Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Nice photo's. Glad you are having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Anybody up for some downhilling off the lifts at Baldy on Saturday?
    Other than the dirt road, I think there is just one really steep loose scree field of a trail that is lift served at Baldy. There was some talk about a short trail up top, but don't recall anyone being impressed. Snow summit has some good trails for lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Nice photo's. Glad you are having fun.

Other than the dirt road, I think there is just one really steep loose scree field of a trail that is lift served at Baldy. There was some talk about a short trail up top, but don't recall anyone being impressed. Snow summit has some good trails for lift served.
    Yea not seeing much at Baldy actually.....Big Bear area looks pretty dope though.

Yowza. 68 tonight, 89 tomorrow?

When does it cool off around this piece?

seems like sept is hotter than aug is hotter than july is hotter than june...? Not what I'm used to down south. Does it turn the corner Oct 1?

alreday down to high of 52 today in Boulder! Guess the turn was more like sept 1 there.

Hmmm... Was hoping to make it a dual mission--check out ski area just to have something to think about at work for next 3 mos and pick up season pass, in addition to some biking. Maybe try out Baldy, and if it sucks, head elsewhere in future? I may take a look at some stuff tonight and call audible this evening, boomer. Will let u know if I'm looking toward a change of plans to snow summit or something.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

September is the hottest month in CA.
    June is overcast
    October is a crap shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by soylent green View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions ya'll. Keep em coming.
    I spent 30 months working in Pendleton.
    Live in Encinitas. Papagayo on Tuesdays all night HH, east village, fish 101, regal seagull....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

When does it cool off around this piece?
    December. Maybe. Really depends on the year.

Incidentally, you moved to SD just before what may be an epic Santa Ana-driven fire season--which is usually September-November.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Pretty rad day. Got up to baldy about 930. Got about 5 runs on the hardtail on the fire road. you guys were right, not much to offer for biking itself.

But just plain silly terrain potential up there. Top skier's left of chair 1 reminds me a ton of chair 2 at Taos. A little lower down reminds me of Peruvian gulch. Some pretty sweet oversized whaleback things skier's right. Bottom of chair 1 with the cliffs reminds me of some parts of Baker. Looks like chair 3 is basically the Birds of Prey or whatever the other fun chair is at Beaver Creek. And a nice medium size "cirque" way off skier's right off of chair 4. I'll take it! (Maybe uncool to post this info??)

Temps not too bad. 106* in Rancho Kooky at about 2pm (91 at 830a!) but about 75 when I arrived and never above 85 biking.

Will probably try Snow Summit for biking next time but lordy I'm pretty stoked to see what happens when it snows at Baldy.

Have some pretty good GoPro footy for those interested in trying out the downhill just for a day of getting your camera dialed in and getting your camera working right. Pretty beautiful up there. Caveat is there is quite a bit of uphill traffic with hiking poles and funny hats, and often strange accents. Be careful opening it up too much, especially cuz some of those guys were very stubborn about yielding, even when I rode slow and asked nicely.

Gotta edit photos and compress footage. Good day, even on a hardtail! And no Goseying. Fingers crossed for the Nino (RIP Mr. Farley).

-Jimi Hendrix

I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Nice man, glad to hear it was a worth while trip for you. I ended up working till almost noon on Saturday and was fucking spent afterwards so ended up a the beach my my house for a few hours of zoning the fuck out......

Got up before 7 on Sunday though and rode 18 miles in the Palisades, up Sulivan Canyon to dirt Mullholand, down Temescal and then the Backbone all the way down to Will Rodgers and home in time to watch some ball. Glad I went early because it was hot as fuck on the way down and that was before 9am....

I'm heading to Yurp for a few weeks but we should def try and roll out in October, should be much cooler if the hills don't catch on fire....

Glad to hear you got a good ride, man. Sounds pretty dope. Saw your pic--looks like some good riding. I'll be tuned in here re: some Oct bike action.

That's an awesome site, LightRanger. Some serious descents (and def ascents!). To think how little idea I had just 3 or 4 mos ago what is around here topographically!

I'm out of town next weekend, but Sept 26-28ish will be itching to do something silly. Guess I'll see what the weather does. Might have half a mind to go explore around LA outside of the San Gabriels? Probably will try to hit up Snow Summit if still open for DH, and maybe another brief day of hike and/or XC ride. Maybe check out Mt. Woodsen? So many options! Just north of I-5--805 junction looks like there are some legit Aspen trees... Wonder if there's a spot with some decent fall colors early Oct?? Wouldn't expect much, but this is a diverse area ( very diverse fern, Tony!)

