Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who here chops off their dog's nuts?

Are they still badass? Does it take the badass out of them? Better to wait until older? My dog is a total dick, but knows his place in the pack. More frequent beatings as he gets older? Some Shiba Inu's are known for smelling bitches in heat for miles, and will do anything to hump them.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Unless you plan to breed, there is no need to keep them intact. They may not be as aggressive, toward other males, but will still be bad ass, if that is their nature
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    My dog is a total dick.... Shiba Inu's
    I am surrounded by Shibas and they are quite reliably nearly always total dicks. But to be honest I think that has a lot to with that particular breed responding poorly to an almost complete lack of training and socialization which is very common where I live.

My dog has no nuts and he is super mellow. American Cocker, which have a reputation for being snappy, but again, I think that has HEAPS to do with the dbags who own them and groom them like pathetic precious spoilt creatures of fluff rather than letting them live the active outdoor life for which they are designed.
    Last edited by neck beard; 05-25-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

I didn't really have a choice in the matter is it's policy for Humane Society of Western Montana and probably lots of other places to send you home with a spayed/neutered/soon to be that dog. And yes. Wally is a bad ass. He comes mountain biking and still has the energy to dominate every other dog he meets on the trail. Don't try to hump Wally. It won't end well. He's extremely obedient and submissive to humans. Total sweetheart in that department. Generally a fun loving dog, but very alpha-male. He will back down from alpha females. He still tries to hump females and stuff. He got stuck in this one dog in heat. It's allegedly good for them, and yada yada. Just think how much easier your life would be without all the drama sex comes with and someone to wait on you hand and foot and even pick up your poop?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Aggressiveness is not just in the balls. http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ng-mine-WWTPRD

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Unless you plan to breed, there is no need to keep them intact. They may not be as aggressive, toward other males, but will still be bad ass, if that is their nature
    Boom. First reply. Read no further...

With horses, they say a proud cut gelding (getting cut late) will still think he has nuts and will be feisty and crazy like a stallion.
    Don't know if that applies to dogs but if you have a breed that is a little nutty, like, say, a Jack Russel might be, chop 'em.
    Saves you the grief of finding your dog in the pound, having been picked up ten miles away chasing bitches.

Yeah, I agree, I wear this guy out running him, and he is half-time mellow, for now, at 9 months. Still needs some discipline, as the shiba are like husky, on a small scale. I named mine Ninja for getting into things at home in his first week that were basically impossible IMO. He is small enough it don't need to worry if I can't do proper walks one day, but big enough to get into major trouble if he is not entertained. I think frisbee jumping is in his future. Certainly fast enough. The breed is just bossy in general though, in a dick way, unlike some other breeds, which are just assholes…

I will use the proud cut gelding on my Vet. She will be impressed I imagine, or most certainly not because of the subject matter...

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    I am surrounded by Shibas and they are quite reliably nearly always total dicks. But to be honest I think that has a lot to with that particular breed responding poorly to an almost complete lack of training and socialization which is very common where I live.

My dog has no nuts and he is super mellow. American Cocker, which have a reputation for being snappy, but again, I think that has HEAPS to do with the dbags who own them and groom them like pathetic precious spoilt creatures of fluff rather than letting them live the active outdoor life for which they are designed.
    Terje was right.

Is the question asking if any of us have done this at home using whiskey and a bite stick?

I'd also ask about these--in brass--because your dog sounds like a badass.

http://www.neuticles.com/videos.php
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    With horses, they say a proud cut gelding (getting cut late) will still think he has nuts and will be feisty and crazy like a stallion.
    Don't know if that applies to dogs but if you have a breed that is a little nutty, like, say, a Jack Russel might be, chop 'em.
    Saves you the grief of finding your dog in the pound, having been picked up ten miles away chasing bitches.
    A proud cut horse is one that they did not get all of the testicles. . Usually by accident. Most cannot reproduce, but will behave like stallions. As for gelding age and behavior, a lot of it is training...

The later you cut a dog (or stallion), the more the male traits become behaviors and not just hormonally fueled. Hence why both Splat and mtngirl are correct.

As stated, the only reason to have an intact male (insert species here) is to breed them, otherwise they are a pain in the ass most of the time (applies to humans as well. Read just about any thread at TGR if you want proof.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    The later you cut a dog (or stallion), the more the male traits become behaviors and not just hormonally fueled. Hence why both Splat and mtngirl are correct.

As stated, the only reason to have an intact male (insert species here) is to breed them, otherwise they are a pain in the ass most of the time (applies to humans as well. Read just about any thread at TGR if you want proof.)
    Thanks and I like that conclusion. I am new to raising my own pup, always had dogs growing up, but dad was pack leader of course.

Reading more lately, the shiba grows slowly until about 2. I worry about hips problems or other issues if I chop too early.

Anyone do extra reading in the subject?

Shibas are a pain in the ass. They are cold and aloof, smell bad, are really oily and not friendly with other dogs. Of course that's just a stereotype, I'm sure there are wonderful examples of the breed.

i always heard they were difficult to train, independent and aloof dogs that prefer to roam the neighborhood alone.. they seem to attract bad owners, too, like pits and huskies, so that may be responsible for some of the negative stereotype...

Ummm, why do you need your dog to be a bad-ass? Aren't you bad-ass enough for both of you?

