Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I think pepper spray is the way to go. They'll learn real quick

Almost as quick as you'll learn that wind blows everywhere.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

For real though OP- get an air horn. The cheap aerosol kind. The next time the dog rushes you, blast them with the air horn. It'll turn em around or at least stop em dead AND get their owner's attention in a hurry!

And you don't have to get bear spray in your eyes either which is always nice.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    For real though OP- get an air horn. The cheap aerosol kind. The next time the dog rushes you, blast them with the air horn. It'll turn em around or at least stop em dead AND get their owner's attention in a hurry!

And you don't have to get bear spray in your eyes either which is always nice.
    Wrong, big stick. I've seen plenty of dogs ignore airhorns and other loud, shrill noises when their hackles are up. Very few ignore getting thumped on the head and back a few times with a 5 foot length of 2x4. Like everyone else has said, you don't want to kill the thing...yet, but you do want to make it fear you and show it that you are not to be fucked with. Beatings do just that.

Sometimes you need to think like a dog. Show that dog who's dominant by humping it. Problem solved.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Sometimes you need to think like a dog. Show that dog who's dominant by humping it. Problem solved.
    ^^^ Speaks from experience. Or so I've heard.

.... and sig-worthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^ Speaks from experience. Or so I've heard.
    Never actually tried it yet (see the disclaimer below), though the lab down the street would be a candidate. I've been watching a lot of Caesar Milan lately and you need to think like a dog.

It's like TGR in a way, someone would post something and then someone like Rog would come in and hump the post a bit.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Bear spray is messy. Squirtgun filled with ammonia works too, and won't go where you don't want it to go.

nuke it from orbit. it's the only way to be sure.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Buy two cans of bear spray. Go out somewhere and practice with one, so you know how it sprays, distance, spread pattern etc. They are more of a heavy stream than a mist like spray paint. Once you use a can, consider it junk and get another one.

Jesus, people, the OP asked WWTPRD, and there is only one answer to that question: nuke it from orbit, behead the remains.

Taking out your frustrations on the dog is choosing the wrong target. Get a pet porcupine adn walk that. Then the owner gets to spend his evenings pulling quills, the dog gets a taste of pain, and you and your dog get to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Buy two cans of bear spray. Go out somewhere and practice with one, so you know how it sprays, distance, spread pattern etc. They are more of a heavy stream than a mist like spray paint. Once you use a can, consider it junk and get another one.
    Been there done that. Part of our bear safety training when I worked up north.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.