Post up if anybody's headed out for some adventures.

P.S. No TGR or MSP premiere around here? WTF? Didn't even see one in LA. Sac-town closest premiere? What gives?
    -Jimi Hendrix

Most snow related movies will be shown at LaPaloma Theater in Encinitas. Except for Warren Miller. That will be shown at the LaJolla Art museum.
    You may have to substitute your snow flick needs with surf flicks.

Another fun thing to do is the Mission Beach wavehouse. For 40 bucks you can ride the flowrider standing wave for an hour. Once you have ridden the smaller one you can step up to the Big Wave. That will keep you interested for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Most snow related movies will be shown at LaPaloma Theater in Encinitas. Except for Warren Miller. That will be shown at the LaJolla Art museum.
    You may have to substitute your snow flick needs with surf flicks.

Another fun thing to do is the Mission Beach wavehouse. For 40 bucks you can ride the flowrider standing wave for an hour. Once you have ridden the smaller one you can step up to the Big Wave. That will keep you interested for a while.

I always wanted to get on one of these with my playboat!

Got up to baldy about 930. Got about 5 runs on the hardtail on the fire road. you guys were right, not much to offer for biking itself.
    The good riding is above the lift...

But wouldn't want to try it on a hardtail. I can show or point you to some fun local SD rides sometime if you like.

I will be at the SDMBA Tour de Fat tent this Saturday if anyone want to say hey.

But just plain silly terrain potential up there.
    yes :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    The good riding is above the lift...

But wouldn't want to try it on a hardtail. I can show or point you to some fun local SD rides sometime if you like.

I will be at the SDMBA Tour de Fat tent this Saturday if anyone want to say hey.

yes :-)
    Ha ha. Good point. Was almost going to hang up the lift served biking this coming weekend, but forgot I probably should check out some of the trails above baldy's lifts, if my beater ass can make it work on a Hardtail.

Would love to take a ride locally sometime. Have a few things on the bucket list, but sure could use some more!

Sorry I won't make it Saturday 406. That will be my one shot for some lift served downhill biking. Almost definitely going to Snow Summit to poke around the terrain and try not to kill myself. Holler if anyone is interested in meeting up and/or carpooling from Central San Diego. Would be leaving semi early hoping for nine or 930 start and back in San Diego well before dinner.
    -Jimi Hendrix

SoCal non-Baldy supplemental season pass consult?

Yo. Has been a pretty rad six weeks since posting this last. Got some pretty good biking shots and scenic photos that I am hoping to get a chance to post.

Hoping for some help with comparisons for a decision about acquiring SoCal season pass(es). Have a Baldy pass, and looking at Cali4nia pass versus some combination of Mt. High and Mammoth, versus other local area combos. Money is pretty tight, but all these potential options are viable (even though difficult). Bit of a tough call being so poorly informed and needing regular decent skiing like crack. In other words, "you know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head."

For reference, I got a Baldy pass for local skiing when snow is good, as terrain appears rad in the summer and it was cheap. But I have been told the snow often sucks, with unreliable snowmaking, and should strongly consider getting Mammoth and/or other local pass(es) where snowmaking is better. Worried that with my 70-90-hr/wk research job I won't be able to make it up to Mammoth regularly enough to finish my work and stay sane, and will be skiing more 9a-2p-type days on saturday commutes (more often saturdays only than both days since I work from home anywhere from 5 - 20 hours a week). In other words, long weekends to get to SLC will be inconsistent, unpredictable until about each Thurs or Fri, and relatively scant. Still, probably enough last-minute full weekends off to justify getting some type of mammoth pass, so Cali4nia pass looks appealing for Snow Summit and also Bear Mtn... However, there are some subtle “political”/career reasons to pursue Mt. High, I think, which are actually kinda important.

As a side note, generally, I prefer to do season passes places that are on my radar for regular local-ish skiing rather than just day tix, even when it's questionable about breaking even, cuz it encourages me to work harder/get creative in order to break even, and also is easier from a budgeting standpoint (one-and-done versus constantly wondering if there’s enough money this weekend). Save up for a month, eat a bunch of PB&J, blow your wad, and then no more worrying for the year.

