Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Sauces.

Hot Sauces.

I fucking love them. I like a few different ones for specific applications. I use the stuff on almost everything.

Lately I have rediscovered plain old Tabasco. I put it on the more Americano dishes. Usually on breakfast foods such as eggs, potatoes, or country fried steak.

For pizza I really enjoy the garlic Tabasco.

Rice bowls and other Asian inspired things get the cock sauce, Siracha.

Cholula is probably my most favorite for overall all around use but it's pricey. The Chipotle Cholula is good but it sometimes seems too sweet.

As far as store bought salsa's go the taquera from Herdez is so good as long as you like the smoked peppered taste. Goya has a similar taquera that I get when I can't find the Herdez.

What do you like and for what?

Marie Sharp's - Orange habanero = awesome
    Denver Dirt Pimp - Feel free to hit me up with any RE questions.

A total sleeper that is great is Trader Joe's habanero sauce. Anyone else tried this?

Cheap Valentina's is great, or just standard Tapatio.

But the go to here is Aardvark.

I fucking love hot sauce, especially the smoked varieties.

My go-to for awhile was the Smoked Tabasco. I especially like it on eggs, but also on tacos and other mexican dishes. Golden Toad Smoked Chipolte is a good alternative, perhaps slightly less smokey, but spicier and more tangy.

A big fan lately of the Boulder Hot Sauce Co's Smoked Serrano. It's very smokey, and spicy. I use it when I want a little extra kick, or when I don't want a chipolte flavor.

Recently I discovered SaSo Sauces, sampled all of them (all are good) and bought the Red Pepper Chipolte. It's more flavorful than the other chipolte sauces I've bought. Makes an excellent marinade for meats. I use it on steak quite a bit.

Valentina + mac & cheese is a favorite quick and easy bachelor meal.

My brother recently bought a sauce called the Rectum Ripper, which he says is completely and utterly terrifying.

jgb@etree Guest
    For cooking:

(The regular stuff is good, but HOT. The Ghost Pepper version is delicious as well, but OMFG is it hot.)

Directly on food:

Tapatio.....es una salsa muy salsa
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

In my fridge now:

Tobasco, Sriracha - my goto's on everything
    El Yucateco (both red and green)- this stuff is killer on mexican food
    Frank's Red Hot- ..pretty bland but I like the flavor

Franks sometimes is the stuff, especially for wings.

@Adrenalated, I'm not sure I'm too excited about something called rectum ripper!

I think I go for the more mild stuff cause I pour that shit on. I have to check myself with the Tapatio after I have been using Cholula for a while. Tapatio has some kick, it's probably the best on a budget.

That Saso chipotle sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    In my fridge now:
    This is an amateur move.

El Pato is my favorite. Most unique flavored one I've tried. Second favorite is the black labeled Valentina.

True vato tip: Take bag of chicharrones. Split it open down the seem and un-fold flaps. Pour a significant amount of your hot sauce du jour on top. Devour.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    This is an amateur move.
    How is that an amateur move. I was using my words, as in, if it's in the fridge it must be fuckin good and worth keeping around.

Just ribbing you. It's vinegar based - no need for refrigeration (except maybe sriracha, it has a lot of sugar).

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    Just ribbing you. It's vinegar based - no need for refrigeration (except maybe sriracha, it has a lot of sugar).
    But, but, what else are you supposed to use those door shelves for?!

Do yourselves a favor and find some Mezetta's Habanero sauce.
    Hits just the right balance.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I love the cholulu chili garlic

Some of them really red line the salt and if you put a ton of it on stuff, one meal can be like weeks worth of sodium. The ccg was the lowest sodium of all the standard supermarket varieties. Not that hot but very tasty.

And anything habenero is bueno
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Twisted Mother 2 from Palatable Pepper Products - not for the weak but the flavor is unlike any other I have tried.

East Armageddon by TCs Hot Sauce I like almost all of his stuff. This one can be scary but its a good clean one for spicing up most things.

