Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Still waiting for the DVD to come in the mail. As soon as I get it we can plan a get together. I got the best beer drinking porch in the county. ( Im a stoner though)
    As far as wifi , Mammoth is a modern town....more so than Bishop or Lone Pine. Shouldnt be an issue finding an internet connection......I just dont know about midnight.

Im kicking around the Idea of going up and doing some sliding on shitty man -made snow.....Im in a great need for snow sliding.
    Tried to go back at splitboard.com and find some of my buddies old trip reports. Didnt find His yet, but here is what so-cal can look like on a good year. San Gorgonio is that big peak you see when your at snow summit to the south. Its 11.5K

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11580
    Right on. Have been stoked all day about Mammoth since posting this. Can't believe riding lift chairs is just around the cornah!...

Looks freakin sah-weet here. Gotta get me some skins...
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Here are a couple more. Baden Powell is on the west side of I-15 as you go north through San Bernadino.

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic...it=Los+Angeles

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic...it=Los+Angeles

as you can see there is snow when it comes

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Anybody have any other input on Mount high versus Bear areas? Anybody planning to get a pass at any of these this year?

Super stoked about Mammoth. Just wondering what to do locally if Baldy doesn't pan out that great.
    -Jimi Hendrix

Damn inspiring thread. On a big year, those are some worthy lines. In SOCAL-- > damn.

Not bear but nearby

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1415385402.643201.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	790.3 KB 
ID:	160051
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Anybody planning to get a pass at any of these this year? Super stoked about Mammoth. Just wondering what to do locally if Baldy doesn't pan out that great.
    A Mammoth pass also works at the Big Bear resorts this season. I have only skied MH and BM once each, but it was after storms and not bad. It still want to meet up with 1000 oaks?? and hit Snow Valley someday. I went there once after a storm and it was empty and fun as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Damn inspiring thread. On a big year, those are some worthy lines. In SOCAL-- > damn.
    http://www.sierradescents.com/skiing/

Flip through Andy's Southern California TRs. Snow Creek on San Jacinto is Eastside-sized. That peak is sixth most prominent in the Lower 48 and 32nd in NA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    A Mammoth pass also works at the Big Bear resorts this season. I have only skied MH and BM once each, but it was after storms and not bad. It still want to meet up with 1000 oaks?? and hit Snow Valley someday. I went there once after a storm and it was empty and fun as hell.
    Snow valley looks like has 4pak for $99.

Something to think about...

Bummer about the mammoth only pass for grad students is no bear resorts, unless 400$ more. Correction: $500 more. Trying to figure if it is worth it.

Guiding principle for an alternative to mammoth and baldy is "what to do locally if baldy is no go".... Wonder if just putting down $99 for snow valley 4pak would take care of what I hope are the only 4 times that may happen this year...? Or if baldy sucks, safe bet to say snow valley sucks also due to little snowmaking there??

As far as logistics, how many mega-quick backcountry options are around for SD guys? Are most decent BC days kinda all-day affairs, or can you do something easy on a Saturday morning and get down to SD to still do 8-12 hr of work before midnight??
    -Jimi Hendrix

SV is good for a few days. They run coupon codes and other deals where I ski for under $30
    I usually get 2-3 tune up days and 1-3 legit pow days there. Of course socal is always a crap shoot
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Liftopia has deals on Snow valley all season for under $25.00 usually.
    Summit/ Bear never.
    Mountain High around $35.00
    Mountain High had 4 packs for $77.00 last season at REI for night skiing/good deal and surprisingly fun.
    Mt Waterman is incredible with snow and tickets were $50 last time it was open.
    We have the full Mammoth passes and Baldy season passes also.
    Don't count on Baldy opening. But if it does its the best local resort.

Hey yea I'd be interesting in meeting up. Just purchased a Mammoth pass. Plan on going as much as I can, just the miles on the truck is a concern. Sounds like everyone here is on the same page. I live in Mission Beach, but i'd be down to meet anywhere in San Diego. This weekend would work for me if you guys wanted to meet up for drinks somewhere.

Let me know 856-906-1858
    Brian

Alright! I have the Higher DVD now. You maggots want to meet up and watch? Got this weekend free. We do have a baby at the house so bedtime is early. Maybe something during the day/evening?

Man, I need some snow too

PSA

Mammoth Flight packs on sale

Want To Book Your Trip Now?
    Mammoth Air Packs: 6 or 10 One-way Flights
    [http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs171/...1/img/649.jpg]

The Mammoth Air Packs are back and we've included Las Vegas and a new 'mix and match' feature. It's your choice of either 6 or 10 one-way flights between Mammoth Lakes and your choice of Las Vegas, Los Angeles and San Diego on Alaska Airlines.

Choose from:

* 6 one-way flights for $480
    * 10 one-way flights for $780
    These flights are transferable, which makes them great stocking stuffers. Air packs are on sale now through January 2, 2015 and travel is valid through October 31, 2015. Seats are limited and other restrictions apply.

To buy, call Mammoth Mountain at 1-800-MAMMOTH

I'm down to meet up as well, but out of town for a wedding this weekend. Planning to head to Mammoth and get silly next weekend, unless Baldy is a go?? Looks on their website like only eight days till opening?? I'll be posting up. Have a decent patio for grilling at some point. I'm in Kearny Mesa.
    -Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    PSA
    ...or something.

Seems pretty crazy to consider pulling the trigger on something like that unless someone you trust can recommend it based on first-hand experience. FWIW check the second Letter here...
    http://thesheetnews.com/2013/02/26/l...he-editor-127/

Shifty Is that you?

hey Thanks for the heads up on that. My son-in-law was about to drop coin on those flights. Ill post up the letter you did to the people who sent me the link.

Wonder who to bitch at mammoth or horizon air

I'm making the drive up 395 to Mammoth this afternoon. Maybe I can get 40 laps on Broadway this weekend

OK that's fine, maybe we could all get together sometime during this coming week then.

How is it looking, MTnative? Snow anywhere near decent on groomers? Looks like maybe another couple rumors open up there. Strongly considering heading down next weekend and staying at the trees motel in Bishop for $50 a night friday night and Saturday night.

Finally got a hold of the baldy people, who could not explain the countdown on their website, except maybe that it is countdown until start making snow. Said no way in hell they will be open for skiing this coming weekend.

That said, any interest in sharing a ride to Mammoth from San Diego this coming weekend? Probably will leave between 530 and 730 Friday night, hoping between six and 630. Planning to be back after skiing until about two or so on Sunday.

Curious to hear whether it was at all worthwhile up there this weekend. I will need to ski bad!
    -Jimi Hendrix

When Baldy says they are opening it could be the tubing park they are talking about.
    Baldy is the worst for trying to open .They just don't give a shit about skiers/ boarders.There money is in the tubing park/restaurant business.
    Here is a picture of Mountain High East and West I took last Wednesday. They might start blowing tonight for a midweek 1 run opening. They do care about opening.
    Mammoth should have chair 3 spinning by next weekend so the snow crew says.
    Here is a pic of Mammoth chair 3 area last Friday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1416193436493.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	160446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1416194260201.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	160450  

Looking more and more like I may be heading up this coming weekend. If Im leaving friday night Im let you know wednesday Deep Days. maybe we can carpool. Looking at wednesdays storm and hoping for some more base. I have a brand new venture split I would like to get dailed in but I dont want to get a core shot at the resort.

Anybody snap a pic of Bloody?

Skied Mammoth on Saturday and Sunday. Conditions were not great, but I scratched the itch. Only the Broadway lift was open, so the lift lines got pretty crazy around 1030 or so. Two runs open on Saturday, then a third on Sunday. Heavy snowmaking in progress, looks like they are working on opening Chair 3 and Saddle Bowl.

Also go to watch "Days of my Youth" at Canyon Lodge on Saturday. That was a great flick, I highly recommend it. Add some 395 IPA at the Clocktower and a trip to Wild Willys hot springs, overall it was a great weekend.

Hope you guys have fun. I'll be out of the country for a few weeks, and planning to hit Mammoth again in December.
    Last edited by MT_Native; 11-20-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Any of you party people give some thought to Mammoth this weekend? For what it's worth, the snow phone today says thunder, discovery, and chairs three are slated to open Friday. Apparently snowmaking is going quite well.

Anybody interested in catching a ride, let me know. Sort of raring to go on booking cheap motel in Bishop. May go ahead and do single's room today or tomorrow if no word.

Hope to see some of you kooks up there!

P.S. Any recommendations on where to get a good tune? I have some head monster 103s :firedevil: that I'm trying to bring back into commission that have been sitting in my closet rusting for about three years. Would love to get some heavy weights on my feet and burn my legs in the shade on some groomers.
    Last edited by Deep Days; 11-19-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    -Jimi Hendrix

I have had good luck with Kittridge sports for tunes. Footloose is supposed to be good, but I have know them to screw the pooch on at least one occasion. The Ski Surgeon used be the place form what I have heard, never used them personally, but I know they are no longer in their old location...did they move or just give up?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

i think the recent issue of powder has an article about automated tuning machine that one of the shops in Mammoth uses, although don't recall the name? Try them and let me know what you think...seems like an interesting concept, not that I tune all that often.