In addition to having Baldy pass, I write this up as somebody in SD hoping for maybe 25-ish SoCal days, probly 2/3 of which will be commuter days. Of note, I’m used to paying $600-800 for season passes total, and have budgeted for this. 2-hr drive doesn’t bother me that much, even for just 5 or 6 hr skiing. Worth it for the exercise and take mind off work, even if no deepness. Need some occasional semi-decent terrain and some bumps to make it super worthwhile, although as I posted earlier in this thread, if I have to settle for just a good variety of non-crowded fun groomers, I have just the skis for that... I know this isn’t CO, but I’m hoping it’s also not Wisconsin. Then again, I'm not the same Gosey from 2003, and any time on a decent hill is good time, even if I'm not actively trying to get in over my head and kill myself c.2003.

The confounding FACTS:
    1. I have never skied at any of these ski areas, but I did bike at Snow Summit and thought the terrain looked at least encouraging, and definitely thought Baldy looked rad when biking there. Surfing is kinda a no-go for me, as learning curve is steep both physically and logistically, and skiing is the most fun thing I have ever done, period. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

2. I am very new in town, and the only people I really know in SoCal that ski at all are some of the UCSD orthopedics residents, who generally ski (well, ride terrain park mostly, which I am less enthused about) at Mt. High and not the other Big Bear areas.

3. It is important for me to buddy up to these residents, in order to help get into their program in about a year’s time. Mt. High is probably best option for that. It is about equally as important for me to have a pretty worthwhile ski season, both from a snow/terrain standpoint and a people-to-get-after-it-with-regularly standpoint. My weekend time is a super precious commodity, so I want it to count.

4. My closest friends in college were Maggots. I do not know the general consensus of where most guys on this forum ski and am planning hopefully to meet up with a fair number of maggots this winter. If there are a fair number of maggots at Mt. High, and the terrain is pretty worthwhile (e.g. wouldn’t get absurdly bored having lived in CO for four years) and the snow is reasonably consistent, option #3 below is the pretty clear winner. This is less clear if the skiing sucks and/or no reasonable people to ski with frequent Mt. High.

5. Chair 8 at Bear Mtn looks reasonably rad—e.g., wouldn’t get too bored (maybe akin to Chair 1 at Loveland? At least a little?). Chair 6 at Snow Summit looked ?promising while biking but short… maybe chair 5? Question is: what is the potential for getting regularly bored with this combo (Cali4nia pass)?

6. Mt. High Express, Conquest, and maybe Exhibition look like some potential. Hard to really gauge the acreage comparing all these lifts I’ve named. Hard to compare overall total terrain also. Looks like 500 acres at Mt. High, versus 240 acres at Snow Summit (100% with snowmaking), versus ?750 at Bear Mtn? If that’s true, Cali4nia pass wins hands-down, but this doesn’t account for “total rad-ish terrain”, which ?may be comparable?

7. Avg snowfall 100” at both Bear Mtn and Snow Summit, versus 130” at Mt. High(w/ 80% snowmaking). Vert at Snow Summit 1200’, Bear Mtn 1650’; Mt. High 1600’. I have no idea what 130” versus 100” means coming from 400” per year at Loveland, which obviously skis a whole lot more consistent than the 250” a year at CB (which would also require a ton more snow for adequate coverage due to terrain differences).

8. I am hoping/planning to sneak in a trip or two or five this winter, all depending on how finances go and how much I get my ass busted catching up on research on the weekends. Almost certainly a week up in tahoe when the gettin's good, +/- quick jaunt weekend trip or two to Loveland with cheap 4pak (friends there), +/- cracked-out stormchasing mission or two to Snowbird and/or Tahoe. This may compensate for some deficiency of radness and snow around here.

The OPTIONS, most to least expensive:
    1. [Baldy +] Cali4nia pass (Mammoth + June + Snow Summit + Bear Mt): $799

2. [Baldy] + Mammoth college pass for grad student + Mt. High pass: total of $699

3. [Baldy +] Mt. High pass alone, including 3 days at Crested Butte (which I could probably get to this year if I had this pass): $399 +/- several day tix to Mammoth, which may be up to 200 or 300 bucks’ worth: total guess of about $599

4. [Baldy] + Mammoth college pass for grad student alone: $299 (would rely on just skiing Baldy for local days, and maybe some day tix to other local resorts): total guess of ?$599 incl 3+ day tix to local resorts? This is probably a silly option, unless Baldy is consistent enough (and there are enough others to ski with there)

5. None of these: $0 (Also probably a silly option, based on how inconsistent Baldy is reported to be, and I can afford financially to be more flexible)

Any input on where you guys ski in addition to/instead of Mammoth/Baldy, what these areas ski like, what you do for pass options, what you’ve done in the past, whether any of these is a total financial rip-off, and what the difference really feels like between these places and Baldy would be sweet. Many thanks in advance. Sorry for length, but this is a pretty big and exciting decision after coming off 5 years trapped back in New Orleans, and also considering politics of UCSD residency...

