Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MacAskill Back At It...

Unfortunately Red Bull embeds don't work here, so you'll have to go to our homepage post:

http://www.tetongravity.com/video/bi...cuen-argentina

Not as balls-out crazy as Imaginate I thought, but there are always such ridiculous moves in his videos. And that ender!

boring as fuck, like watching paint dry.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Sweet time lapses. I guess the biking part was alright too.

I really liked the outline that shows you where to skip for the exciting parts, I guess it speaks volumes about your audience that is 98% smarter than HC

It's just SO tiring being his Stunt Double.
    I'm tired just watching the replay.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    boring as fuck, like watching paint dry.
    Blame the music edit

Huh, I have the propensity to be the biggest hater. But I really enjoyed this edit. No, there are not true crazy moves (except maybe for the end), but the aesthetics of the shots and what he is doing are spot on.

I like to think of this in terms of judging the Olympics. We have come to a place where style is undervalued and spinny flippy acrobatics are given more credence. Great, but they don't encapsulate true aesthetics. I'd rather see Danny do a manual to nose press 270 out in a unique place with a unique angle than another back - tailwhip (or whatever it's called now). Fuck product placement (the obligatory downing of the red bull), long live true style.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

When did stoke videos become just as much of an artistic jerkoff to the director as it was a medium to provide stoke. If I cared I would have gone to see his half-assed cinematography final

maybe I'm just not as cultured as the rest of the bike-media-viewing masses but I could give a shit about whether or not the sun looked really good through the trees or that shadow was moving just as exciting as every other red bull video before this

You probably enjoy the 'acting' in a double penetration scene, too.
    Or at least the cinematic climax!

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    When did stoke videos become just as much of an artistic jerkoff to the director as it was a medium to provide stoke. If I cared I would have gone to see his half-assed cinematography final

maybe I'm just not as cultured as the rest of the bike-media-viewing masses but I could give a shit about whether or not the sun looked really good through the trees or that shadow was moving just as exciting as every other red bull video before this
    No, don't worry, you're still the main demographic, I'm the outlier. Which is why most ski and bike videos are still made for you. Hush, go to sleep now.

But, this does bring up an interesting question. Would you rather watch dudes do super technical shit in the X-games, or Tabke lay down a freeride line?
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

For better or worse, the aesthetics are a bigger part of the equation than they once were. Think about that Poor Boyz shoot in Detroit, where they put the time in to outline their lines in bricks so it looked like a part of the apocalyptic landscape there. Or even in this video, lining the little jump Danny used to do the nose bonk front flip off the street sign with some cute rubble. With so many people able to do the insane shit now, and cameras so goddamn good, I think people making them are now as concerned with how it looks as how gnarly the feature/spot is. I mean, during the VHS/16 mm days you could barely tell enough detail for that to make a difference, but now with 4K+ resolution (that no one can watch) all the details get captured in the shot. Just my two cents, but occasionally I actually enjoy the artsy intro if it's well done and SHORT ENOUGH.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I for one and am glad the fisheye follow cam days are gone. Skaters of yore know my beef.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

going too hard on the internet

I don't have an issue with stoke vids looking nice. I just dislike ones that are 10 minutes long and it takes 2 minutes of fluff just to see someone do something exciting on a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    But, this does bring up an interesting question. Would you rather watch dudes do super technical shit in the X-games, or Tabke lay down a freeride line?
    but Tabke, fur sure

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    going too hard on the internet

I don't have an issue with stoke vids looking nice. I just dislike ones that are 10 minutes long and it takes 2 minutes of fluff just to see someone do something exciting on a bike.

but Tabke, fur sure
    I'm with you. Riding was B+ (Strong work at times, but not enough substance). Concept was B (interesting story, cool shots to see the lake etc) Execution was D- (Story could have been told completely differently. Pace was incredibly slow).

I'm a fanboi. I think Danny Macaskill is a solid guy and he deserves his moment in the spotlight along with whatever cash Redbull is willing to throw at him until the light fades. These are ads for Redbull. Don't think it's art or core or anything else. It'll just make you sound retarded.
    I think the first vid was his best with the Band of Horses song in it. Perfect mix of riding and music doing shit none of us had paid much attention to previously.
    Road Bike Party 2 was killer too since I didn't know he'd be in it and was stoked with the surprise "cameo" and he had some killer "tricks" (namely the backwards downhill front wheelie and the loop).
    Road Bike Party 2: Making Of documentary solidified that Danny is a stand up guy. I'm a fan.
    But really, I like to watch him ride. Like in skiing or paddling or whatever, there's always someone "better" around the next corner. But I'm compelled by someone who can draw me in with his/her personality and riding style and choice of backdrop. Mix it up nice and it gets me stoked to ride even if I'll never do anything like any of that shit.
    Fuck the Jong banter.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. I rarely can sit and watch a ski or bike video because usually the music is god awful or the editing so choppy as to be seizure inducing.

These kids can play on my lawn any time.

another fun video out of Danny.
    all the silliness with the kids taking off their wheels and riding on their handlebars cracked me up even the second time I watched it.

https://youtu.be/XD2eRIgBgI4
    skid luxury

Tennis anyone?

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Tennis anyone?

That ride across a tennis net may be the most incredible thing I've ever seen on a bike. The flexible line at the top of a net is what, an 1/8 "? That and the huge front flip from a flat to flat on concrete on those giant steps He is so fun to watch. I think when I retire I might buy a trials bike and bounce around my neighborhood just to entertain myself.

Good luck with that at retirement age! The slams that come with learning are probably for the young, but who knows could be talking out my ass.

That tennis line was nuts. I also noted they interjected more failed attempts than in any other video that I can remember of his.

Regardless pretty ridiculous. Wibmer Fabios recent one is really good as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30Z0OToWgI

Couldn't believe the tennis line shot... also loved watching him on the chain next to the SF bay, I can only imagine how slippery it was.

The backwards stoppie down Lombard St was something else

Oh man! I'm entertained every time! I do like the fails followed by the longer shot of him making that trick.

So good!

As someone who used to life in SF, I can't believe he wasn't sliding all over the place on all the human urine and feces.

RedBullTV has a pretty good "making of" series about this one.

Live his stuff but it kinda makes me feel like i should just quit biking 🤯