Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to ski the Wailer 99

My DPS Wailer 99 and I have a love-hate relationship. At the moment the love isn't there. Now I need some advise on skiing technique. I love the 99 in firm condition and fesh pow, but the trouble starts in variable conditions and firmer three dimensional snow. That big tip and short, steep rocker makes the ski wanting to finish the turn too quick, making the tails wash out if I try to carve a longer turn. Trying to drive the showel of the ski makes the steep rocker engage, resulting in either a super-tight uncontrolled turn(which is not fun when hauling ass down the falline), or beeing launched in the air, or a combination of the above mentioned.

Skiing breakable crust is not much fun either, but that goes for any pin tailed ski.

This has led me to ski my Lotus 120 which I have a love-love relationship with. Pherhaps I just don't really like skis with steep rocker and short turn radius?

Sounds like the Wailer112 - just not versatile and suitable to a certain style of skier. If so, detune the tips heavily and only ski them on carvable snow or consistent pow, where they perform as designed and will suit some skiing style really well.
    Last edited by neck beard; 05-19-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

I've had the same feeling about my 99's in wet, heavy, chunky pow. Especially if there are trees involved. Seems like in these conditions, they just hook up and go straight. The only way to break the tails loose in slop seems to be in the back seat.

Would de-tuning help in the chunky stuff? I see how this would work on groomers, but I can't picture the physics in soft snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard7763 View Post
    wet, heavy, chunky pow. Especially if there are trees involved. Seems like in these conditions, they just hook up and go straight. The only way to break the tails loose in slop seems to be in the back seat.

Would de-tuning help in the chunky stuff? I see how this would work on groomers, but I can't picture the physics in soft snow.
    I have a dramatically different pair of skis which had this characteristic. Mounting further back and Detuning the tails helped enough to be noticeable. I have no idea if it would help on the 99.

Really wet, heavy, chunky pow allows an edge to be set pretty easy. That shit just packs down hard under pressure and by the time your tails passes through the trench formed by the forebody of the ski, the snow is possibly hard enough to cause a sharp tail edge to hold more than you want? Or perhaps that is me making shit up.
    Life is not lift served.

If the skis want to go straight in chunky treed conditions maybe they are trying to tell you something. Could they possessed by the spirit of Shane? Just a thought. If you send them to me I can try and whisper them into big sweet arcing sticks. Might take a couple of seasons.....
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    If the skis want to go straight in chunky treed conditions maybe they are trying to tell you something. Could they possessed by the spirit of Shane? Just a thought. If you send them to me I can try and whisper them into big sweet arcing sticks. Might take a couple of seasons.....
    Ha!

I could be talked into selling them. Or trade?

got any third person video or you skiing?

First you must humble yourself to the design characteristics of the ski, instead of demanding the ski to be different. With a higher mark of skill you'll soon be high speed slarving down the fall line.

or do as I did and get something a touch more traditional. A little straighter, flat tail, maybe slight tip rocker. I bought Movement Goliaths for just this purpose. Found out the hard way 2 years ago when my brother and I were skiing breakable crust. I was on Wrenegades(big tip, half twin-which I think comes into play with crusts-in a negative way, pinish tail) and my bro on his Goliaths. Needless to say he did not encounter the crust the same way I did! Something to be said about a predictable ski in those conditions.

Slarving a ski with such a big tip in variable snow is no fun when the tip meets some firmer chunck under the snow. slarving is not the solution here. Skiing neutral and keeping the speed down works best here for me. The Lotus or other 4frnt skis I have skied invites me to smash trough them, and ski as they were never there.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    With a higher mark of skill you'll soon be high speed slarving down the fall line.
    PM Lindahl?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by espen_ka View Post
    Slarving a ski with such a big tip in variable snow is no fun when the tip meets some firmer chunck under the snow. slarving is not the solution here. Skiing neutral and keeping the speed down works best here for me. The Lotus or other 4frnt skis I have skied invites me to smash trough them, and ski as they were never there.
    Actually, that part was a joke.
    Satire, if you will. I was mocking a self-fluffing d-bag from another thread.

I have the 99 in 192 and the Lhasa pow in 196, which is a bit like the 120, (which I've also skied). One of the things I like about the 99 is the tighter turning radius compared to the Lhasa. I get frustrated on anything firm with the Lhasa if I want to make a tight turn, as I then must skid the tails, which I'm loathe to do. FWIW, I tend to bounce around with the 99 in crud, looking for spots to turn, and trying to air or not do anything in between. Also, the 99s are great in tighter trees and couloirs. That said, I love skiing as straight as possible in crud w/ the Lhasa. They're just really different, that's why I own both.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

You need to lift the outer ski and as much as possible the inner ski. Preferably just keep them off snow.