I love cholula (regular) on almost everything, I go through about 3 bottles a month .
    Cholula chili lime is awesome on almost any white fish . Their new jalapeño/poblano sauce really nice too .
    Sriracha on asian stuff and Sambal Oelek for cooking . Sambal is also best making for poke , if not then sriracha .

:Also , I had a grilled cheese(Bladersons 2yr cheddar on homemade bread) sandwich today and used the Cholula jalapeño/poblano on it ,it was so good!
    I used to use the original , but the green stuff will now be my go-to for grilled cheese .
    Last edited by DDsnake; 05-22-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    My brother recently bought a sauce called the Rectum Ripper, which he says is completely and utterly terrifying.

Fuck all that Habanero and Ghost shit...maybe if you've been smoking for a few decades and have no taste buds left!

If I didn't know any better, I'd say all the love for Cholula has been driven by marketing. But I've been using it for a decade and know that it's popularity is well deserved.

Nice to see props for Tapatio as well...that's kinda like the #2 brand to Cholula imo.

I have not fucked with the other varieties of Cholula, but I think I will soon...

+1 for Valentina. I essentially use it as a ketchup replacement. MIx it with horseradish to make cocktail sauce for seafood/fish.

Arizona Gunslinger Red Jalapeno Sauce is so tasty, but a bit pricy. The Trader Joe's version is really close, costs half as much and I can pick it up locally.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

For you hot sauce fans: http://peppers.com/ Yes, they will ship.

Owned by an aquaintance of mine. He used to own the Starboard in Dewey Beach and traveled the world in the off-season searching for hot sauces. He then set up a retail operation in a shack on the bar property, which grew into this business.

Sriracha is good on almost anything. Hot roast beast, provolone, roasted red pepper with sriracha ftmfw.

For cooking, I have found sambal oelek to be extremely useful. Crushed a jar of it in no time.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

I bought a bottle of Scotch Bonnet pepper green hot sauce in Jamaica. Was fantastic. Unfortunately can't remember the brand name.

Red Hot extra hot has been one of my go-to sauces recently. Greatly enjoy Tapatico as well. Even Texas Pete will do in a pinch. Sriacha when I'm in the mood for that. Love chipotle based sauces as well. Currently digging on a bottle of El Yucateco green habanero sauce as well. Love me some hot sauce!
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

A topic I love!

I figure I use about 5 different ones regularly, and have at full fridge door shelf dedicated to the hot sauces.

Heat is easy to find, and capsaicin is what your looking for! Currently I have about 1/5th of "Possible side effects" left. This is a one drop at a time sauce. Has taken me about 2 years to almost finish this bottle. I used about 5 drops on Jamaican meat patty's to give you an idea of my tolerance. This is another categoty of heat. Prior to this bottle it took me about three years to go though a bottle of Pure Cap, the hottest I have ever tried, dispenses in an eye dropper. If you ever want to get back at somebody for fucking you over put a couple of drops of this on his/her car door handle; that hand will be in an eye mouth nose or worse at the urinal and almost no amount of water will fix the burn! Now I bet that is a "use" the OP never thought about

However, it's gotta be about the flavor and not just the heat, so here is what years of trials have found

For a none vinegary (like most Tobasco like sauses) I found the ElYucaten brown(hottest) and green Habenaro to be my favorites, I go through about a bottle of each every couple of months. The Brown has a real good kick but is one of the most flavorfull sauses I've tasted. The brown get mixed in with any dish and just works without killing the dishes task like the vinegary sauces do. Careful it is powerful!

And my all time non traditional flavor favorite but really hard to find is NuPak Calypso Sauce. This is a very flavorful sleeper sauce, bottle says medium heat but its hotter than that. This is my favorite in scrambled eggs. but it really adds great flavor and heat to just about anything

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    For you hot sauce fans: http://peppers.com/ Yes, they will ship.

Owned by an aquaintance of mine. He used to own the Starboard in Dewey Beach and traveled the world in the off-season searching for hot sauces. He then set up a retail operation in a shack on the bar property, which grew into this business.
    That site is rad! I love how he includes the ingredients.

Yeah, Chip knows his shit. Send him some business - he's good people.