking at.

I don't know about the Coronado beer thing. I would def go if somebody got that organized.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Sah-weet. Thank you, Mir!
    -Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Sah-weet. Thank you, Mir!
    Yeah, of course. It's always good to see a homeslice around here. I'm doing my best to persuade Skiberly to live out here, but at least she comes to visit and surf. If you shoot me a PM we can make a surfing plan. This weekend I've got a couple of big races, but the next saturday I was planning to go to La Jolla anyway.

As somebody that grew up on the Gulf Coast I can probably advise you on comfort in the water here - right now a 3/2 shorty is the best thing, although you can probably trunk it for the next few months if you want to be a tough guy. If you do that you will start shivering unless you're really moving. With a 3/2, you can just float around or whatever. You can surf all winter with a full 4/3. So basically it takes 2 different wetsuits to be comfortable in the ocean year round. Like I said I can get you a loaner shorty for the time being.

I looked on the map where you live and oh man it is pretty far inland. I would burn up. It's always nice and cool near the water. But you are a straight shot west to Mission Bay and to Tourmaline. Eventually you'll want to surf Tourmaline all the time, unless you want to be body whompin, Actually I grew up doing that and it def helps getting a sense of the ocean and surf.

You might like to bike around Mission Bay to start getting your legs. As for hikes, the definitive guide is http://www.amazon.com/Afoot-Afield-C...n+diego+hiking San Diego County is freaking huge and that book covers it all. Probably fine to also use it for figuring out some singletrack for your bike.

Last, if you or anybody can get the beer thing to actually happen, I would be impressed. I don't see the San Diego maggots really hanging out like we did so much in Summit.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Look on CL for a used shorty. At least up here they can be had for $30. A worthy investment i you can any use out of it.

Next Saturday could be a go!

I'll holla back.

Sweet part about my place now is my full gym setup has allowed room for my rowing machine. Get these pathetic shoulders in shape for some paddlin'!

Thanks for all the help, y'all. Some good gems of info you got too ya, Mir!
    -Jimi Hendrix

^Not sure which part of SD you're in but some cool mag in gear swap sent me a short suit last year for free and I'd be glad to offer it up. Should be enough rubber to get you through August. I think it's a large but have to double check, let me know

I just took a six month job at Camp Pendelton. I'll be out there Oct 1. Haven't decided to try skiing or just become a surfer. I'll have access to surfing behind the gates will be great. Any comments on Oceanside would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by soylent green View Post
    I just took a six month job at Camp Pendelton. I'll be out there Oct 1. Haven't decided to try skiing or just become a surfer. I'll have access to surfing behind the gates will be great. Any comments on Oceanside would be appreciated.
    Oceanside - full of marines and crazy people, but has a lot of new restaurants, breweries, and bars, and is pretty cool in a gritty kind of way. Consistent surf too. Personally wouldn't live east of the 5 in Oside as it becomes even more full of marines and marine housing, plus you lose the benefit of being on the coast.

I may not have much choice. I'll probably be living in an extended stay hotel(on your tax dollar). I'll be working with marines, so that's not a real problem for me. I figured it would be "gritty" because it's a military town. I really don't know where my contractor will put me. Potentially I could be living on base. I will have a rental car(on your tax dollar). I like exploring new places though.

I may not have much choice. I'll probably be living in an extended stay hotel(on your tax dollar). I'll be working with marines, so that's not a real problem for me. I figured it would be "gritty" because it's a military town. I really don't know where my contractor will put me. Potentially I could be living on base. I will have a rental car(on your tax dollar). I like exploring new places though.
    Speaking as someone else who is paid by other people's tax dollars. WTF rub it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Records View Post
    Speaking as someone else who is paid by other people's tax dollars. WTF rub it in?
    Don't worry, it's good work that needs to be done. Mental Health.