First you must humble yourself to the design characteristics of the ski, instead of demanding the ski to be different. With a higher mark of skill you'll soon be high speed slarving down the fall line.
    As a Will Ferrell imitator purveying crippled unfunny comedy, you have no equal. As an armchair e-shrink discerning an internet entity's Psychological Profile, you have a long way to go. Witness:

Actually, that part was a joke.
    Satire, if you will. I was mocking a self-fluffing d-bag from another thread.
    kuuuh kuh kuh KOOOOOO! mee en th' hoal 5th grayd at Magit Elem reely laffed at that!

or do as I did and get something a touch more traditional. A little straighter, flat tail, maybe slight tip rocker. I bought Movement Goliaths for just this purpose. Found out the hard way 2 years ago when my brother and I were skiing breakable crust. I was on Wrenegades(big tip, half twin-which I think comes into play with crusts-in a negative way, pinish tail) and my bro on his Goliaths. Needless to say he did not encounter the crust the same way I did! Something to be said about a predictable ski in those conditions.
    Really? I've loved my Wrens in variable breakable crust. They just blast through it if you stay centered with slight tip pressure. But then again, I'm the best skier on the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    As a Will Ferrell imitator purveying crippled unfunny comedy, you have no equal. As an armchair e-shrink discerning an internet entity's Psychological Profile, you have a long way to go. Witness:
    kuuuh kuh kuh KOOOOOO! mee en th' hoal 5th grayd at Magit Elem reely laffed at that!
    Tissue for your tears?
    As far as salve for your extreme butthurt, you're on your own there Liberace, but I'm sure this ain't your first rodeo.
    We can agree that Will Ferrel is not funny though, but then again, when you're the only one thinking your satire is funny, I still gotta question your sense of humor or lack thereof
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Really? I've loved my Wrens in variable breakable crust. They just blast through it if you stay centered with slight tip pressure. But then again, I'm the best skier on the mountain.
    I bought mine as my go to touring/slackcuntry/resort ski and they just weren't as versatile as I liked. I have found I like a ski with a touch more symmetry, no overly large tips for me. Also was not a big fan of the half twin for general touring purposes. Loved the ski in all other conditions, and they were super hard to pull the plug on.
    But then, I'm not the best skier on the mountain, but I can slarve down the fall line at a high rate of speed.
    Last edited by tuco; 06-02-2014 at 09:36 AM.

your emotional investment in needing me to be "butthurt" or whatever else you'd prefer, that's quite telling

You should change your screen name to Mr. Rogers cuz your livin' in the land of make believe.
    Being the eternal optimist that I am, I'm going to look on the bright side and say that is about the closet thing to funny you've posted yet. Brafuckingvo!
    You know what they say, 'If at first you don't succeed---'
    Come on creaky dinky, you gotta believe in yersef.
    Maybe you should start a foundation to find the cure for 'Creaky's Syndrome', aka Acute Anal Discomfort. You could be the Sally Struthers of TGR or whatever else you prefer

That's great, junior. You keep trying at that "comedy" thing now, you're bound to improve -- for surely, you can't get worse.

"As far as salve for your extreme butthurt, you're on your own there Liberace, but I'm sure this ain't your first rodeo." -Tuco

Taken totally out of context, this one is pure gold!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

koo koo koo! fratboy trustafarian humor! koo koo koo! hah hah I just spit on a homeless guy, LOSER! koo koo koo!

koo koo koo! fratboy trustafarian humor! koo koo koo! hah hah I just spit on a homeless guy, LOSER! koo koo koo!
    And you're not funny at all, regardless of context.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    And you're not funny at all, regardless of context.
    the arbiter of comedy speaks?

that's almost PBR-drinking, airbrush wolf t-shirt wearing, girl jeans shopping Hipster "irony" at work right there.

you apparently don't know what "context" means, or you have almost no imagination, or you think all comedy has to suit your silly little hipster distortion of what's actually funny. go ahead and tell us -- which alternative explains your pretense at the wisdom sufficient to speak for everyone's sense of what is or isn't funny?

hey Simeon: here's an idea -- drop the projection of wrong assumptions about another's mindset.

Simeon: here's an idea -- drop the projection of wrong assumptions about another's mindset.
    Your posts seem to serve no other function, so I made the assumption that you were trying to be funny, my bad if that's not the case.

I see you've broadened your vocabulary to include "hipster" as well as "trustafari". Inventive.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Your posts seem to serve no other function, so I made the assumption that you were trying to be funny, my bad if that's not the case.

I see you've broadened your vocabulary to include "hipster" as well as "trustafari". Inventive.
    This is brilliant. Standard douchebag fratboy trustafarian passive-aggressive un-comic "putdown" technique.

1) State, as if fact, your conclusion regarding your nemesis taunter's emotional/psychological motives.

2) Mock those motives in a person, thereby mocking your taunter -- but only in that metrosexual, fancy-pants, passive-aggressive way so often used by striver fratboys and patrician prepsters.

3) Be completely wrong about the projected motives that form the basis of the accusation.

4) Gloat about your "winning" un-comic "putdown."

5) Thereby resembling a doddering old Alzheimer's patient who walks out of the Denny's bathroom with his pants & underwear around his ankles and a wad of toilet paper stuffed up his crack, still trailing because never detached from the TP roller.

The pattern is remarkable. Every single arrogant fucktard in Maggotville uses this technique. Apparently, that's what is considered arch comedy at fraternities and debutante ball after-parties. But here's the big problem: not a single one of you is as funny as Chris Eigeman (or Whit Stillman's lines written for him) in Metropolitan.

Back on track: to know how to ski ANY ski made by dps, PM rontele. Not only will you get a knowledge drop on dps skis, you'll also earn a free earful on the nobility of AIPAC's agenda.