Aaaand… Go.
    Last edited by Deep Days; 11-05-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    -Jimi Hendrix

Baldy and Mammoth. Keep it simple.

Mammoth is an awesome awesome mountain (top 1 or 2 in CA). If you get a couple 3 day weekends up there (or a week spring break), it will be well worth your money.

I'm biased but here goes
    Baldy is great or it sucks
    Bear is a junk show
    Mtn high is a snowboarding junk show
    Mammoth is a junk show except during the week. Unless it's powder then locals call in sick and shred it
    June is great
    Baldy pass includes 3 days at brianhead
    Mountain collective is not on your list
    Includes mammoth and Tahoe and then alta for quick flight
    I went Mtn collective and baldy
    I had a hard time breaking even on mammoth at $700. At $300 maybe but then I feel forced to go
    Any powder at bear and road is a mess and no glades
    Glades and side country at baldy is epic or shark fin
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Weak El Nino, maybe transitioning to moderate. Similar to 2005?

This may be a season in which Baldy is actually consistent enough.

I would not go with 1. If Mountain High is important for networking reasons, then use you non-Baldy, non-Mammoth local days there.

My sense from reading the SoCal thread over the years is that it's populated by folks who ski Baldy, local BC, or Eastside commute.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Weak El Nino, maybe transitioning to moderate. Similar to 2005?

This may be a season in which Baldy is actually consistent enough.

I would not go with 1. If Mountain High is important for networking reasons, then use you non-Baldy, non-Mammoth local days there.

My sense from reading the SoCal thread over the years is that it's populated by folks who ski Baldy, local BC, or Eastside commute.
    Sweet. Great focused input. Thanks.

I guess a reasable way to distill down that 47-page novella of a question is:
    Is the skiing "better" enough, with enough of a differential of more Maggots skiing there, at Bear/Snow Summit combo than Mt. High?

Or is Mt. High vs. Bear/Snow summit essentially a meaningless distinction in terms of terrain and snow quality as well as decent skiers who ski there? Far fewer groomers at Mt. High? Far more crowds at Bear Mt resorts?

Thanks for suggestion, but Mountain collective is pretty much out, since probability of getting to SLC is so shaky. Tahoe is a pretty solid bet, but I think I can get grad-student prices on tickets ($50), so that's not much of a draw. Betting with reasonable certainty I'll get to at least 8 days' worth of Mammoth, and probability of using any of the other eight days on there is essentially zero.

Any further input much appreciated! Interesting thought about moderate El Nino to make Baldy more reliable, but that option does make me kinda nervous. Being stuck hiking instead of skiing cuz I don't have a pass somewhere with snowmaking and don't have enough time off to get to Mammoth on a given weekend would not be ideal. Much better than watching TV in NOLA, though...
    -Jimi Hendrix

I lived in Wrightwood for 7 years, and had season passes to MT High. The lines and crowds at Mountain High and Bear Mountain are soul-crushing on any good snow weekend or holiday weekends. If you go on the weekends, be prepared to inch your way through miles of traffic and stand in 30 minute lift lines for mediocre skiing. If you were able to get out on a random Wednesday for a good snow day, then the SoCal resorts can be nice. Assuming we get any snow!

I went with the Cali4nia pass this year. Mammoth, June, Bear, and Summit for $689. I also joined the San Diego Ski Club this year. They have a "chalet" at Mammoth with cheap beds, and I hope to be able to find some carpool partners. I'll be making a lot of weekend Mammoth trips this year, contact me if you want to rideshare. And welcome to San Diego!

OK, heres the tough reality. Snow Summit is a family oriented resort and gets super duper crowed. It will be man made hard pack 99% of the time. There really isnt anything there except downhill slopes with some skiable surface. Bear Mountain is basically one big ass terrain park for snowboarders. It too wil be hard pack 99% of the time and will be wall to wall with 12-18 year old park rats.
    Mountain High will be worse. Its smaller, but a bit closer to LA so even more park rats. If you had never skiied before you would be stoked, but because you are in the know, your only hope for fun at those places will be with the people you go with. AKA drink a-lot
    Baldy does have real terrain, but unless its a great snow year the "resort" is marginal.
    Get some skins. - baldy backside ( away from the resort) has a hut at the bottom of a big alpine bowl. Pretty fun for a day or two.
    http://angeles.sierraclub.org/lodges...nioskihut.html
    Rideable real terrain starts at Lone Pine- Get some skins- Big Pine Creek road is off the hook. Bishop has TOOOOONNNS of good terrain. Then of course there is Mammoth and June.
    You can fly into mammoth from San Diego via horizon air. I plan to go big this season so I will be burning up the highway and can offer you a ride sometimes.
    I have a couple of friends in LA who score powder on a pretty regular basis unless its a relly bad season like last year. -Get some skins-
    You will most likely have a good time if you join up with the local ski club. They have a group hut at mammoth and they are always going up.
    http://www.san-diego-ski-club.org/

