Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Cure

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    They pre-date "Emo" so certainly aren't that, but not Goth? Whut? They fucking STARTED that.

you were emo. they just didn't have a name for it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post

And for good measure, because I know Spook and SOB really hate this one:

Ann Wilson looks like shit these days.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Just noticed this Sprint commercial during tonight's Hockey game:

The music is a total knock-off of The Cure's "Lullaby." Bet they didn't get a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post

And for good measure, because I know Spook and SOB really hate this one:

I'm still stoked about this show. Emotional and moving. See them in Chicago or Denver later this summer.
    Fuck, he now looks like a really fucked up Boy George meets Crusty the Clown!

Who cares what he looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    Fuck, he now looks like a really fucked up Boy George eats Crusty the Clown!

FIFY. And kudos butterscotch. I lol'd.

I was a huge Cure fan in my youth (when they were in their prime). Can't really see now what I saw then and consider it further proof that I was fuggin weird growing up.

The Cure are awesome. There, I said it. While the modern day incarnation of the emos, goths and whatever other stereotypes were influenced by The Cure can generally fuck off and die, The Cure are awesome.

Way ahead of their time....

July 11th worldwide concert movie in theaters. I probably go. Trilogy was excellent

Just Like Heaven is up there with Cream’s Badge as the most heart-wrenching three minutes in rock.

May 30, 2019 - 30th Anniversary of Disintigration Concert at the Sydney Opera House... Disintigration starts at 54:30 as the second set.

I saw the Disintegration Tour in 89 in Chicago, I think me and my friends were the only ones there not clothed head to foot in black. Easily a top 5 concert for me.

While Disintegration was a dark album, alot of their other music is hardly Goth or Emo or whatever. Close to Me, Lovecats, Caterpillar are all upbeat songs,

I was at Merriweather post pavilion in Columbia MD. in 1986 for the US tour. I can't remember who opened for them, Gene loves Jezebel maybe. saw Joy division, Echo and the Bunnymen and even the Stray cats there.

Still have the threadbare tshirt around here packed away. The drive back to NoVa. had a major blackout period, roughly the entire beltway around DC in the convertible TR7, top down at about 1am.

Recently inducted into the R&R HOF, they were.

Have quite a few of their mixes on my ski playlist.

Lovecats caught me first, Head on the Door was my go to but actually Faith is maybe my favorite album.

I saw the Cure by accident in 1980 at The Bayou in DC. It was a big rock club back in the day. It was their first US tour, possibly their first US appearance. (edit: apparently 2nd US appearance: http://www.cure-concerts.de/main/1980.php ) We had been in for happy hour and just stayed for the hell of it. Unreal show. Afterwards we were like "who the fuck WERE those guys?".

I didn't hear another thing out of them for at least a couple years, and by then they were taking off. Remembered them and went and saw them at the old Ontario Theatre in DC in 1984. Another great show, they just tore the place up.
    Last edited by iceman; 06-09-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Close to Me, Lovecats, Caterpillar are all upbeat songs,
    Shake Dog Shake is just plain ole heavy guitar rock.

Rock Hall 2019:

Thanks for the Aussie link. Missed the live broadcast

It's funny that Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler can dress like women but Robert Smith is perceived as odd.

The Bayou. Wow, hadn't thought of that place in a while. Bad Brains and Minor threat, yup.

That is scary on many levels, starting with people eating dinner, and that emo fat fuck.

I saw them in 2013 when they played ACL. And they will be playing ACL this year, too. Maybe I should go.

Love this:

^^that's about what I remember them looking like at that first show. By 1984 it was quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    The Bayou. Wow, hadn't thought of that place in a while. Bad Brains and Minor threat, yup.
    Ha. Never really liked that place although I saw some good shows there. Todd Rundgren stands out in my memory, that was great. I worked at Desperados on M Street, and then at the late great Wax Museum Nightclub from the day it opened until the day it closed, if you were around DC in those days we might have crossed paths.

Just watched Trilogy in Blu Ray. It’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

....Name:  FB_IMG_1562244939120.jpeg
Views: 216
Size:  48.3 KB

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Live in NYC 1980