Anybody like to wakeboard? Im always looking for weekend victims...errrr a riders. 21 ft sea ray with tower. Not wake specific but fun as hell.

also, when the snow falls, you can live in San Diego and charge Dana Plateau. Mt.Tom,BigPine Canyon ect. I do the shuffle quite often. I do like carpoolers.

PM if interested

Im in lakeside. Thats where the shitkickers live.

I would be up for some mountain biking too

Pizza Port in Carlsbad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Thanks for the suggestions ya'll. Keep em coming.

Anybody up for some downhilling off the lifts at Baldy on Saturday?

Pretty sure I'm headed up there either way. I'll be on a hardtail for time being and am not the best DHer in the world by any stretch of the imagination, but am looking forward to a relaxing drive, jamming to some tunes, early morning in the mountains, and getting some dirt (and maybe air?) underneath some wheels...

Texas, I water skied a ton in high school and love being behind the boat. Let's catch up sometime.

Hit me up. Three-OH-three, seven-4-EIGHT, four-three-3-seven.
    -Jimi Hendrix

Vagina d'Whale: the unsuck

Some photos from my first 3 mos here. Suffice it to say that coming to SD was by far NOT the worst decision I've ever made... Godsbegood, GoPro will start working for some downhilling.

Around Cuyamaca

Gangster-ass squirrel. Lada-dee-lada-doo, Goulet.

Just up the road from Penny Pines parking lot. Man, if it snowed here....

Sunset around Mission trails is pretty rad. This is a FINE place to take a biostats book. Or erotic novel... Or erotic biostats book.

The ol' balls et chain, near top of Volcan Mountain.

And from the summit... There is a bench up here that is probably the coolest homoerotic epidemiology textbook reading spot/Derek Zoolander pondering spot in the county.

Looking into the desert

I thought this looked like the tree out of Drop Dead Fred. "NO PANTEEEZ!!!!" - Stonewall Peak

Stonewall Peak. Pretty awesome 1/2 day hike. Dreary on our day, but you can see Lake Cuyamaca from the tizzop.

Shredding some dirt, and this little fucker snaked my line. Asshole. (Not the first, nor the second rattlesnake in my bed for 15 years, Old Prospector. [anti-compartment syndrome jinx]About one per month now on my outdoor adventures![/anti-compartment syndrome jinx]) - Careful out there, y'all.

Noble Canyon. Mellow singletrack for days. Maybe a bit geigh for badasses, but I've had silly fun.

Super bad ass hike across the highway from where I got on my bike.

coming down Volcan Mountain. Looking forward to having the legs to bike here...

I wish life was this simple sometimes. But srsly I do kinda feel like this dog around San Diego, tongue a-waggin' in a watercolor world of California beauty!

La Jolla, July 4

See ya out there, folks! (I fucking LOVE this place).
    -Jimi Hendrix

I visit this thread whenever I'm in need of a blast of happiness. Just looked at flights down to San Diego. Way cheaper than I expected! One of these days I'll throw my bike in a box and come visit!

Yo dude, just saw this thread as well. I moved to so-cal a little over 2 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done in my life....I was stuck up in the SF Valley till recently due to work but I'm down in Manhattan Beach now and the livin' is easy........

One thing I'm missing down this way is biking trails, I was really close to some great riding further north and in the Santa Monica mountain range above Malibu. Closest thing to me now is the southern end of it by Will Rodgers (which is very nice when you get up a bit). Haven't made it up to Baldy yet but would love to check it out, what time you think you'll be up that way? FYI gonna be TOASTY this weekend, they saying 90's for beach cities so earlier is probably better....

Sick photos man. I did summer and family camp at Camp Stevens (Episcopal Diocese of LA/SD) on the backside of Julian every year for the better part of a decade. My mom was even camp nurse for a few summer sessions. Volcan was our regular long hike from camp. Great area. Did Scout camp at Lost Valley in that area too.

It does snow in those mountains on occasion--although less so now than even 20 years ago.

Glad to see you're enjoying the area. Sometimes I take this state for granted and I need not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.