As it gets warmer you can drive up to the lone pine/big pine area, ski a good slope , eat dinner and be home by midnight. And you would have ridden world class terrain too.

As I said I will be doing quite a few trips up to the mammoth area. I wont be going to the resort but can offer up a ride. Oh, it will be camping at night, but the good thing about the area is Owens Valley. Usually dry and much warmer than the alpine. I have been know to do day trips to mammoth but it does involve spending the night along the way up.

Also- Im waitng for my copy of Jeremy Jones/Higher. Would you people be interested in a barbque get together ? Ill offer up my place for the barbque. Plenty of room and parking. I wouldnt mind meeting some of the Local TGRer's in my area. I am a splitboarder but I like to ride with splitters, boarders, skiiers, monoplankers. Sorry, no snow skaters

Good stuff. Well not "good", but valuable to know...

MT_native, I'll definitely hit u up. SD ski club looks rad.
    You, too, TEXASS.

I'm out of town next weekend (after opening weekend) but am planning on heading up there sat nov 22 just to get my ski legs underneath me, even if retarded crowded. I'll post up here and see if anybody wants to meet up and make some WROD-ish turns. For future: I've got a Lesbaru outback, so plenty of room.

You guys know anything about the ski club's chalet and shuttle? Anybody been there much?

Wondering if there is a decent place around there to work on a laptop all night? Good wi-fi, space at a table, and some privacy in the lounge area? Does chalet have wi-fi? Looks like "quiet hours" may be prohibitive...? Often busy? (Easier to justify skiing Mammoth if I can ski 9-2, work 3 until midnight or so, and then ski 9-2ish again on Sunday in order to make it back home to work about 8-1am. Sucks that I often need a printer to make this happen. Wonder if there's enough space for that, or some other 24-hour workspace nearby so don't have to get a hotel in Bishop every Sat night for Wi-Fi and desk to justify going.

Anybody who's been there a good bit know does shuttle run once-a-day or on a loop schedule?
    -Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Sorry, no snow skaters
    Good thing you clarified that point.

DD, some good advice above. Re: El Nino, Southern California peaks are the place most reliably favored by even a weak El Nino. It's most likely going to be an above-average year down there.

See: http://bestsnow.net/ (Click the "Snowfall Effects of El Nino/La Nina" link on the left) There's a chart in there that shows the data points.
    El Nino strongly favors only Southern California and Arizona, with milder effects extending to the southern Sierra, far southern Utah and New Mexico.

The purple line shows the dramatic boost to Southern California snowfall from El Nino, with the 2 biggest snow years correponding to the 2 big El Nino of 1982-83 and 1997-98. 5 of the top 7 El Ninos produced at least 170% of normal snow. There are no guarantees even here, as the #4 season 1986-87 was a real stinker at only 59%.
    No guarantee, but it's a good bet.

Oh, and BBQ sounds sweet. This weekend may not be all that busy for me work-wise, so I'd be down for sure. I have been waiting since the movie came out to watch McConkey with someone else (seems like a shame to use first time watching alone). Further was rad, so I'd be up for that, too.

Probly do need to get some skins... Will see how the finances go around Christmastime
    -Jimi Hendrix

Still waiting for the DVD to come in the mail. As soon as I get it we can plan a get together. I got the best beer drinking porch in the county. ( Im a stoner though)
    As far as wifi , Mammoth is a modern town....more so than Bishop or Lone Pine. Shouldnt be an issue finding an internet connection......I just dont know about midnight.

Im kicking around the Idea of going up and doing some sliding on shitty man -made snow.....Im in a great need for snow sliding.
    Tried to go back at splitboard.com and find some of my buddies old trip reports. Didnt find His yet, but here is what so-cal can look like on a good year. San Gorgonio is that big peak you see when your at snow summit to the south. Its 11.5K

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11580