Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Not sure about functionality but I am finding it hard on the eyes too.

-The font is bad, Times Roman just doesn't look good here.
    -Maybe it's the background is too dark? It's like there's too much contrast. I think the colors need work, basically.
    -The all-caps thread titles are screaming too much

There's 3 things.
    Yup, yup, and...yup.

Not seeing many pings from the gurus, guessing there will be more responsiveness to these and other observations tomorrow. Cheers-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

We are still working on some of these but we will continue to comment tomorrow. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Yup, yup, and...yup.
    I'm not seeing a serifed font except in replying. The normal font seems fine to me.

Is this generally where suggestions should be made?

If not bummer....

Under community: Google+ ID's Not only numeric endings if people have name based ID's

Using the drop down bar for forums is bad IMO because I have to choose a specific topic then hit new posts why isnt there a new posts available in the drop down bar?

still can't post images, i'm running safari.
    crab in my shoe mouth

WHY ARE ALL THE THREADS YELLING AT ME?
    holy fucking shitballs

Sweet, the threads turn red now when you click them. Any way to get them to display this way when you click on the arrows to go to last post as well? I use that every time I am going to a thread I have visited before. However, there are no visual cues saying I've been in it, unless I replied which I obviously don't do to every thread.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Rule of thumb in design, use fewer fonts. In just this first post of a thread, I see at least 3 different fonts if not 4, tons of different point sizes, some bold, others not, some italic, others not, some all caps, others not. This is REALLY difficult to look at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 9.09.51 AM.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	155640  

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    GET RID OF THE ALL CAPS FORUM TITLES
    This. The titles are truncated on the new posts lists screen on my iPad and iPhone.

And it seems to crash Safari on my (older) iPad (6.1.3) when I open a couple of tabs. Sometimes just when I hit new posts.

For those on Firefox - I had to zoom out (Control -) until I could actually see the whole page and not just a bunch of giant text and images. The default must be super zoomed in.

That works with any browser.

Just imagine that this was a new website for National Healthcare Insurance.
    Bugs in a new program? Nothing new.

Bugs? Easy to see formatting mistakes and buttons not lighting up and images not working or uploading are showstopper bugs. Being able to read a website is kind of the point. They are something that should have been caught within the first 5 minutes of beta testing. Just like we caught them all and started commenting immediately upon launch. No one thought to load the blue style they were saying would be available and realized you couldn't read anything?

Ever hear of Digg? They were almost sold to Google for $200M. After talks broke down they started redesigning. And redesigning, and redesigning and adding shit and fucking over everyone that came there and made them what they were for years. It sold several years later for $500,000 after everyone left and went to reddit. Change isn't always a good thing. And with every major change, more people bitch and leave. Sure, some say it's the influx of new dickbags that don't "get it", but that's exactly what TGR wants. More people. Which means the diehard will eventually leave and with it, so will the content.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    word.
    just hangs in Safari as well. Second click works tho, for me anyways...
    test test test
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanwillie View Post
    1. not diggin the font at all and it's way way too big.

2. things are disproportionate. The time of post on the top right of each post is like fuckin 22pt font!!

mainly just make the damn font smaller. Its harder to read when it's this big.

It seems like the font is all bold....
    What browser are you on?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Please speak to a typographer and designer for 5-10 minutes each about the font and general layout on the forums.

My non-professional opinion (Firefox 27.0.1, OS X 10.9):

Index pages: Thread titles' font weight is way too heavy. Character spacing too tight. All red stuff looks bad. I don't mind the all-caps at all.

Individual post pages: Thread titles too heavy, character spacing too tight, all-caps is fine. The box above each threaded post just doesn't sit right (the thin border and date sitting further left than anything else on the entire page, just doesn't fit the rest of the layout). Too much space under the signature before the light blue box. Unneeded space to the left of the "report post" icon inside the light blue box. Everything red looks bad.

EDIT: Checked on Chrome 35 too. Thread titles look much better on the index pages, but are a terrible looking serif font on individual pages.

Formatting for user dropdowns when you click on their name displays wonky. All tabs in user profile have a different look to them. Can't read white on white text on left. Can't read black on blue text in multiple places.

See attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 11.43.44 AM.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	155641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 11.44.09 AM.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	155642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 11.45.54 AM.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	155643  

So seems like the conclusion is that it was probably not a good idea to give this redesign project to a middle schooler?

And if it wasn't?

Maybe it should have been?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Why the fuck doesn't the reply with quote button work?

where are all my formatting options for posts? I just have a text box (and checked my profile, I have "standard editor" checked, not "basic").
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^ that too.

Hugh Conway Guest
    could we get consistancy across pages in fonting? like how on the index pages the thread starter is clickable, yet indistinguishable from the non-clickable text titles? (and across various pages the "usernames" are varying weights, seemingly randomly - on index pages they stand out, yet on threads they are overshadowed by random shit) And is there a reason the "Post New Thread" and "Reply to Thread" are bright freaking red? And the attachments, when attached, show up in white text in a white box so are completely illegible? So it's easier to make stupid posts, but harder to make valuable posts (which is the whole point of upgrading, right? make it easier to post stoke?)

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    where are all my formatting options for posts? I just have a text box (and checked my profile, I have "standard editor" checked, not "basic").
    are you on mobile or desktop/laptop? Looks like all my formatting options are the same, same toolbar across the top of the text box??
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

desktop.

It's really fucking slow. too.

No more buttons for adding a picture or video hosted elsewhere? I'm OK with adding the [img] or [video] stuff but the other way was easier.

Also the forums seem exceedingly slow now.

Did you guys update this just for the sake of updating or was there a reason for it? I saw nothing wrong with the way it was...

Oh, and the white is better, but reminds me too much of Powmag.com