We had both our dogs snipped before 6 months. One is a shelter dog and is very passive, and probably would have been that way even if we had postponed the neuter. The other is a Scottie, and is an ornery little shit, which is one of his most endearing qualities. Our neighbor has a male Scottie from the same parents as ours, but a different litter, and waited till something like 2.5 years to have him neutered. He's definitely more dog-aggressive than ours, but very friendly with people.

I have heard that neutering earlier sort of halts the maturing process; i.e., the early snipped dog retains more of the puppyish traits, where a dog that is allowed to fully mature before snipping retains more of the adult traits after neutering. If one of those adult traits is being dog-aggressive, I'd snip them early again in a heartbeat. I'm ok with my dog being a pussy vs worrying about what other dogs he might decide to square off against. Of course a dog-aggressive dog doesn't always back off just because your dog is being submissive, so I guess there's that to be considered too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Isn't there a better way than chop the nuts off of mans best friend. We had many dogs, all males mind you and we never messed with their junk.
    There has to be a form of sterilization that doesn't interfere with there dignity. I understand the bigger picture but it seems so cruel
    signed
    Keny Satch, Dog's best friend

Thanks for the insight everyone Reasons I have some concern are as follows.
    This guy had kennel parvo and he was the runt of the litter. Right now at nine months he has the best coat of the litter because I fed him right and his disposition is extremely happy and definitely badass, not by my choice. He interacts with other dogs very well and I have a six-year-old daughter so first-graders torture him and he's a perfect gentleman.

Many Sheba owners do not know what you're getting into. wrong diet and overfeeding, not enough exercise these dogs are like Husky and an Akita put together in a small package. I actually never knew how popular they were until I got one.

I like a lot of the information here as I was even considering not neutering him at all which would be crazy. As these dogs get older they become more independent and I've read even more bossy. Not German schnauzer bossy but they can be a pain in the ass.

After reading everything here, My initial instinct is to wait until he's going through another strong growing Period And chop them off. Right now he's on the skinny side might have a worm or something but he's definitely paused his growth for the last four weeks so I think I'll wait another month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Isn't there a better way than chop the nuts off of mans best friend. We had many dogs, all males mind you and we never messed with their junk.
    There has to be a form of sterilization that doesn't interfere with there dignity. I understand the bigger picture but it seems so cruel
    signed
    Keny Satch, Dog's best friend
    Their dignity? Don't be an idiot - stop anthropomorphizing your pets. They eat their vomit, roll in squirrel shit because it stinks, and lick their junk because they're bored.

Dogs aren't "dignified." They're animals. You neuter them to keep them from making more animals than needed. Listen to the fucking Vet in this thread.

All my dogs have been cropped prior to getting them, except a old golden retriever from when I was 8-23yo. Pops eventually chopped his nuts b/c he didn't listen for shit. It mellowed him out, but he was almost 5 by then anyhow.

Adopted a few pointers that have all been clipped and if they lost a step, it was only in being more docile socially. My pup is 3yo and sweet as a baby to strange ppl & dogs, but as strong an instinct as I've seen - swatted a female mallard off her takeoff attempt the other day. Made it into rescue by killing an outdoor cat. He's very well behaved but is still a 70lb workhorse, not an ounce of quit once the adrenaline starts going.

re: alternatives.. maybe snipping leads to more health problems or is prohibitively expensive? Not a bad idear

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    and lick their junk because they're bored.
    Or just because they can.

Buddy: Oh look, Buster's licking his junk.
    Me: I wish I could do that.
    Buddy: I'm pretty sure he'd let you.

If I could lick my junk, and had tits, I'd never leave the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Their dignity? Don't be an idiot - stop anthropomorphizing your pets. They eat their vomit, roll in squirrel shit because it stinks, and lick their junk because they're bored.

Dogs aren't "dignified." They're animals. You neuter them to keep them from making more animals than needed. Listen to the fucking Vet in this thread.
    WTF is your problem?
    anthropomorphizing pets you say
    I'm talking about Dogs not a fish in bowl
    FYI I don't treat Dogs like humans I treat them like Dogs with respect and yes dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    WTF is your problem?
    anthropomorphizing pets you say
    I'm talking about Dogs not a fish in bowl
    FYI I don't treat Dogs like humans I treat them like Dogs with respect and yes dignity.
    I think Tipp's point is to treat the situation more simply, because of the breeding aspect.. I also believe, like you that natural is best, but overwhelming scientific evidence says that over their short lives, it just does not matter to their health enough.

Also, the risk of him running off, getting hit by a car, because he can't fuck some bitch around the corner, is a worse prospect.

The breed is a retriever by heart. Shiba- Inu are Amazing dogs, that has became some sort of strange fat house dog for the rich in SF.

Dude is growing up… so tonight, he jumped out the door…trying to get out on his walking route…..i gave him a firm command, he obeyed and came back! 2 weeks ago, he went on our route….no one can catch this dog…..no one.
    Terje was right.

No Kenny, you're talking about YOU. The thought if a male dog getting snipped makes you cringe because you think it somehow effects your own masculinity. Don't worry pal - you are a big verile manly man with a gigantic penis.

Ha, look who's back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Don't worry pal - you are a big verile manly man with a gigantic penis.
    you're so amusing I forgot to bark but the subject is balls not penis praising