Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Cure

The Cure

Just saw The Cure at Bottlerock. FKNA. One of the greatest live acts. Genius. They played for 2.5 hours until the lights came on. What I really like about The Cure is they don't milk songs for time. Just play it just like the record and on to the next one..and they have a lot of songs. Women are crying during the ballads.

Robert Smith wrote a lot of good songs. Saw them live 20 years ago and my date and I were the small minority of people that wore dressed normally. Great concert.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I was at the Disintegration tour. 3rd row. I believe that was 1989.

fascination street ftw

So good, even the "Extended Mix" was great.

As a tried and true metalhead growing up, Disintegration blew my mind when I got turned onto it. Just couldn't tell my friends. Got Staring At The Sea shortly after and have been a big fan ever since. Never saw them live though.

I saw hem do a double bill with King Crimson in the eighties. Totally different fan base, and EVERYONE was blown the fuck away.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Saw them in 1992 (The Wish Tour) in Denver's McNichols Arena. The little "Goth" girls in their Thrift shop lace gowns and black make-up were crying their eyes out. It was an amazing show. Setlist:

Open, High, Pictures Of You, Lullaby, Just Like Heaven, Fascination Street, A Night Like This, Trust, Doing The Unstuck, The Walk, Let's Go To Bed, Friday I’m In Love, Inbetween Days, From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea, Never Enough, Cut, End,
    E1: Charlotte Sometimes, Three Imaginary Boys, Primary, Boys Don't Cry,
    E2: Close To Me, Why Can’t I Be You,
    E3: Lovesong, A Strange Day, A Forest

I'd rather drive a 16D common nail through my scrotum and hang myself from a joist than listen to anything Robert Smith created. What a fucking miserable POS that dude is. He is barely outshown by Morrissey.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Hahaha.... Claims to have scrotum .... Good one.

Wait, don't you have a Prince Albert?

I moderately like theCure.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Wait, don't you have a Prince Albert?
    That's Crass you dolt. Piercing my dick? I'm a dumbshit, not an idiot.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Hahaha.... Claims to have scrotum .... Good one.
    one that doesn't already have a hole in it, too!

spook Guest
    funny i was in the barry manilow fan club and i thought the cure was for spineless emos.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I'd rather drive a 16D common nail through my scrotum and hang myself from a joist than listen to anything Robert Smith created. What a fucking miserable POS that dude is. He is barely outshown by Morrissey.
    What is it with all the fucking mags equivocating lately?
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    funny i was in the barry manilow fan club and i thought the cure was for spineless emos.
    Your mistake was listening to the vocals/lyrics.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Wtf is wrong with you. Disintegration is phenomenal.

I hear maroon five is going on tour soon, perhaps that's more to your liking.

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    Wtf is wrong with you. Disintegration is phenomenal.

I hear maroon five is going on tour soon, perhaps that's more to your liking.
    Newsflash, not everyone likes everything you like. And I have never heard a maroon 5 tune to my knowledge, so I don't know how they sound. You know who else I think is shit? The Rolling Stones after the early 70s. 100 complete garbage.

Well, you may have a point there.... Although I do like "waiting on a friend". While we're at it, Barry had some great hits and if The Cure come to town, I'm goin.

The Cure is not emo. Not goth. They get put in that camp which is fine. To me, The Cure is like an existential form of The Blues. Deep psychological conflict put to music that somehow makes you feel good...much like The Blues. I've been going to Cure shows since 1981 when they were playing bars. It's refreshing to know that SOB (and Spook) hates them. Is SOB just afraid of the dark? I'd hate the shows to turn into a tattooed mutilated freak show of SOB's which they are not. The goth thing has run its course anyway and the appeal is so broad based it is really remarkable. Here's an article from The American Spectator, a bastion of SOB's conservatism. last month :
    http://spectator.org/articles/59032/...ars-cures-best

Twenty-five years ago today, The Cure released the greatest album of the last quarter century.

Haunting, dark, ethereal, Disintegration paradoxically plays the opposite to all that in spots over its unforgettable 72 minutes. The opening notes of first track “Plainsong,” for instance, hopefully suggest some sonic brave new world. Disintegration’s success, along with REM’s Green and Out of Time, surely ushered in a brave new sound for a staid FM band.

Here's a clip from the Bottlerock show that I particularly like. They cut the PA and the crowd takes over. It was just a great show because the enthusiasm of the crowd just keeps growing because the band delivers for the full 2.5 hours. I love Robert.. Heh..

And for good measure, because I know Spook and SOB really hate this one:

I'm still stoked about this show. Emotional and moving. See them in Chicago or Denver later this summer.

I don't go to shows to listen to the crowd sing the songs. That's why I stopped going to hardcore shows.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The Cure is not emo. Not goth. They get put in that camp which is fine. To me, The Cure is like an existential form of The Blues. Deep psychological conflict put to music that somehow makes you feel good...much like The Blues. I've been going to Cure shows since 1981 when they were playing bars. It's refreshing to know that SOB (and Spook) hates them. Is SOB just afraid of the dark? I'd hate the shows to turn into a tattooed mutilated freak show of SOB's which they are not. The goth thing has run its course anyway and the appeal is so broad based it is really remarkable. Here's an article from The American Spectator lastmonth which is a bastion of SOB's conservatism:
    http://spectator.org/articles/59032/...ars-cures-best

Twenty-five years ago today, The Cure released the greatest album of the last quarter century.

Haunting, dark, ethereal, Disintegration paradoxically plays the opposite to all that in spots over its unforgettable 72 minutes. The opening notes of first track “Plainsong,” for instance, hopefully suggest some sonic brave new world. Disintegration’s success, along with REM’s Green and Out of Time, surely ushered in a brave new sound for a staid FM band.

Here's a clip from the Bottlerock show that I particularly like. They cut the PA and the crowd takes over. It was just a great show because the enthusiasm of the crowd just keeps growing because the band delivers for the full 2.5 hours. I love Robert.. Heh..

And for good measure, because I know Spook and SOB really hate this one:

I'm still stoked about this show. Emotional and moving. See them in Chicago or Denver later this summer.
    i don't hate the cure. i wouldn't know a song of theirs if i heard it. until i saw emoman. check that. fat emoman.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The Cure is not emo. Not goth..
    They pre-date "Emo" so certainly aren't that, but not Goth? Whut? They fucking STARTED that.

Gothic rock (also referred to as goth rock or simply goth) is a musical subgenre of post-punk and alternative rock that formed during the late 1970s. Gothic rock bands grew from the strong ties they had to the English punk rock and emerging post-punk scenes. According to both Pitchfork[2] and NME,[3] proto-goth bands are Joy Division,[2][3][4] Siouxsie and the Banshees,[2][3] Bauhaus,[2][3] and The Cure.[2][3]

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    They pre-date "Emo" so certainly aren't that, but not Goth? Whut? They fucking STARTED that.
    I think what he meant was they aren't what today is considered goth by ignorant little shits. Neither are any of those bands listed (by kids todays views). Well Bauhaus and Joy Division today could be considered goth. Think of it like hardcore. Hardcore used to be Minor Threat, DOA, Black Flag, etc. I listened to those but they were ahead of my time and we considered them punk while hardcore had transformed to things more like Snapcase, Integrity, Converge, etc. Completely different music, but that's how the genre changed. If you put a cure song in front of any little dipshit goth kid that had never heard of them, they certainly would not consider them goth.

And I really like those bands, but some how I could never stand the Cure. His voice is like fucking nails.