TR: Freedom + Shingle Mill Peaks, Southsatch, UT

I've spent many, many years wondering what the group of peaks to the south of my parents house in Midway, UT is. They lie just to the left of Cascade Peak, a clump of deliciously enticing ski mountains, one in particular with a series of N-facing couloirs that beg to be skied. But for some reason I could never figure out the names. Finally I went beyond simple Google searches and picked up a USGS quad to get a closer look. Shingle Mill Peak (10,700'), Freedom Peak (10,805'), and Provo Peak (11,072'). Ahhhh. Further searching shows this area is listed in some of the more classic Wasatch ski guidebooks, but I haven't had a chance to pick one up and see what info they contain.

As seen from Midway.

According to Summit Post , the peak was commonly referred to as "Shingle Mill" for many years, but it remained unnamed until the USGS officially recognized the name in 2007 -- it began appearing on maps as such in recent years (perhaps explaining why I couldn't find it previously).

I'm in Utah for a few days visiting family, and damn if the thing didn't look to be in fine ski condition. So I borrowed some gear and texted a bunch of friends to see if I could rally a crew. Nothing. Fuck it. Solo it is.

You can get to this area via the Squaw Peak Road or the South Fork Road, both heading south from Provo Canyon. It appears a lot easier to go from Squaw Peak, saving you 2,000' and 2+ miles, but I went from South Fork. Because:
    - It seems more logical to follow the drainage out this way from the couloirs on Shingle Mill
    - I don't have a high-clearance, 4x4 vehicle, suggested for Squaw Peak.
    - I couldn't figure out if Squaw Peak Road was open for the season yet (call the Pleasant Grove Ranger District if you want more info).

From the trailhead. Saddle up.

I parked at the last trailhead on the South Fork Road, packed my pack with nothing (cause summer skiing RULES), and headed up around 630am. I followed the trail up and up and so on, opting to stay on mainly-snow free hikers trails instead of ascending the couloirs directly as I had originally considered. With such a light pack the hiking trails were a breeze.

Area panorama.

As I was approaching the summit ridge of Shingle Mill, a nice line presented itself on neighboring Freedom Peak. I couldn't resist, so I scrambled up the knife-like N ridge. The ski was excellent summer snow, and a descent of about 1,300' deposited me back on the dry hikers trail on the Provo side of the divide. Quick switch back to tennies and back up to the ridgeline.

Provo Peak from the top of Freedom.

Freedom Peak (Provo behind). I skied the obvious ramp. Tracks visible, but you gotta want it.

Now it was time for Shingle Mill. I followed the same trail as before, but split left where before I had gone to Freedom. Felt pretty tired nearing the summit, but getting on top made me forget all about it. It felt great to summit a mountain I had wondered about for so long. I opted to ski not the main couloir, but the next to the left as it looked a bit steeper and cleaner. Great skiing, a very aesthetic line.

Yum.

Then I was able to link snow patches down to about 8,500' in Shingle Mill Creek. A quick break to switch back over for good and I began the ~3.5 mile hop skip and jump down to the car.

Don Q vibes.

Awesome report and pics! Good to know someone is still getting after it in the Wasatch and not just sitting at home bitching about One Wasatch and PCMR.

How far up Provo Canyon is the road to the TH? Still not exactly sure I know what peaks are in the picture.

Nice work. Here's a few pictures of that area from March of this year. Powderbirds call Shingle Mill; Thunder mountain. The east facing bowl off Shingle Mill is the Third Hole. The peak south of Freedom and just east of Provo peak; they call Lama, it's the high point on the left in the third picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5726.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	155943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5811.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	155944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5809.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	155945

Summer skiing is fun
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Jealous. Thanks for sharing.

What are the striations below along the western ridge of the peak just north of Freedom Peak? See photo. Anyone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freedom peak utah.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	155951

Awesome photos, Wintergreen, thanks for sharing.

Re: the terraced lines on the mountain's W slope. They're erosion control lines built in the mid- to late-1930s to prevent rainfall-caused debris flows on barren (due to fire, overgrazing...) alpine slopes. Here's an interesting entry at geology.utah.gov.

Killer Stoke! Thanks for posting, yer making me drooooool

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Awesome photos, Wintergreen, thanks for sharing.

Re: the terraced lines on the mountain's W slope. They're erosion control lines built in the mid- to late-1930s to prevent rainfall-caused debris flows on barren (due to fire, overgrazing...) alpine slopes. Here's an interesting entry at geology.utah.gov.
    Wow...learn something new...

edit: I wonder if those terraces help stabilize the snowpack. I guess they do up until a point.

Shingle creek is just south of Snake Creek, right?

Nice work!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Que bueno primo.

Nice. Good old fashioned local TR.
    Life is not lift served.

Nice photo TR, the last one looks like a nice singletrack.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime